Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Surgery

Posted by on May. 1, 2012 at 12:30 PM
  • 5 Replies
I am scheduled to have surgery on May 11th. I am having a tubal ligation and endometrial ablation. I don't believe I will be down for too long, but I am wondering if there is anything I should consider regarding my diet and exercise around this time.

I don't want to gain weight during this time, and if possible, I'd still like to continue losing. Is that realistic?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 1, 2012 at 12:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mama2gg
by on May. 1, 2012 at 12:41 PM
I had lap for bicornet uterus corrections and pocs removal I was down about 3 days and back to work in a week I ate the same as always

Ask doc to be sure
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
musicpisces
by Suzanne on May. 1, 2012 at 12:52 PM

You'll want to eat closer to your BMR- you won't be burning calories by exercising for at least a little bit.  Your body will require a few more calories than it would if you were simply being sedentary, because it takes more calories to heal (increase your protein for the first few days), but the calorie difference won't be huge.  Talk to your doctor about when it's safe to exercise.

Good luck with the surgery!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Threes.Company
by on May. 1, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Your pre-surgery diet and exercise should not matter.  I would talk to your doctor about the specifics regarding when you are cleared to continue working out after.

If you are careful about eating the right amount of calories (do you use MFP?) during the time you are unable to work out, you should not gain.  You might not have big losses during that time, but maintaining is totally possible.  With MFP, you are given an estimate for daily calories based on your BMR and your normal daily activity.  For the days you are recovering, change your goals so that you list your activity as "sedentary".  That way your suggested calories will go down to reflect the fact that you are pretty much going to be sitting around while recovering. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 1, 2012 at 4:44 PM

I agree with these ladies...good luck mama!

TessB
by on May. 1, 2012 at 4:48 PM
Thanks ladies! I'll lower my calorie goal on mfp to be closer to my bmr and do what I can, when I can :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)