Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Foot Pain HELP

Posted by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:18 AM
  • 15 Replies
It always seems to happen my left foot just can't handle any type of intense working out. When I started running I got so much pain on the top of my foot along the bone over the arch that runs to the big toe that I had to stop. Now I'm doing the 30 day shred and by day 8 it was becoming very hard to keep with the jumping it hurt so bad. I don't want to stop working out I want to lose about 15lbs and tone up but I also don't want to seriously injure myself. I don't have any medical insurance so I can't see any dr about it and I'm sure they would tell me to stop what I'm doing and give myself 6 weeks to heal but I'm going on vaca in 10 weeks.

Can anyone tell me what I can do to get through the workouts??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
roxysmommy
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:24 AM

I got a lot of foot pain during exercise until I discovered going barefoot. After a few weeks of exercising barefoot (and also in my VFF's) my foot built up the muscles I was lacking and no more pain.

Too.Cute
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:26 AM
Quoting roxysmommy:

I got a lot of foot pain during exercise until I discovered going barefoot. After a few weeks of exercising barefoot (and also in my VFF's) my foot built up the muscles I was lacking and no more pain.

I work out barefoot because I do it in my home. :) I've been getting leg pain for the past week. It's odd to me because the first weeks I worked out I was fine. I'm hoping it's just a weather change kinda thing :)
roxysmommy
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:38 AM

What kind of surface are you doing it on? I find if I don't wear my VFF's on carpet the sliding can cause discomfort because i'm trying not to slide at the same time I'm trying to do the move.

Quoting Too.Cute:

Quoting roxysmommy:

I work out barefoot because I do it in my home. :) I've been getting leg pain for the past week. It's odd to me because the first weeks I worked out I was fine. I'm hoping it's just a weather change kinda thing :)

othermom
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2012 at 10:39 AM

I am not sure, I have an issue with the bottom of my left foot hurting. I wish I had soem tips for you

Too.Cute
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:40 AM
Quoting roxysmommy:

Tile. What is VFF?
roxysmommy
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Sorry, it stands for Vibram Fivefingers. They are a barefoot style shoe. Not too much sliding on tile, your feet probably stick pretty well. How long have you been doing it barefoot?

Quoting Too.Cute:

Quoting roxysmommy:

Tile. What is VFF?

KCisPaulsMom
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2012 at 11:24 AM

OP... I think it is important that you figure out what is causing this pain before you can find a solution. I have really flat feet. Due to the lack of arches ... I was getting some pain in my heels. So, I found that wearing shoes with good arch support was a very big help.

Do your ankles roll in or out? Anything you can think of that would cause some pulling on the top of your foot?

Quoting tbarnes895:

It always seems to happen my left foot just can't handle any type of intense working out. When I started running I got so much pain on the top of my foot along the bone over the arch that runs to the big toe that I had to stop. Now I'm doing the 30 day shred and by day 8 it was becoming very hard to keep with the jumping it hurt so bad. I don't want to stop working out I want to lose about 15lbs and tone up but I also don't want to seriously injure myself. I don't have any medical insurance so I can't see any dr about it and I'm sure they would tell me to stop what I'm doing and give myself 6 weeks to heal but I'm going on vaca in 10 weeks.

Threes.Company
by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:01 PM

I would go to a running store to be properly fitted for a shoe, by a professional.  You need to go to a specialty store.  Do not rely on some teen who's working at a sports store to know anything about fitting you for shoes.  Other than knowing what they have in stock and handing you different pairs, they aren't trained for that.

It sounds like your pain may be related to your arches.  Working out barefoot might not be something that is good for your feet, in particular.  Everyone's feet are totally different.  You might need a shoe (and possibly even an insert) that will give your arches the support they need for you to work out pain free.

I would look up running shoe stores in your area to see if you can find somewhere to go to be properly fitted.

tbarnes895
by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:02 AM
I overpronate never was an issue till I had my son who is 2 1/2 though. I bought shoes that were supposed to help with overpronating and problems associated with Qing and I stopped having the pain and problems with running but wearing them doing the 30 day shred doesn't seem to help because the pain is back. I think my only solution right now is to substitute all the jumping cardio with a less intense one like punching but I know I'm not gonna get the same results that way. I took yesterday off from working out and may take today too but I'm gonna get back into it and do some really big modifications I think.

I doubt barefoot would be a good idea with my overpronating I would probably end up with serious ankle problems after a couple days.

Quoting KCisPaulsMom:

OP... I think it is important that you figure out what is causing this pain before you can find a solution. I have really flat feet. Due to the lack of arches ... I was getting some pain in my heels. So, I found that wearing shoes with good arch support was a very big help.

Do your ankles roll in or out? Anything you can think of that would cause some pulling on the top of your foot?

Quoting tbarnes895:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
itsm3
by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:55 AM

i would get fitted for a proper shoe.  and working out in barefeet is not good for you.  it's puts tremendous strain on your feet, arches, joints, knees and hips.  

go to a shoe store and get a good cross training (or running shoe depending on your workouts).  also, it would be wise to go see a podiatrist.  perhaps they can recommend something (ie. some kind of orthotic) but you NEED foot support while working out.

visit me at my blog:  vodka and soda | www.lifeinprogress.ca

i'm charting my progress of the 30-day shred  |  journey to a healther me

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN