Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Running with asthma

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:11 PM
  • 7 Replies
So I started running last week and I have asthma...and I'm really frustrated cuz I know my legs can run faster or Incan jog a Longer distance but my lungs feel like there going to give asthmatics like my legs say go and my lungs say stop I'm super frustrated idk wat to do
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Threes.Company
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Are you newer to running?  What other kinds of cardio have you been doing?

What medications are you taking to control your asthma?

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:49 PM

I have the same questions as the previous post:)

Vmarie0789
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 7:11 PM
I haven't ran since 2009 befor I had my girls, I do the Jillian micheals 30 day shred... Haven't done it in a while...I have albuterol for my asthma but it dosent work
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Threes.Company
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 7:22 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting Vmarie0789:

I haven't ran since 2009 befor I had my girls, I do the Jillian micheals 30 day shred... Haven't done it in a while...I have albuterol for my asthma but it dosent work

Ok, the first thing you should do is visit your physician to talk about asthma preventative medicines.  There are things you can take daily such as Asmanex, Pulmicort, Advair Disc, etc. that will help prevent issues so that you won't need your Albuterol as often.  At least, that is the goal.  It doesn't sound like you are doing anything to maintain your asthma right now.  You are only equipped with an emergency response system, but your body might need more.  Also to note:  pregnancy can affect your asthma and can change your asthma-related needs even after you are no longer pregnant.  So, if your asthma treatment plan was made before you had kids or while you were pregnant, it might need to be revisited.

AFTER you have dealt with getting your asthma under better control, I would start with jogging or power-walking first.  Since you have not run in a long time, your lungs are just likely not strong enough yet to handle to rigors of running.  Your lungs are muscles just like any other muscle group in your legs and arms, etc.  By not running in a long time, your lungs will be weaker.  It's kind of like doing no exercise for years and then suddenly doing level 3 of Jillian Michaels.  Likely, your legs and arms and core would struggle with that since they didn't have a chance to build up endurance.  You need to let your lungs build up their endurance before you can expect them to handle a long, fast-paced run.  Does that make sense?  It took me a good 6 months to work up to running.  I had to do regular, cardio workouts 5-6 times a week for months before my body and my asthma were both ready to take it on.  Now I'm in a groove and it is going well. 

Take care of yourself, above all.  Make sure you are getting that asthma treated.  If your albuterol is not working, that is concerning.  You shouldn't run at all if you know your rescue inhalor is not going to rescue you in the event of an attack.  Talk to your doctor asap, mama!

MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Apr. 29, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Quoting Threes.Company:

Quoting Vmarie0789:

Ok, the first thing you should do is visit your physician to talk about asthma preventative medicines.  There are things you can take daily such as Asmanex, Pulmicort, Advair Disc, etc. that will help prevent issues so that you won't need your Albuterol as often.  At least, that is the goal.  It doesn't sound like you are doing anything to maintain your asthma right now.  You are only equipped with an emergency response system, but your body might need more.  Also to note:  pregnancy can affect your asthma and can change your asthma-related needs even after you are no longer pregnant.  So, if your asthma treatment plan was made before you had kids or while you were pregnant, it might need to be revisited.

AFTER you have dealt with getting your asthma under better control, I would start with jogging or power-walking first.  Since you have not run in a long time, your lungs are just likely not strong enough yet to handle to rigors of running.  Your lungs are muscles just like any other muscle group in your legs and arms, etc.  By not running in a long time, your lungs will be weaker.  It's kind of like doing no exercise for years and then suddenly doing level 3 of Jillian Michaels.  Likely, your legs and arms and core would struggle with that since they didn't have a chance to build up endurance.  You need to let your lungs build up their endurance before you can expect them to handle a long, fast-paced run.  Does that make sense?  It took me a good 6 months to work up to running.  I had to do regular, cardio workouts 5-6 times a week for months before my body and my asthma were both ready to take it on.  Now I'm in a groove and it is going well. 

Take care of yourself, above all.  Make sure you are getting that asthma treated.  If your albuterol is not working, that is concerning.  You shouldn't run at all if you know your rescue inhalor is not going to rescue you in the event of an attack.  Talk to your doctor asap, mama!

I agree!  Get yourself to a doctor to find a preventative med that will work better for you.  Albuterol is only for once an attack starts, but prevention is much more effective (as with many other issues).

Threes.Company is always full of such good info!!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Threes.Company
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Quoting musicpisces:

Quoting Threes.Company:

Quoting Vmarie0789:

I agree!  Get yourself to a doctor to find a preventative med that will work better for you.  Albuterol is only for once an attack starts, but prevention is much more effective (as with many other issues).

Awww, thanks!! :)

MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:44 AM

Quoting musicpisces:

Quoting Threes.Company:

Quoting Vmarie0789:

I agree as well.  I started taking Advair about 8 yrs ago and have only reached for the other inhaler now maybe 5 or 6 times since.   You should definitely look into maintenance meds -it will help a LOT.   Also start slow and see how it goes. 

Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN