Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am SO confused

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:07 AM
  • 15 Replies

This morning, I decided to do a body fat calculator on Fat2FitRadio.com just to see a general idea of where I'm at and where I should be. Thing is, according to that website (and a few others that I did because I'm a bit baffled), I'm at 28.8% body fat which is perfectly acceptable for women...it's not even considered overweight. But...I'm almost 240 lbs. And I'm only 5'6". It says that my lean body mass is 161 lbs, so according to them I shouldn't weigh less than 215 lbs. How can that be correct? I'm so confused...

by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mama2gg
by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:23 AM
It's not dear not sure what you used but your bmi index is 38.1% with that height and weight

"BMI is between 35-39.99 (Obese Class 2) If you have a BMI of 35-39.99 your risk of weight-related health problems and even death, is severe. See your doctor and reduce your weight to a lower BMI."- off bmi website
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rockinmomto2
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2012 at 8:24 AM

To me, that sounds much more accurate, but I've been told that body fat is a better way of calculating how healthy you are.

Quoting mama2gg:

It's not dear not sure what you used but your bmi index is 38.1% with that height and weight

mom_of2_n_twins
by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:26 AM

I have no idea how that works. I would rather just go to some place and have them calculate my body fat percentage then to figure it out myself. Then again I'm not good with math so...

momof3570
by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:26 AM

How do u figure your bmi out?

mama2gg
by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:27 AM
Personally I don't worry about bmi or any other numbers if you look,feel and know your over weight you are :)

When i started working out and eating right I was over weight period still am over weight and I won't stop losing till I personally feel good that bmi thing runs both ways

Bmi says I'm healthy at 125 lbs but I know what I look like at the weight yuck I'm shooting for 145-150

Quoting rockinmomto2:

To me, that sounds much more accurate, but I've been told that body fat is a better way of calculating how healthy you are.

Quoting mama2gg:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama2gg
by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:29 AM
http://www.bmi-calculator.net/

Quoting momof3570:

How do u figure your bmi out?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Threes.Company
1 mom liked this

A person who is 5'6" should not weigh 215 lbs.  I would not trust that website for a second if that is the kind of information they are giving you.  Do you have a link to the specific part of the website that helped you calculate this?

rockinmomto2
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2012 at 8:29 AM

There are a bunch of different websites that you can use. They take your weight, gender, wrist circumference, forearm circumference, waist inches, and hips inches.

Quoting mom_of2_n_twins:

I have no idea how that works. I would rather just go to some place and have them calculate my body fat percentage then to figure it out myself. Then again I'm not good with math so...

mama2gg
Here ya go no muss no fuss easy way to do it

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/

Quoting mom_of2_n_twins:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom_of2_n_twins
by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)