Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

7-Day Summer Shape-up, Day 6: Don't Stress

Posted by   + Show Post

Stress is your worst enemy when it comes to losing weight. Being frazzled all the time causes your body to continuously release the same hormones and chemicals it would if you were in danger. This can lead to overeating (belly bulges are directly related to stress) and more serious health problems including depression, high blood pressure, heart disease, and obesity.

Your goal for today -- and every day -- is to keep stress at bay!

Here are just a few ideas (please excuse the cliches -- hey, they're well-known for a reason!):

• Take deep breaths when you're feeling overwhelmed.
  • Take time for you. Even if you only have 10 minutes before bed, take that time to relax and even meditate.
  • Enjoy stress-reducing foods such as avocados, walnuts, wild salmon, and blueberries.
  • Have sex!
  • Cut back on caffeine.
  • Dance! Turn up the music and move it with the kiddos! (Bonus: Dancing burns calories!)
  • Get enough rest (ok, we know this one is hard, but try).
  • Laugh -- often!
  • Don't sweat the small stuff. It's almost never worth it.
  • Stop trying to do it all!
  • Get organized and try these anti-stress decorating tips.
  • And of course, exercise!

How do you keep your cool? Reply with your best stress-busters!

readingIf you missed yesterday's activity, you can find it here. To sign up for the 7-Day Summer Shape Up click here.

by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 12:17 AM
Replies (111-118):
SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Have sex...yes!

Nighttiger
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Working out every day definitely helps keep the stress level down.  DH and I also make sure to use nap time on the weekends for naked time. I really feel my stress levels rise if that time is missed.

northernmommy
by Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:10 PM

i'm HORRIBLE at de-stressing. it never fails that as soon as i try to relax someone or something makes it difficult.

la_bella_vita
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:54 PM

The have sex one is my favorite ;  )

andrea96
by Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Take a bath, read.

MOM2DMSD
by Member on May. 2, 2012 at 12:25 AM
I'm always running around, super stressed and trying to solve everyones problems. I've learned to say NO to people and I'm completely organizing my house so that everything is where it should be and I'm not running around like a crazy woman trying to find stuff.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lamontfamily
by on May. 2, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Having sex and getting ur self something nice or pampering ur self for doing a good job 

LindaClement
by on May. 7, 2012 at 5:04 PM

I'm a naturally laid back person, but even I have to work at staying cool in stressful situations.

One technique I use (usually after a close call on the road, with someone doing something sudden or idiotic in front of my car --you know the instant adrenaline pounding thing!) is to breathe really, really deeply, and while I'm breathing out, think (or chant) the mantra 'it's not what's happening now'... because it is over. I don't need to go on reacting to it.

I never started trying to 'do it all.' I'm way too much of a hedonist for that!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)