Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

I have a really stupid ot question

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 5:52 PM
  • 9 Replies
Can I put toys in the washer? to sanitize?i already FILLED my tub and I'm going to drain and let then sit for a while to attempt to dry them out, but I still have more toys to go...sorry if this is a really dumb question
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 5:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
BelindaDuvessa
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 5:57 PM

I would think the washing machine would be too harsh. Possibly the dish washer?  There's less space for them to move around.

babesprincess03
by Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 5:59 PM

yeah I would do the dishwasher as well

Threes.Company
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 6:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Not the washing machine, if that is what you meant.  The toys will wreck your washer if they are hard plastic.  They'll bang it all up.

You can put non-musical toys in the dishwasher as long as they are not super-thin plastic and you are not using the heated dry option.  The high heat of a dishwasher could actually melt some toys.  So you just have to be careful about which ones you choose.

I would look up the safe level of bleach water (I forget what the recommended amount of bleach is to water to make a safe mixture for kids toys -- you can Google it).  I would fill your tub with bleach water and let the toys soak for 5-10 mins and then rinse them and lay them out to dry. 

Again, just make sure they are not musical ones.  Otherwise those will be forever broken.

swesolek6
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 6:08 PM
I dont have a dishwasher =(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Livin4_AnO
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 6:17 PM
1 mom liked this
I use the bath tub with a little bleCh for my kids toys. I let them soak for like 10 mina and let them dry in there over night.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
swesolek6
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 6:18 PM
I guess I can do the rest tomorrow
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 28, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Yep, I agree:)

Quoting Livin4_AnO:

I use the bath tub with a little bleCh for my kids toys. I let them soak for like 10 mina and let them dry in there over night.

mama2gg
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 7:34 PM
Put them in boiling water
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BelindaDuvessa
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 7:57 PM

From Livestrong "How to Clean Children's Toys"
http://www.livestrong.com/article/198275-how-to-clean-childrens-toys-with-bleach/

This gives you the water ratio of 1/4 cup bleach to 1 gallon of water.  Here, you wash the toys with soap and water and sanitize by soaking in the bleach solution.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN