Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Another calorie question

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:22 PM
  • 7 Replies

MY BMR is just under 1600 with no exercise. but my HRM says that I have burnt off 1425 calories already today and it is only 12:30 here.  I am wondering if I need to eat under the calories that it says I have burned off, like say it says I burned 2,500 calories today, should I shoot to eat 2,000?

Cindy
Army wife, Full time college student, Soccer Mom of 6
My running blog
Follow me and learn all about my couch 2 5 K Journey
Wana B Runner

Want to know more about me?  Follow my blog
Married to the Military

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mrpeepers_mom
by Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Is it a Body Bugg or Fit bit, or just something like a Polar heart rate monitor? Only the ones that are like the Body Bugg and Fit Bit are meant to worn all day. Wearing a Polar HRM or something similar that is designed only to be worn during actual physical activity is going to give you an inaccurate measure of calories burned. 

momof5kiki
by Cindy on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Its a polar.  

ZakTuffMavsMom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:29 PM

If you are aiming for a 500 calorie deficit, then yes, you should eat 2000 if you burn 2500 for the day. I have a bodybugg and I watch it and create a 1000 calorie deficit for myself. I use it as a guide and don't worry about my BMR.

swesolek6
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:31 PM
Wait so you go below your bmr? can't that put you into starvation mode?

Quoting ZakTuffMavsMom:

If you are aiming for a 500 calorie deficit, then yes, you should eat 2000 if you burn 2500 for the day. I have a bodybugg and I watch it and create a 1000 calorie deficit for myself. I use it as a guide and don't worry about my BMR.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ZakTuffMavsMom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Oh, nevermind  I didn't realize it doesn't measure your overall daily calories burned. In that case, I don't know  LOL

ZakTuffMavsMom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Sorry, I should have explained that more. If you aren't exercising and burning a decent amount for the day you shouldn't have a 1000 calorie deficit, or you will set yourself in starvation mode. Like if you are only burning 2000 calories a day then you can't do that obviously cause then you will only be eating 1000 calories. I burn anywhere from 2400-2800 a day and eat between 1400-1800 which is in my BMR.

Quoting swesolek6:

Wait so you go below your bmr? can't that put you into starvation mode?

Quoting ZakTuffMavsMom:

Stefanie83
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:30 PM

HRMs aren't good at estimating calorie burns for daily activities.  your heart rate has to be up for them to estimate  :)  ...or something like that... lol.  so i definitely wouldn't go by that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)