Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Calorie counting question...

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 5:15 PM
  • 25 Replies

Okay, for those of you who count calories...do you set your daily calorie goal to be your BMR range and then ignore the part where it tells you to eat your exercise calories back?  

For example, my range is 1550-1900, depending on what my workouts are each day...I've currently set my daily caloric goal to 1850, and of course it tells me to eat back my exercise calories burned...what do you ladies do?  

FYI - I'm sort of new to the whole calorie counting thing as I've been doing Weight Watchers for several months and I've recently changed to calorie counting as I haven't been eating near enough food and it's easier for me to do the calorie counting thing!  I'm using MFP, and I've set my daily goal to 1850 just as a general number, but there are days I eat closer to 2000 calories depending on what I've done for exercise.  For example today, I did Insanity Pure Cardio this morning and ran 5.5 miles this afternoon...I've eaten about 1750 calories so far today, including dinner...need to eat another small snack I'm thinking:)

So, my question is do you "eat back exercise calories" or just eat in your BMR range?

by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 5:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
km1970
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 5:22 PM

When I had my bmr calculated I was given a range..so what I did was manually set my calories to 1560. Somedays I eat over some days under, but above bmr minimum. I don't worry about eating my exercise calories back since I manually entered the number. I played around with calorie goals. I have found for me consistently eating 1500-1700 is allowing me to lose again. I was eating at 1200-1300 and my weightloss and measurements had stalled. I burn 275-350 each time I work out depending on what I do and intensity.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 29, 2012 at 5:25 PM

That's what I thought...thanks for your help:)

Quoting km1970:

When I had my bmr calculated I was given a range..so what I did was manually set my calories to 1560. Somedays I eat over some days under, but above bmr minimum. I don't worry about eating my exercise calories back since I manually entered the number. I played around with calorie goals. I have found for me consistently eating 1500-1700 is allowing me to lose again. I was eating at 1200-1300 and my weightloss and measurements had stalled. I burn 275-350 each time I work out depending on what I do and intensity.

Threes.Company
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 5:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, I eat back exercise calories.  My daily alotted calories are 1360 (to allow for a 750 calorie defecit, 1.5 lb loss per week).  Then I eat back whatever I burn off from there. 

cherinmichael
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 5:52 PM
I dont eat them all back, but I try to be mindful of how many calories I burn a day. If I burn 1000 calories (according to my fitbit and MFP), then I for sure will eat more. It took me a few weeks to get a good range that would allow me to lose. It takes some tweaking.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 29, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Where did you get te 1360 number from?  Is that your BMR or is that what MFP gave you?

Quoting Threes.Company:

Yes, I eat back exercise calories.  My daily alotted calories are 1360 (to allow for a 750 calorie defecit, 1.5 lb loss per week).  Then I eat back whatever I burn off from there. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 29, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Okay...thanks:)  Tweaking, here I come!

Quoting cherinmichael:

I dont eat them all back, but I try to be mindful of how many calories I burn a day. If I burn 1000 calories (according to my fitbit and MFP), then I for sure will eat more. It took me a few weeks to get a good range that would allow me to lose. It takes some tweaking.

Lesgerm
by Leslie on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:06 PM
1 mom liked this
I have MFP set to the middle of my BMR range, and I don't log my exercise.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stefanie83
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:12 PM
I set my goal to maintain and aim for 300-600 calories calories remaining. That's just how I like to do it. Lol. I used to aim for a bigger deficit but now that in closer to my goal I try to keep it smaller. Doesn't always workout that way. But the reason I set it to maintain is so my deficit is clear

My bmr is around 1400 now and I almost always eat well over that but I mostly just care about the deficit from my (tdee) total daily energy expenditure.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Threes.Company
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:41 PM

MFP suggets that given my height, age, weight, normal activity level, my target would be 2100 per day (to maintain).  So that, I assume is BMR plus activity.  They set me up at a defecit of 740 calories to allow for a 1.5 lb loss per week.  Thus, the 1360.

Because the activity level is set at "Active", my exercise (which is far more than just "active") is not included in those calories.  I consider my "active" lifestyle to be from being a SAHM to three kids... taking care of the house, running them all over town to their activities, etc.  So exercise calories go above and beyond that for me.  I eat those calories back since they aren't accounted for yet.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Where did you get te 1360 number from?  Is that your BMR or is that what MFP gave you?

Quoting Threes.Company:

MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Have you ever done your BMR for yourself?  MFP usually isn't accurate on that to be honest.  They always underestimate that for almost everyone I know that uses it!  You can go to this site and calculate your BMR and then use the Harris Benedict formula to see what you need each day to maintain your weight at your current fitness level.  I'm just saying that MFP is usually under what you should eat, that's all:)

Quoting Threes.Company:

MFP suggets that given my height, age, weight, normal activity level, my target would be 2100 per day (to maintain).  So that, I assume is BMR plus activity.  They set me up at a defecit of 740 calories to allow for a 1.5 lb loss per week.  Thus, the 1360.

Because the activity level is set at "Active", my exercise (which is far more than just "active") is not included in those calories.  I consider my "active" lifestyle to be from being a SAHM to three kids... taking care of the house, running them all over town to their activities, etc.  So exercise calories go above and beyond that for me.  I eat those calories back since they aren't accounted for yet.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Quoting Threes.Company:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN