Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

So discouraged and depressed...ready to just give up :(

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 12:31 PM
  • 26 Replies

I have been working so hard.  I have been watching my calories and eating healthy.  I track on MFP.  I know my BMR.  I am doing P90X 5 days per week.  I am in my 7th week of doing all this consistently and I have lost barely 3 pounds.  I have cut back on my sodium.  I am trying to eat as clean as possible and still nothing.  I feel like I am working really hard and yet I still have nothing to show for it.  It is so depressing I just want to curl up and cry.  Yesterday I was so depressed and stressed I ended up at Wendy's and ate a cheeseburger and fries (which I have not done in weeks).  I admit I have chocolate here and there but I log it and adjust my calories accordingly.  I am wondering if maybe there is something going on with me healthwise that is making it harder for me to lose.  A few years ago my doctor checked my thyroid levels and I was on the high side of the normal range.  I think I will have it checked again just to rule it out.  I just don't know.  Now I am rambling.

Yesterday I took my daughter shopping and as we passed by a mirror I barely glanced at myself and I wanted to die.  I felt like everyone was looking at me and wondering what I was doing in that store being as fat as I am.  I don't know what is wrong with me.  Well I do but dang this sucks :(

by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 12:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
parkersmama08
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 12:39 PM
Don't give up! Are you losing inches instead of pounds? I think its a good idea to see a doc but keep going, sometimes it just takes longer than we would like to see results.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JCTVCBN
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 12:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Sorry you feel that way mama.

About 2 months ago I started exercising, I do Yoga, Zumba, Tae-bo, bellydancing, and I sometimes walk for about 30 minutes, do bootcamp, and Will, Power, & Grace.

I have only lost 3 lbs.

It is very frustrating, but I will continue to exercise because I love doing all those things.

Try to look at what you're doing as a lifestyle change not as a diet.

If you don't enjoy what you're doing, change it up a bit.

Find something you really enjoy.

It will be much easier to stick with it if you actually enjoy it.

And if you fall, just pick yourself up again and keep on going.

You can do it mama.

Don't give up.

You only fail if you quit.

Good luck.

dmwood
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 12:49 PM
1 mom liked this

You can do this!

mcginnisc
by Claire on Apr. 27, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Will you please post a day's worth of food for me to look at? Sometimes another set of eyes helps. 

What is your BMR range and how many calories are you eating? Low range, mid range, high range? 

Do you have MFP set for what we told you your BMR is or what they give you? 

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

Threes.Company
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 1:43 PM
Are you eating back the calories you are burning? Or just eating the baseline calories MFP gives you?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cowboysgirl3227
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 4:50 PM

My BMR is 1616-2004.  I have MFP set at 1750 per day, when I add my exercise in it brings it to around 2100 but I am normally well below that usually around 1800 or so most days.

A typical meal day would be:

Fritatta made with 4 eggs and 1 egg white, 1/2 cup of mushrooms, zuchini, and onion, and about a 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese.  I cut this into 4 pieces.  I calculated each serving to be 277 calories. 

After my workout I will make me a smoothie with bananas, low-sodium peanut butter, 1% milk.  I only use one medium banana.  This has 305 calories.  I don't do this every day but sometimes I am starving and I need something but I can't eat so it works.

Lunch is something like a tuna salad.  I use light tuna in water with just a small amount of mayo with olive oil, no more than a tablespoon but usually a little less.  I put that over baby spinach and add tomatoes (I love cherry tomatoes), a tbsp of parmesan cheese, and 2 tablespoon of some type of nuts for crunch, usually I use pecans or almonds.  Sometimes I will eat a few triscuit crackers here too.  So lunch is around 425 calories.

Dinner I will make something like New York steak tips (either grilled or cooked in just a tiny bit of olive oil if I can't grill them.  Wild rice pilaf and roasted asparagus.  So dinner ends up being around 400 calories. 

I do get hungry again later in the evening so I will eat a serving of nuts or peanut butter, some dried fruit, cheese (low-fat), things like that.  I probably still have too many carbs and fats.  I am trying to fix it.  Any suggestions you have is greatly appreciated.  I know my blood sugar gets low if I don't eat frequently, I get shaky and dizzy, and terrible headaches.  I am working on my water intake too and it is better.  I bought some glasses that are 22 oz and I am trying to drink no less than 5 of them per day.

Quoting mcginnisc:

Will you please post a day's worth of food for me to look at? Sometimes another set of eyes helps. 

What is your BMR range and how many calories are you eating? Low range, mid range, high range? 

Do you have MFP set for what we told you your BMR is or what they give you? 

cowboysgirl3227
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Well I did not take my beginning measurements and I wish that I had.  I did measure myself the other day and will measure again in 2 weeks or so.  I know I am gaining muscle because I can feel it.  If I ever get this fat off I should have some pretty good tone.

Quoting parkersmama08:

Don't give up! Are you losing inches instead of pounds? I think its a good idea to see a doc but keep going, sometimes it just takes longer than we would like to see results.

cowboysgirl3227
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 4:54 PM

I think I am ok there.  My baseline on MFP is 1750 and after I add my exercise it goes up to around 2100.  I usually end up around 1800 or 1900.  I need to invest in a FitBit or something similar I think it would help me.

Quoting Threes.Company:

Are you eating back the calories you are burning? Or just eating the baseline calories MFP gives you?

cowboysgirl3227
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 4:56 PM

It is terribly frustrating.  I won't give up.  I can't give up.  I don't want to feel like this anymore and sooner or later I am going to get this figured out.  It can be so discouraging though.  I never expected it to just melt away easily but a pound or two lost here and there would be encouraging :)  Thanks for the kind words.

Quoting JCTVCBN:

Sorry you feel that way mama.

About 2 months ago I started exercising, I do Yoga, Zumba, Tae-bo, bellydancing, and I sometimes walk for about 30 minutes, do bootcamp, and Will, Power, & Grace.

I have only lost 3 lbs.

It is very frustrating, but I will continue to exercise because I love doing all those things.

Try to look at what you're doing as a lifestyle change not as a diet.

If you don't enjoy what you're doing, change it up a bit.

Find something you really enjoy.

It will be much easier to stick with it if you actually enjoy it.

And if you fall, just pick yourself up again and keep on going.

You can do it mama.

Don't give up.

You only fail if you quit.

Good luck.

mcginnisc
by Claire on Apr. 27, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Ok...your diet looks pretty good. 

The one thing I would suggest is if you are using MFPs numbers and adding exercise, you need to eat until it hits 0. This puts you at a 500 calorie deficit daily and a 1 lb loss weekly. 

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)