• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can't lose weight even when i exercise?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:29 PM
  • 13 Replies

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
littleacorn
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:31 PM
I'm going through the same thing. I work out about 8 hours a week (2hr/day 4x a week) and have been doing so for nearly 2 months--haven't lost any weight yet. It is EXTREMELY frustrating!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jendawn1
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:31 PM
What kind of exercise are you doing?how long are you exercising for? What are you eating? Are you counting calories? Do you know your BMR? How your water intake?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Vicenti
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:32 PM

I know it is i wonder what will work to lose the weight we have?

Vicenti
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:34 PM

I exercise 5 times a week in the mornings  doing zumba and regular aerobics high impact and i drink alot of water and i count my calories and i watch what i eat i would eat morning and lunch a huge  meal and dinner i won't eat lot. but all day i drink water no soda for me

cherinmichael
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:37 PM
Workout more? Eat more! I know the concept seems foreign in the land of starvation diets, but it works. I have lost 12 pounds in 3 weeks after adding 3-500 more calories to my diet when workin out hard. You can't starve yourself!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littleacorn
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:39 PM
I'm not the OP, but here is my workout schedule:
Monday: 1hr kickboxing, 1hr on CrossRamp
Tuesday: 1hr+ (usually runs over) Zumba, 35 minutes on elliptical, 15 minutes walking
Wednesday: 1hr yoga, 1hr on CrossRamp
Friday: same as Tuesday.
In general, I'm very active as well, gardening, cleaning, playing with kids

I eat mostly homecooked meals so it is virtually impossible to count calories, but I mostly eat fruits, veggies, whole grains, and lean meats. When doing a nutritional consultation with the fitness director at the gym, she said it looked like my main issue with food is not eating frequently enough :-S I'm working on my water intake. As of right now, I probably drink about 2 liters most days, but I'm trying to increase that.

Quoting jendawn1:

What kind of exercise are you doing?how long are you exercising for? What are you eating? Are you counting calories? Do you know your BMR? How your water intake?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
10mimutemommy
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:39 PM
If you are not eating enough calories to sustain your workouts your body goes into starvation mode and you won't lose weight.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
km1970
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Unfortunately, weight loss isn't linear. We think we have to eat less and burn more calories. Our bodies are funny, though. It needs fuel. Without the proper amount of calories, bodies "panic" and will store calories or it will start to burn lean muscle. We need lean muscle for proper weight loss. We must remember too, our hearts are a muscle.

There are other factors as well. Our sodium intake can make us hold onto water weight. Not drinking enough water can do the same.

When I started my weight loss journey, I stayed within 1100-1200 calories a day. Worked for awhile, but then I hit a plateau. After reading about BMR and what our bodies need to perform it's basic functions, I upped my calories to about 1500-1700. I started losing again. I paid more attention to sodium intake as well.

mcginnisc
by Claire on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Quoting littleacorn:

I'm not the OP, but here is my workout schedule:
Monday: 1hr kickboxing, 1hr on CrossRamp
Tuesday: 1hr+ (usually runs over) Zumba, 35 minutes on elliptical, 15 minutes walking
Wednesday: 1hr yoga, 1hr on CrossRamp
Friday: same as Tuesday.
In general, I'm very active as well, gardening, cleaning, playing with kids

I eat mostly homecooked meals so it is virtually impossible to count calories, but I mostly eat fruits, veggies, whole grains, and lean meats. When doing a nutritional consultation with the fitness director at the gym, she said it looked like my main issue with food is not eating frequently enough :-S I'm working on my water intake. As of right now, I probably drink about 2 liters most days, but I'm trying to increase that.

Quoting jendawn1:

It is actually very easy to count calories while cooking from scratch. I do it every day and have for several years now. Join a site, input what goes into what you make and they do it for you. 

I can bet that you are not eating enough to offset the exercise. You have to eat enough or you are in starvation mode and will store fat and burn lean muscle mass instead. 

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

mcginnisc
by Claire on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Quoting Vicenti:

I exercise 5 times a week in the mornings  doing zumba and regular aerobics high impact and i drink alot of water and i count my calories and i watch what i eat i would eat morning and lunch a huge  meal and dinner i won't eat lot. but all day i drink water no soda for me

Watch what you eat...what does that mean? Do you count calories? WHAT are you eating? 

If you don't count calories, I can bet that if you count for a few days, you will find that you are most likely not eating enough and you are in starvation mode. I can do your BMR for you. I need your age, height, weight and the number of days per week you workout. This will give you a range of calories to eat daily. I can also give you websites to join to count calories: www.myfitnesspal.com, www.sparkpeople.com, and www.livestrong.com.

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)