Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What's one mistake...

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:48 PM
  • 16 Replies

Name one (or more) weight-loss, exercise- or dieting-related mistake you have made in the past that caused problems with your ability to lose weight.

What did you do wrong?  How did you correct yourself?  ...and how did things change after your corrected yourself?

MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
km1970
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:58 PM
2 moms liked this

How about a decade long mistake??? I spent my entire 30's going after the quick fix. I tried countless diet pills. Hydroxycut, dexitrim, Alli, Slimquick, slim shots, Isagenix... just to name a few and then there was the costly LA weightloss which went under 2 months after I paid a ton of money.

What did it do? By not taking being healthy an losing weight I lost 10 years of my life. It was only last summer that I actually got into a bathing suit and actually swam with my daughters. I spent 10 years over weight. I was put on insulin resistance medications, depression medications, and cholesterol medications. I had no energy, no sex drive and I resigned to the fact that I was always going to be that way.

When I got serious. When I looked at this journey more for health and less about weight loss, I made changes. My mom was 42 years old when she had her first heart attack. I was 8-9 years old. She died on our living room floor and only by the grace of God, my dad just happened to be home that night. He traveled a lot and just on a whim came home that evening. If he hadn't I would have found her. It breaks my heart to think I was the same age as my youngest daughter and I could have been without a mother. My mother passed away last year at the age of 72. I would have missed out on 30 years with her. She would not have been there to see me get married or to see her grandkids.

I owe it to myself and my family to be the healthiest I can be.

km1970
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Oh..and I forgot to say how my life has changed since....I have lost 41 pounds, I am no longer on ANY medication. I feel better on the inside and outside.

BelindaDuvessa
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Biggest mistake, and it's one I repeat regularly, is not getting up and moving.  I eat decently healthy, but I have to exercise...otherwise I won't lose.  This picture pretty well describes it.

mes_deux_amours
by *Andrea* on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:13 PM
Deciding I no longer need to count calories and just "eat healthy and portioned foods". I quickly lose track and accountability that way and then eat chips and other garbage.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Threes.Company
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:16 PM

1)  Like the previous poster, I too made the mistake of going for a quick fix vs. a lifestyle change.  It resulted a lot of yo-yo dieting.  Losses and gains.  Back and forth.  Never consistent loss.

2)  I made the mistake of trying to cut my calories TOO much.  For some reason, I got it in my head that I should only eat 1200 calories a day... no matter how much I exercise.  That resulted in my body going into starvation mode and not losing any weight.  It also caused issues with exhaustion and moodiness from being so freaking hungry.

3)  I made the mistake of trying to work out too hard, too soon.  I was working so far into zones 4 and 5 that I was actually working AGAINST myself and thus I was not burning fat or losing weight... just burning sugars and exhausting myself.

4)  I never knew anything about heart rate zones and zone training before.  Enough said there.  My workouts didn't have any rhyme or reason.  I just did things to do it without thinking of what the goal was or why I was choosing a specific exercise over another.  I didn't have a HRM, so I never knew if I was working too hard or not hard enough.

5)  I told myself that as long as I did some exercise, I could eat what I wanted.  HA!  As if power-walking on a treadmill for 60 minutes means it is OK to eat 1000 calories of crap.  Not quite.

6)  I didn't do strength-training before.  Only cardio.  And whenever I would do that, I could lose up to a certain point and then that was it.  My body would plateau.

I have learned so much from my mistakes:

1)  This is a lifelong change, not just a quick fix.  I will never be "done" working out.  I will never be "done" eating healthy and making healthy choices.  This is forever.

2)  I need to eat to lose.  Knowing how much your body needs is essential for loss.

3)  I had to work on my endurance over time.  I used my heart rate monitor to track myself and did workouts in zones 2 and 3 often so I could build my endurance and increase the intensity of my workouts.  After over a year of this, my workouts are extremely intense compared to where I started.  But, it took time to build to this.

4)  Goes with 3.

5)  I DO earn extra calories for workouts... but it's not a free-for-all.  I still have to be careful and track what I eat, even if I worked out!  It's all about calories in and calories out. 

6)  Strength-training is KEY.  Building muscle does not bulk you up.  It doesn't turn you into a weird bodybuilder type.  It's what tones you up and makes you strong.  Building muscle actually helps you burn fat, too.  It's an important part of losing!

Once I corrected the issues, the weight I had been trying to lose for SO long, FINALLY started to fall off!  I've lost 18 lbs in the last 11 weeks, but I also lost 20 lbs last year, when I first got going...

jamms02
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:20 PM
When I was on a diet I used to take the wkds off. I used to justify it by saying I desrved a break. Then I would spend the week days trying to un-do the damage. Of course, I didn't accomplish anything and I'd blame the diet.
Now, I am not on a diet. I am changing my bad habits. Yes, I am using Weight Watchers, but notas a diet. I use it to improve my health. Now I say I deserve to chg my life. Since I believe it this time, there is no difference in a weekday or weekend. I strive to eat healthy and be active 7 days a week.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
swesolek6
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:30 PM
Being stubborn and doing more than I should have.i could have really hurt my knee. I accepted that there only so much I can do without hurting myself, and just added different things to my weight loss effort
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaKarrot
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:28 PM
1 mom liked this

My biggest mistake was when exercise became easier for me, I didn't eat to compensate for the hard/long workouts I was doing.  I've been in a pretty long plateau now (a few months) and I'm just now getting out of it because I'm eating more.

10mimutemommy
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:52 PM
I made the mistake of restricting my calories too much, I was only eating between 200 and 600 calories a day. Skipping breakfast, sometimes skipping lunch too and having a big dinner and a granola bar for a snack..... I had started p90x and no weight loss 3 weeks in!... Once my coach explained how you need to eat enough to fuel those workouts and you need to be balanced I started drinking shakeology for breakfast eating between 1500 and 1800 calories a day and the weight started falling off! I have lost 72 lbs so far, I am now a successful beachbody coach, I was able to quit my job, have more energy. More time with my kids.... And I plan to wear a bikini this summer!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
twnkedee
by Tia on Apr. 26, 2012 at 7:40 AM

My biggest mistake was thinking I could account for my cals in and cals out without journaling. I ended up gaining 10 pounds back. I learned that this is a process that takes hard work. I won't make the same mistake this time. I think I will even continue to journal after I reach my goal, just so I stay on track.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)