Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

can I REALLY lose weight with " Kick-boxing" work-outs?

Hello again!

Well I am 280 lbs, for the past 2 weeks I've been starting to exercise more and track what I eat on myfitnesspal.com... well I just did this kick-boxing video I found on Netflix and on 10 minutes alone I was SWEATING and really felt my muscles in action, and it seemed too fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so Tell me! can I really burn fat and gain muscle with eating less(I have cut like 1000 calories of my daily regular consumption) lol and doing this fun punching, kicking in place and jogging place kind of stuff?

Have you???

Thanks for clicking! 

by on May. 3, 2012 at 3:55 AM
Replies (11-19):
Stefanie83
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2012 at 8:51 AM
1 mom liked this
I think she means she was eating 3500 and cut it to 2500 :)

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Where did you get this number from?  Do you know your BMR?

Quoting psychobilly_mom:

I would normally eat like 3500 calories

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CLEKate
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2012 at 9:16 AM
You aren't going to gain muscle from kick-boxing. It takes women months of heavy lifting and lots of reps to gain muscle. Our bodies aren't designed to gain muscle easily. Weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise related. So if you eating better, the weight should come off.
mcginnisc
by Claire on May. 5, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Quoting CLEKate:

You aren't going to gain muscle from kick-boxing. It takes women months of heavy lifting and lots of reps to gain muscle. Our bodies aren't designed to gain muscle easily. Weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise related. So if you eating better, the weight should come off.

No, she won't gain muscle just by doing kickboxing. It is false that it takes months of heavy lifting to gain muscle. You don't have to pull heavy weights in order to build muscle. As long as you do strength training, eat enough protein, eat cleanly and drink enough water, you can gain muscle quickly. 

However, the OP is not looking to gain muscle right now. She is asking if she can lose weight with this type of cardio. Which, the answer is yes she can...there are other variables at work though- she needs to eat enough calories, drink enough water, eat cleanly and incorporate other workouts besides kickboxing- like weights, pushups, and vary her workouts. Muscle confusion is the key to weight loss when it comes to exercise. By incorporating weights of any kind, she will be building muscle and torching fat while doing so. 

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

itsm3
by on May. 5, 2012 at 10:59 AM

as long as you're doing cardio, your heart is pumping and you're eating well, you will lose weight.  

visit me at my blog:  vodka and soda | www.lifeinprogress.ca

i'm charting my progress of the 30-day shred  |  journey to a healther me

Ngm82
by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:06 AM
Wow cutting off 1000 cals ia huge achievement! I took a trial class for kick boxing once.. It was pretty intense. I think it should work well for u.. May be u can add some cardio later.
psychobilly_mom
by on May. 5, 2012 at 3:35 PM
2 moms liked this

well I started posting what I normally eat on mfp... it was 3,000 somethig lol then I just started cutting back on my multiple daily cupcake consumption... that was 1000 calories alone lol 

connorsmom1977
by on May. 12, 2012 at 12:32 PM
Hi mama! Have Claire do ur bmr & smart from there. I eat appx 1700 a day & to lose 2 lbs a week I have to burn 1000 cals a day. Thats including just normal activity like walking around at work, at home, etc. I invested in body media fit core system to keep track of exactly what I burn & I know several on here use the bodybugg system. Good luck mama!!

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Nykkii
by on May. 12, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Yes, you can.  Kick boxing is great cardio, which is especially great for burning stomach fat. 

When you start working out, you need to make sure you are eating enough though.  You should give Claire (mcginnisc) your information so she can figure it for you.  Or you can google it and try to do it yourself.  It sounds like you're on the right track.  :) 

queenamy
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 11:37 PM

hows ur weight loss, 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN