Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Okay, for those of you who count calories...do you set your daily calorie goal to be your BMR range and then ignore the part where it tells you to eat your exercise calories back?  

For example, my range is 1550-1900, depending on what my workouts are each day...I've currently set my daily caloric goal to 1850, and of course it tells me to eat back my exercise calories burned...what do you ladies do?  

FYI - I'm sort of new to the whole calorie counting thing as I've been doing Weight Watchers for several months and I've recently changed to calorie counting as I haven't been eating near enough food and it's easier for me to do the calorie counting thing!  I'm using MFP, and I've set my daily goal to 1850 just as a general number, but there are days I eat closer to 2000 calories depending on what I've done for exercise.  For example today, I did Insanity Pure Cardio this morning and ran 5.5 miles this afternoon...I've eaten about 1750 calories so far today, including dinner...need to eat another small snack I'm thinking:)

So, my question is do you "eat back exercise calories" or just eat in your BMR range?

by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 5:15 PM
Replies (11-20):
Threes.Company
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:51 PM

It says my BMR is 1473.  That is higher than what MFP suggests for sure.  But then if you use the Harris Benedict Formula, you would not eat back your calories, correct?  Because it is asking about your activity level INCLUDING your exercise.  So, if I include my exercise via the formula, then I should not also eat back burned calories, correct?  My Harris Benedict total would be 2540.  But then, do I eat that every day?  Or only on the days I work out, you know?  MFP has me essentially eating around 1400 on non-workout days and when I do workout hard, I end up around 2300-2400.  So they are just about in the same range.  I am just wondering if I should eat big EVERY day or only eat big on days I am actually working out... you know?  I am wondering if MFP is lower BECAUSE they expect you to add on your workouts instead of just giving you a general estimation (like the Harris Benedict formula).  Does that make sense?

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Have you ever done your BMR for yourself?  MFP usually isn't accurate on that to be honest.  They always underestimate that for almost everyone I know that uses it!  You can go to this site and calculate your BMR and then use the Harris Benedict formula to see what you need each day to maintain your weight at your current fitness level.  I'm just saying that MFP is usually under what you should eat, that's all:)

Quoting Threes.Company:

MFP suggets that given my height, age, weight, normal activity level, my target would be 2100 per day (to maintain).  So that, I assume is BMR plus activity.  They set me up at a defecit of 740 calories to allow for a 1.5 lb loss per week.  Thus, the 1360.

Because the activity level is set at "Active", my exercise (which is far more than just "active") is not included in those calories.  I consider my "active" lifestyle to be from being a SAHM to three kids... taking care of the house, running them all over town to their activities, etc.  So exercise calories go above and beyond that for me.  I eat those calories back since they aren't accounted for yet.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Where did you get te 1360 number from?  Is that your BMR or is that what MFP gave you?

Quoting Threes.Company:

Yes, I eat back exercise calories.  My daily alotted calories are 1360 (to allow for a 750 calorie defecit, 1.5 lb loss per week).  Then I eat back whatever I burn off from there. 

MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Stefanie83
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 7:10 PM
Yea mfp doesn't go by bmr, but by TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) which of course is calculated from bmr. But then it just does the math. 500 calories from TDEE for 1 lb a week, 750 for 1.5 like you said etc. it's really just a different way of getting to the same point IMO ;).

Quoting Threes.Company:

It says my BMR is 1473.  That is higher than what MFP suggests for sure.  But then if you use the Harris Benedict Formula, you would not eat back your calories, correct?  Because it is asking about your activity level INCLUDING your exercise.  So, if I include my exercise via the formula, then I should not also eat back burned calories, correct?  My Harris Benedict total would be 2540.  But then, do I eat that every day?  Or only on the days I work out, you know?  MFP has me essentially eating around 1400 on non-workout days and when I do workout hard, I end up around 2300-2400.  So they are just about in the same range.  I am just wondering if I should eat big EVERY day or only eat big on days I am actually working out... you know?  I am wondering if MFP is lower BECAUSE they expect you to add on your workouts instead of just giving you a general estimation (like the Harris Benedict formula).  Does that make sense?

