Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Eggs

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:39 PM
  • 15 Replies

So I have heard you are suppose to eat just egg whites and not the yolk. I also have heard even though the yolk is not that great for you that is where all the nutrients are. What is true?? I have tried to just eat the whites n not the yolk and it just doesn't feel me up but if I eat the yolk w the whites I tend to get full better.

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mama2gg
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:53 PM
They are not "bad for you" back in the 70's they THOUGHT they were bad for your heart they are not HOWEVER they have much highroad amounts of fat and cals in the yolk not a friend to someone trying to lose weight
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof3570
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Quoting mama2gg:

They are not "bad for you" back in the 70's they THOUGHT they were bad for your heart they are not HOWEVER they have much highroad amounts of fat and cals in the yolk not a friend to someone trying to lose weight

But if you eat them for breakfast it can't be that bad can it?

joeykttn
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:37 PM

There's less fats in the whites. I usually have 2 whites & 1 yolk. Here's 2 articles I found that were interesting..

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/healthy-breakfast-one-whole-egg-vs-two-egg-whites.html

http://www.fitsugar.com/Egg-Whites-vs-Whole-Eggs-7291034

BelindaDuvessa
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:40 PM

It's generally viewed as ok to eat the yolk of one egg, but use the whites only for the rest of the eggs, such as when making an omelet or Breakfast Burrito.

mama2gg
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:32 PM

no they are not BAD for you at all if you eat your cals properly then your good to go and watch fats and such MFP helps alot here I personally eat egg whites only cause I like to eat lunch and dinner more and like to save my cals for then! lol

Quoting momof3570:

Quoting mama2gg:

But if you eat them for breakfast it can't be that bad can it?

BelindaDuvessa
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:27 PM
BrittBurke
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:35 PM

The issue with the yolks that most people have is the cholesterol, however there are two kinds of cholesterol one bad and one healthy. Egg yolks have the healthy cholesterol in it, so it's actaully good for you. The only reason to really cut it out is if you have a cholesterol problem or are really cutting back on calories.. Whites only have 17calories whereas the whole egg is around 70calories

Stefanie83
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:36 PM
IMO the yolk is healthy. Sometimes I mix whole eggs and whites only if I need to to stay within my calorie goal :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Great information!

Quoting BrittBurke:

The issue with the yolks that most people have is the cholesterol, however there are two kinds of cholesterol one bad and one healthy. Egg yolks have the healthy cholesterol in it, so it's actaully good for you. The only reason to really cut it out is if you have a cholesterol problem or are really cutting back on calories.. Whites only have 17calories whereas the whole egg is around 70calories

AjCeCeMom
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:00 PM
Man, don't leave the yolk out! That's the best bit!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)