Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

for those of you

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 7:26 PM
  • 12 Replies
for those mama's who just walk and count your calories...is it effective?

motivational stories please
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 7:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Stefanie83
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 7:57 PM
I have a friend on mfp who counts calories and walks during her lunch break and she's lost 50 lbs in about 9 months I believe. :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Threes.Company
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it all depends on your starting point.  If you are a person who is very overweight and currently does little or no exercise at all, then yes... calorie-counting and walking --alone-- will help you drop a lot of weight!  After a while, though, your body will require more cardiovascular work to lose weight.  You might have to increase your walking speed... then your walking distance... and then eventually you might have to switch to a jog or a run.  Please tend to plateau with weight loss when their bodies become accustomed to the workouts they are doing.  The workouts are then not pushing them and so the results they get are totally different. 

It's a great starting point for some people, though!  If you try it out and you aren't really losing (and you know your BMR and are eating correctly), that might just be a sign that for you personally, walking may not be enough.  You just have to play around with it and see how your body reacts!

Good luck!!

sokolowski
by Lady T on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:23 PM
what is mfp

Quoting Stefanie83:

I have a friend on mfp who counts calories and walks during her lunch break and she's lost 50 lbs in about 9 months I believe. :-)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cherinmichael
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:24 PM
I love walking, and while it's not the only exercising I do-I feel it's something good to supplement what I do. Bottom line, something is better than nothing! If you like to walk-then walk!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
al09
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:28 PM

I totally agree. I love to walk. I just don't think that could be ALL I do.

Quoting cherinmichael:

I love walking, and while it's not the only exercising I do-I feel it's something good to supplement what I do. Bottom line, something is better than nothing! If you like to walk-then walk!

ZakTuffMavsMom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:30 PM
1 mom liked this

That's exactly how I started, and you have to start somewhere. After a while, walking snowballed into me being able to run. I started at 203 and I am now 160.

cherinmichael
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:30 PM
Agreed-I can't walk brisk enough lol.

Quoting al09:

Quoting cherinmichael:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:55 PM
MFP= myfitnesspal.com Go check it out! It's free!
I agree, depending on where you're starting out, walking can be great, but if you're close to your goal weight and not particularly out of shape, it won't be enough. Diet/food intake really is 80% of the battle, and that can make a significant difference on its own, depending on how you eat before the changes. Logging your food can be very eye-opening, and will help keep you accountable.
Choosing one form of exercise exclusively does eventually stop working. Your body adapts. You want to find a variety of forms of exercise that you can stick with, ideally. There are plenty of at-home workouts out there if getting to a gym isn't feasible (I've lost most of my weigh without a gym membership).
Good luck!!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

sokolowski
by Lady T on May. 1, 2012 at 12:12 AM
wat all did you do just walk? thats where I am and that's where I wound like to be?

Quoting ZakTuffMavsMom:

That's exactly how I started, and you have to start somewhere. After a while, walking snowballed into me being able to run. I started at 203 and I am now 160.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sokolowski
by Lady T on May. 1, 2012 at 12:15 AM
so wat All do you do

Quoting al09:

Quoting cherinmichael:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN