Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Runners

Posted by on May. 4, 2012 at 2:28 PM
  • 18 Replies

All you runners that just run and not do anything else for weight loss can you please share your story. Thanks a bunch!

by on May. 4, 2012 at 2:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mama2gg
by on May. 4, 2012 at 3:14 PM
Bump for you I won't run too hard on my knees
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shawna510
by on May. 4, 2012 at 3:17 PM
I just started running about 6 weeks ago. When I started I was 223, I weighed in this morning at 212. I am beginning to really enjoy it, I find myself thinking about running. I'm not going for skinny, I'm going for a nice runners butt and healthy. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof3570
by on May. 4, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Quoting Shawna510:

I just started running about 6 weeks ago. When I started I was 223, I weighed in this morning at 212. I am beginning to really enjoy it, I find myself thinking about running. I'm not going for skinny, I'm going for a nice runners butt and healthy. Lol

Do you run on a treadmill or outside? Are you doing anything else on the side besides running like lifting weights?

mcginnisc
by Claire on May. 4, 2012 at 3:19 PM
1 mom liked this

There are not many runners out there that don't cross train in some form. It makes runners faster and more efficient when they do other workouts and include weight training. 

Personally, I run 3-4x per week as running more than that is not great for your body as it needs days off to rest. Then, 6 days per week I do a Beachbody DVD-currently Asylum as it incorporates strength and a ton of cardio. 

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

Shawna510
by on May. 4, 2012 at 3:20 PM
Outside. I use my exercise band, mostly for stretching. I use the Xbox and do Zumba sometimes too.

Quoting momof3570:

Quoting Shawna510:

Do you run on a treadmill or outside? Are you doing anything else on the side besides running like lifting weights?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof3570
by on May. 4, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Quoting mcginnisc:

There are not many runners out there that don't cross train in some form. It makes runners faster and more efficient when they do other workouts and include weight training. 

Personally, I run 3-4x per week as running more than that is not great for your body as it needs days off to rest. Then, 6 days per week I do a Beachbody DVD-currently Asylum as it incorporates strength and a ton of cardio. 

I am not really looking to lose any more weight as I think I have reached my limit bec my body doesnt' want to see to budge anymore so I thought maybe just tone things up and I thought maybe I could try running for awhile as i am getting bored with the workout videos.

mcginnisc
by Claire on May. 4, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Quoting momof3570:

Quoting mcginnisc:

I am not really looking to lose any more weight as I think I have reached my limit bec my body doesnt' want to see to budge anymore so I thought maybe just tone things up and I thought maybe I could try running for awhile as i am getting bored with the workout videos.

Running is great- it uses your core, legs and arms... the only drawback is that your legs will tone the most and if there is any fat left, it will leave due to the cardio involved. 

If you are going to try running, I would suggest the c25k program. It is a running program that trains you to run a 5k in 9 weeks. It can be found here: www.coolrunning.com.

Keep in mind that you really want to incorporate other workouts though as it will only benefit you as a runner ( especially if you enjoy it and want to broaden your horizons with races)

Claire

momof3570
by on May. 4, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting momof3570:

Quoting mcginnisc:

Running is great- it uses your core, legs and arms... the only drawback is that your legs will tone the most and if there is any fat left, it will leave due to the cardio involved. 

If you are going to try running, I would suggest the c25k program. It is a running program that trains you to run a 5k in 9 weeks. It can be found here: http://www.coolrunning.com/.

Keep in mind that you really want to incorporate other workouts though as it will only benefit you as a runner ( especially if you enjoy it and want to broaden your horizons with races)

Thank you for the wonderful advice. One more question. I will check into that c25k but if I do the running would you suggest that I lift weights and do some ab workouts as well? I love to lift weights so that is a def.

swesolek6
by on May. 4, 2012 at 4:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Creeoy, but this exactly, except I'm going for skinny lol.thats crazy we have our numbers the same

Quoting Shawna510:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mcginnisc
by Claire on May. 4, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Quoting momof3570:

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting momof3570:

Quoting mcginnisc:

If you are going to try running, I would suggest the c25k program. It is a running program that trains you to run a 5k in 9 weeks. It can be found here: http://www.coolrunning.com/.

Thank you for the wonderful advice. One more question. I will check into that c25k but if I do the running would you suggest that I lift weights and do some ab workouts as well? I love to lift weights so that is a def.

Oh, we are polar opposites! LOL... Being a long distance runner, I loathe weights, but I do them. Yes, keep pulling weights. It will benefit you greatly as a runner. Core work is also essential for a runner as we use our entire bodies to run. Having a strong core makes for a good runner. It improves your stride as well as speed and efficiency. I do it all. I run 3-4x per week ( depends on if I'm training for a race or just for fun) and do dvds that incorporate cardio, core and strength, 

Claire

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)