Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Okay, for those of you who count calories...do you set your daily calorie goal to be your BMR range and then ignore the part where it tells you to eat your exercise calories back?  

For example, my range is 1550-1900, depending on what my workouts are each day...I've currently set my daily caloric goal to 1850, and of course it tells me to eat back my exercise calories burned...what do you ladies do?  

FYI - I'm sort of new to the whole calorie counting thing as I've been doing Weight Watchers for several months and I've recently changed to calorie counting as I haven't been eating near enough food and it's easier for me to do the calorie counting thing!  I'm using MFP, and I've set my daily goal to 1850 just as a general number, but there are days I eat closer to 2000 calories depending on what I've done for exercise.  For example today, I did Insanity Pure Cardio this morning and ran 5.5 miles this afternoon...I've eaten about 1750 calories so far today, including dinner...need to eat another small snack I'm thinking:)

So, my question is do you "eat back exercise calories" or just eat in your BMR range?

by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 5:15 PM
Replies (21-25):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 30, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Bump for Claire to see:)

mcginnisc
by Claire on Apr. 30, 2012 at 7:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I saw it gal! 

If you use the numbers that MFP gives you, you should eat back those calories. The sites are set up for you to hit 0 in your budget which should give you a 500 calorie deficit daily and a 1 lb weekly loss. If you use our numbers which already include exercise, you should not eat those calories back. 

So, the websites just go about it in a different manner as they expect you to enter your exercise into the site. It is the same way as BMR, but without exercise added originally. 

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

kissmiss213
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 7:54 PM

i never ate back my calories, since my bmr was higher because of working out, i just set it at my bmr. i ate 1660 or around there. i didnt ever log my calories burned tho either. i used caloriecount.about.com

Threes.Company
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 7:54 PM

That's what I thought, too!  Thanks for the confirmation!

Quoting mcginnisc:

I saw it gal! 

If you use the numbers that MFP gives you, you should eat back those calories. The sites are set up for you to hit 0 in your budget which should give you a 500 calorie deficit daily and a 1 lb weekly loss. If you use our numbers which already include exercise, you should not eat those calories back. 

So, the websites just go about it in a different manner as they expect you to enter your exercise into the site. It is the same way as BMR, but without exercise added originally. 

MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 1, 2012 at 5:22 AM

Okay...I see, makes sense to me now.  Thanks Claire!  You're the best!

Quoting mcginnisc:

I saw it gal! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)