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Have you ever done your BMR for yourself?  MFP usually isn't accurate on that to be honest.  They always underestimate that for almost everyone I know that uses it!  You can go to this site and calculate your BMR and then use the Harris Benedict formula to see what you need each day to maintain your weight at your current fitness level.  I'm just saying that MFP is usually under what you should eat, that's all:)

Quoting Threes.Company:

MFP suggets that given my height, age, weight, normal activity level, my target would be 2100 per day (to maintain).  So that, I assume is BMR plus activity.  They set me up at a defecit of 740 calories to allow for a 1.5 lb loss per week.  Thus, the 1360.

Because the activity level is set at "Active", my exercise (which is far more than just "active") is not included in those calories.  I consider my "active" lifestyle to be from being a SAHM to three kids... taking care of the house, running them all over town to their activities, etc.  So exercise calories go above and beyond that for me.  I eat those calories back since they aren't accounted for yet.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Where did you get te 1360 number from?  Is that your BMR or is that what MFP gave you?

Quoting Threes.Company:

Yes, I eat back exercise calories.  My daily alotted calories are 1360 (to allow for a 750 calorie defecit, 1.5 lb loss per week).  Then I eat back whatever I burn off from there. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Threes.Company
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 7:16 PM

I prefer the MFP version since I put in my burned calories from my HRM.  There are some days when my exercise would qualify as "Active", some days when it is "Extremely Active", etc.  It depends.  I don't like how the Harris formula is essentially just guess-timating my burned calories instead of letting me add them back in.  I'd rather just do it manually each day so that I know what I need to eat speficially for that day instead of eating a ton of calories when I happened to have a less active week or something.

Quoting Stefanie83:

Yea mfp doesn't go by bmr, but by TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) which of course is calculated from bmr. But then it just does the math. 500 calories from TDEE for 1 lb a week, 750 for 1.5 like you said etc. it's really just a different way of getting to the same point IMO ;).

Quoting Threes.Company:

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Quoting Threes.Company:

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Quoting Threes.Company:

MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Stefanie83
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 7:18 PM
Can't disagree with you there. I love mfp!!! Lol :D

Quoting Threes.Company:

I prefer the MFP version since I put in my burned calories from my HRM.  There are some days when my exercise would qualify as "Active", some days when it is "Extremely Active", etc.  It depends.  I don't like how the Harris formula is essentially just guess-timating my burned calories instead of letting me add them back in.  I'd rather just do it manually each day so that I know what I need to eat speficially for that day instead of eating a ton of calories when I happened to have a less active week or something.

Quoting Stefanie83:

Quoting Threes.Company:

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Quoting Threes.Company:

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Quoting Threes.Company:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I see exactly what you mean...yes, with the Harris Benedict Formula, you would NOT eat back your calories.  I'm understand where you're coming from...you would essentially eat that much on the days you workout that much but then eat your lower range on the days you don't workout much or don't do any exercise at all.  

Thanks for explaining it the way you did...makes perfect sense to me:)

Quoting Threes.Company:

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Quoting Threes.Company:

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Quoting Threes.Company:

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Apr. 29, 2012 at 9:15 PM

I tend to stick to my BMR range or even slightly above, and I will eat according to my appetite, which naturally goes up when I work out, and down on days I don't, for the most part.  Having that range (which for me right now is 1584-1955) gives me the flexibility to consider what I'm burning in a workout or throughout the day.  That said, I know this is an imperfect system (is there a perfect one? LOL).  My FitBit says I burn about 3000 calories a day, so I try to stick toward the top of that range, in general.  I haven't been tracking my food lately (though I should be again).

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

twinsies041
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 9:43 PM

I set mine at the lowest point of my bmr and eat back some of my calories. :)

MamaNeeNee
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:17 AM
I jus always try to stay above my bmr.. Sometimes I eat them back and sometimes I don't. If I'm hungry I eat, if I'm not I don't.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
punkypoo1988
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:41 AM

I do eat my exercise calories. I use myfitness pal app and website. It has set my calorie goal at 1200 calculated on what I want to lose a week, lifestyle, age, etc. And when I log my exercise it adds the calories. Of course, it varies every day depending on my schedule and exercise. I think mixing up my calories and exercises has really helped the pounds start dropping off, slowly but surely. And by eating my exercise calories, I don't feel deprived. :)

BrittBurke
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:48 AM

I set mine for the lowest calorie count of my BMR. If I don't exercise that day, then that's all I eat. But if I am exercising than I make sure to eat more calories, or closer to the other end of my BMR. That's just been the easiest way for me

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN