Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Body Fat Percentage! *Update: Talked to my trainer!*

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:34 PM
  • 30 Replies
4 moms liked this

I do a team training program at my gym. We meet three times a week for an hour and work with a trainer. The team classes run as 3-month sessions. We do fitness testing, a weigh-in, and body fat measurements at the beginning, halfway through, and at the end.

Today was our last fitness test and measurement day for our current session. I got to see my card with my results from my last test about 7 weeks ago to compare to today.

My body fat percentage before was 20.8%. Today, my body fat percent was 12.2%!!! Even more astounding to me is that my waistline pinch test was a 14 before, and now it is at a 3!!  A freaking 3!  My thigh pinch test result before was a 25 and now it is a 14!!  I cannot even believe how much I have improved.  It's crazy!

Anyway, I just wanted to celebrate with you ladies!  :)  YAY!  12.2%!!!  I know I have seen scale movement, but these are some pretty big NSVs for me!

UPDATE:

Ok, I talked to my trainer this morning.  I did not misunderstand him.  My body fat percentage is 12.2% according to the measurements taken.  I asked if he had done the pinch test on more locations, would that have given a more thorough answer.  He said it would, but that the other places that they do they test would not really be places where I (personally) am storing a lot of fat -- and that likely my results would be around the same.  I am going to do a more full test on Friday morning to see what it says.  He'll just do the measurements on more than just the three locations.

He then added that the test is not exact and that it can be off by 3-5% either way.  So, my results could be between 13.2-15.2%.  I asked him if all these numbers are too low.  He said they are on the lower end, but that they are not "too low".  He basically said I don't have much more fat to lose... My weight loss challenge ends on Saturday, so once I get to that point, he basically thinks it is time to switch to maintenance rather than loss.  I think he said under 10% is when you start getting into that extremely low range...

Just wanted to come back and explain what he had to say!  :)

MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bearsbabies
by Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:36 PM
hey kudos to u!!! u should b so proud of ur self!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nlonnon
by Tasha on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:38 PM
Wow that's awesome!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Elise_Gurrola
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:38 PM
w2g. that is awesome. keep it up
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AdellesMom
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:39 PM
That's awesome!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Threes.Company
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Sorry, my stupid phone cut off the second half of my message!  I fixed it! :)

Thanks for all the supportive words, ladies!  I appreciate it! :)

wahmx3
by Shelley on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:45 PM

I have no idea what the numbers mean, but sounds like you have been working hard and it shows. Somehow a 12.2% body fat sounds low, feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Lesgerm
by Leslie on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:49 PM
That's awesome!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
swesolek6
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:53 PM
I thought this toooooo at first,i thought women were spoofed to have a17%-22%? I could be very wrong though lol congrats momma!

Quoting wahmx3:

I have no idea what the numbers mean, but sounds like you have been working hard and it shows. Somehow a 12.2% body fat sounds low, feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Threes.Company
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Quoting wahmx3:

I'm actually not sure.  I'll ask my trainer tomorrow.  I was on the StairMaster when he was showing me my results, so I did not ask for the ranges.  Maybe he calculated it wrong?  I'm  not sure.  The measurements don't mean much on their own.  They are just what is used to determine your body fat percentage.  I don't know what their equation is for figuring it out.  I will ask.  I don't think it is low.  From what I read online, it would put me in the "lean" category instead of "ideal".  But, I will ask and get back to you!

Threes.Company
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Quoting swesolek6:

I thought this toooooo at first,i thought women were spoofed to have a17%-22%? I could be very wrong though lol congrats momma!

Quoting wahmx3:

I will find our from my trainer tomorrow when I stop in.  I'll have him tell me the ranges.  Either he did the math wrong, or I am just in the lean category now.  I don't know.  I am definitely not too thin!  I've been 17 lbs lighter than this before!  I do a lot of strength-training, though, and I have lost 19 lbs... I do have fat on me, just no where near what I had before. 

I will get back to you ladies after I talk to him tomorrow and find out!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)