Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepping on the scale at the doctor's office

Posted by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 10:15 AM
  • 19 Replies
1 mom liked this

I went to the doctor yesterday and had to step on the scale.  I have lost 30lbs so it is not as dreaded as it used to be.  I weighed in at 140lbs and the nurse gives me a funny look and looks me up and down.  When you have been overweight you are sensitive to these looks and I'm trying to decide is she is surprised by how high or low the number was LOL.  I am only 5'2" and at my height this weight is at the high end of my healthy range so there is room for improvement, but coming from where I have been, I feel pretty good about how I look.  Hmmm wish I had the nerve to ask what she was thinking.

by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 10:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ashmom614
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this

screw whatever she was thinking!!! I know Id be conscious too but seriously, who cares what she thinks. You know YOU are doing better and that's all that matters!! Good luck to you. I am 5'2" also and 200lbs so...LOL you're doing a whole lot better than me!!

mantyangel
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Thank you.  You are right, I should just not care ... but it kind of surprises me that the inner self-conscious fat girl still sticks with me no matter what the outside looks like.  Oh well, it will always keep me sympathetic to everyone's struggle with body image. 

Quoting Ashmom614:

screw whatever she was thinking!!! I know Id be conscious too but seriously, who cares what she thinks. You know YOU are doing better and that's all that matters!! Good luck to you. I am 5'2" also and 200lbs so...LOL you're doing a whole lot better than me!!

raegansmom
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Maybe it was, "Wow!  How'd she do it?"  look?  Or a "She looks great!" look?

mantyangel
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 10:44 AM

I'm hoping that is what it was LOL 

Quoting raegansmom:

Maybe it was, "Wow!  How'd she do it?"  look?  Or a "She looks great!" look?

Ashmom614
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 10:55 AM

You're welcome. I am sure I will feel the same way someday (if I can EVER get this flipping weight off!)

Best to you!

Quoting mantyangel:

Thank you.  You are right, I should just not care ... but it kind of surprises me that the inner self-conscious fat girl still sticks with me no matter what the outside looks like.  Oh well, it will always keep me sympathetic to everyone's struggle with body image. 

Quoting Ashmom614:

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this

These ladies are right...maybe she was just impressed at all the weight you've lost and maybe she was a bit jealous!

Ngm82
by Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:47 PM
O thats great! Congratulations!! How long did it take you to lose all that wt? I am asking coz i'm also 5'2 and looking to lose abt 20 pounds.
And yeah screw her.. Next time u go pls pass on the same looks to her! ;)
rebekahmuse
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:49 PM

She probably saw your last weight on your chart and was suprised at how much you've lost. When I went to my WIC appointment 6 months after having my baby I'd lost 30lbs I think at that time. I got a few comments about how much I'd lost.

mantyangel
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:58 PM
1 mom liked this

It took me about 5 months.  I started by getting up in the morning and doing 30 minutes on my elliptical 5 days a week.  I also did pilates for toning about 2 times a week.  I changed my diet to lean meats, fruits, veggies, and natural carbs (rice, potatoes, etc.)  No sugar, added salts, or processed foods.   I would eat small portions every 2.5-3hrs to keep my blood sugars even and my metabolim burning.  It is hard work but worth because the numbers on the scale were going down pretty consistantly.  On tough days I would remind myself if I stay on plan I will weigh less tomorrow.

Now that I am more maintaining than losing I have added some treats back in my diet but within reason.  I  have been going to the gym to add strength training and am working on my running to do a 5K and maybe  a 10K by end of summer. 

And Thank you, I will have to work on my evil eye LOL

Quoting Ngm82:

O thats great! Congratulations!! How long did it take you to lose all that wt? I am asking coz i'm also 5'2 and looking to lose abt 20 pounds.
And yeah screw her.. Next time u go pls pass on the same looks to her! ;)

emeraldangel20
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 6:18 PM
1 mom liked this

i'd love to be 140 again

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)