Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

How do you eat well when on a tight budget?

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:58 AM
  • 25 Replies

So my hubby isn't working at the moment, and I only work part time and don't make much money either. So my problem lies in that I want to lose weight and eat healthy, but all the really healthy stuff is so expensive! Plus my dh won't eat any of it so its not like I can buy in bulk and save because otherwise it all goes bad before I can eat it. Anyone else have this problem? Any ideas?

by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ashmom614
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Id love ideas as well. I REALLY need to cut down my budget but it seems so hard to do when I want to buy all veggies and fruits and healthy options.

Stay away from processed junk-that stuff is in NO way cheaper than buying certain fruits and veggies.

EiuGirl316
by Leah on May. 2, 2012 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Have you considered frozen fruits and veggies? It's not fresh or anything, but you'd still be getting it that way. 

EmilyMarshall
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:42 AM
bump

Aspiemom0203
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:43 AM

I'm on a strict budget too. I buy seasonal fruit & veggies only. Also, there are many farms that do pick your own (strawberries, blueberries, ect). They can be frozen Before washing. Put them on a cookie sheet on a single layer and put in freezer. Once frozen they can go in a ziplock bag and you will be able to pull out only what you want since they are now individual. I also make my own sugar free jam. Its easy and lasts for a year. I buy meat from a butcher. They are popping up everywhere and do not have preservatives. Also great prices. Bread (wheat only) from the bread store. Try planting your own herbs, tomatoes, ect. It helps to flavor food without all the salts.

randomosityblog
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:48 AM
2 moms liked this

We shop at the farmer's market. Super cheap compared to the store, and much better tasting.

ShellGardner
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:48 AM
I spend less on a diet then when not. I go to Costco and buy some ground turkey( love tacos) I buy a big bag of chicken breasts and a few bags of tilapia. That might be around 100 and should last the month oh yeah we also get lunch meat at Costco so that's maybe 120 I weigh all of my meat and it lasts so much longer. You don't realize how much you actually eat. The diet we are going off is the zone in ten days i had lost 7 lbs and dh 20. Oh yeah we spend about 40 per week on fruits and veggies
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PookaboosMom
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:50 AM
Shop sales. Frozen veggies is a staple to us....especially broccoli. We just steam it and eat salt and pepper on it, cheap, simple, and healthy. I also look for lean meats that are marked down because they are near the expiration date. Either cook them right away or freeze them. Make sure your not cooking more than what will be ate, as long as everyone gets a good serving, no one will be overly full, just satisfied. Don't toss any left overs, eat them for lunch.

I've recently cut out nearly all pastas and other carbs. I only buy fruits, veggies, milk, and meat. I buy at lot of stuff discounted because they are near expiration. What I do then is prepare them however we're going to eat them and then freeze them. All I have to do then is thaw it out or heat it up when we want it.

It has saved me a ton.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
joeykttn
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:57 AM

I cook in advance for me, because my kids don't like alot of what I eat now (whole wheat pasta, etc). I made a spinach turkey lasagna, cooked it, then cut into portion sizes, and froze it. I did the same thing with lentil soup, a chicken & rice dish I made. Not only did this eliminate me wasting it due to not eating it fast enough, it made my lumches & dinners alot easier. Nothing sucks more then having to make 2 meals everytime you cook..lol

I shop sales alot, buy store brand whenever I can, use coupons (but rarely because alot of it is processed crap). I scope out reduced produce & meats as well. I buy meats in bulk, take home & divide into amounts needed for meals, then freeze. So one large package of chicken breast is like 15 bucks, but is at least 3 meals for 3 adults & 2 toddlers.

Jace1028
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2012 at 12:01 PM

I have this problem as well, or I did before I started selling books and making money. We had very little grocery money and my husband liked junk. Frozen pizzas, corndogs, chips, cookies, hot pockets, etc. (And he is skinny, go figure =\) Now, I like those foods, anything bad basically tastes good. LOL, but I wanted healthier things. It was so hard to balance because he wouldn't touch whole grain or reduced fat anything. or fruits or veggies. He wanted WHOLE milk, he wanted butter, he wanted chocolate syrup with tons of sugar. It was hard, but I put a little more aside for groceries and took a little less out for gas, giving up any trips to town that I could do without. Now, I have a higher budget and can buy better foods.

Thankfully, he is starting to want to eat healthier, so I brought him over from the dark side!

lostmommy326
by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:03 PM

i have this prob as well....i got a limited amount i can spend on food n got to buy for the whole house cuz nobody else helps n me wanting to buy healthier food for myself that nobody else will eat n me having to buy food for everyone else is a big problem.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)