Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

How much sodium is "okay" to have each day for weight loss? I haven't been keeping track but I know I'm wayyyyyy over most days. 

by on May. 6, 2012 at 3:20 PM
Replies (11-20):
randomosityblog
by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Quoting saltyalley1227:

I'm not sure but I've heard adding lemon to your water helps you not retain water and sort of helps counter the sodium.
What are some typical things you eat that you feel are high in sodium? I'm pretty good at thinking of alternatives if you want.

My seasonings are super high in sodium so I threw them all out. Now I'm just using cayenne pepper. It's a huge adjustment though because I used cajun seasoning on EVERYTHING. :(

As far as foods.. I love pickles.. didn't realize they were so high in sodium and never looked because they were so low calorie. Green olives.. I haven't looked but I assume they are too. I haven't checked to see what the pre-made veggie burgers have.. but even bread has like 170mg per slice! 

Do veggies have sodium? I eat a ton of those.. and now that I'm not seasoning them with salty stuff I think I may be okay?

saltyalley1227
by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:39 AM
Fresh fruits and veggies are low in sodium. Fresh garlic or garlic powder (not garlic salt) are also low sodium. I found this site that has a lots of lower sodium alternatives for foods too. I don't know how to make it clicky I'm on mobile:

http://www.abouthf.org/module2/sodium_alternatives.htm

Also are you using a whole wheat bread? That may have less than a white or enriched wheat bread.

Quoting randomosityblog:

Quoting saltyalley1227:

I'm not sure but I've heard adding lemon to your water helps you not retain water and sort of helps counter the sodium.

What are some typical things you eat that you feel are high in sodium? I'm pretty good at thinking of alternatives if you want.

My seasonings are super high in sodium so I threw them all out. Now I'm just using cayenne pepper. It's a huge adjustment though because I used cajun seasoning on EVERYTHING. :(

As far as foods.. I love pickles.. didn't realize they were so high in sodium and never looked because they were so low calorie. Green olives.. I haven't looked but I assume they are too. I haven't checked to see what the pre-made veggie burgers have.. but even bread has like 170mg per slice! 

Do veggies have sodium? I eat a ton of those.. and now that I'm not seasoning them with salty stuff I think I may be okay?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
randomosityblog
by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Yes, always wheat bread. I had to buy the cheap stuff yesterday so that might be why it's high. I generally buy the expensive/healthy wheat bread. Thanks for that link, I appreciate it!

Quoting saltyalley1227:

Fresh fruits and veggies are low in sodium. Fresh garlic or garlic powder (not garlic salt) are also low sodium. I found this site that has a lots of lower sodium alternatives for foods too. I don't know how to make it clicky I'm on mobile:

http://www.abouthf.org/module2/sodium_alternatives.htm

Also are you using a whole wheat bread? That may have less than a white or enriched wheat bread.

Quoting randomosityblog:

Quoting saltyalley1227:

joeykttn
by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Yea, it's crazy how much you take in if you don't be careful!

I eat almost everything home cooked. This helps a ton. No deli meat, no ham at all, no pre-seasoned meats, no seasoning packets (taco, dressings, etc), very limited salad dressing, nothing from a can unless I'm desperate. I use sodium free chicken bullion cubes in my soups. If I has to use canned goods (like tomatoes for soup, pasta, etc), I use salt free, or fresh. I found a whole line of seasonings that are salt free (Called Perfect Pinch, and comes in lots of flavors. My fav is a basic garlic/herb blend). If I want chips or nuts, I choose lightly salted, and eat a small portion. I avoid cheese for now, 98% of the time, unless its in a meal like lasagna, and then I just limit my portion, and watch what i do the rest of the day. Mostly I eat lots of veggies, fruits, spincach, lean meats, whole grains, oatmeal, and as little processed as I can, with a few treats scattered through the week.

Yesterday, I had a multi-grain bagel from Dunkin Donguts. 500mg by itself, not even counting the cream cheese which I chose to not have :(.....and I miss pizza...lol It's all about balance I guess.

Quoting randomosityblog:

Quoting joeykttn:

I've been aiming for less then 1000mg. I've linked this as a serious factor in my heart palpitations (if I overdue sodium, which for me is 2000mg+, I get them). It's hard, but it's gotten easier & I'd say 5 out of 7 days, I'm under 1500, if not lower

What do you eat a lot of, to be able to keep it so low? I'm just like OMG everything has sodium. :(

Jenn

randomosityblog
by on May. 7, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Thanks!!

We are vegetarians so no meat, chicken cubes, etc. I replaced my garlic salt with garlic powdr and it still tastes great, luckily. :) 

With salad dressing, I LOVE ranch.. I use the bottled kind and just dip my fork in it so I use about a teaspoon per salad. I need to check the sodium count to see if that's okay.. I don't like any other dressings so I'll have to figure something out there if it's really high.

I didn't even know salt-free pasta sauces existed. I usually make my own but sometimes I will used the kind in the jar. We eat tons of fruits and veggies. I need to check the sodium content in tofu.. ugh.

I. Miss. Pizza. too. lol :(

Quoting joeykttn:

Yea, it's crazy how much you take in if you don't be careful!

I eat almost everything home cooked. This helps a ton. No deli meat, no ham at all, no pre-seasoned meats, no seasoning packets (taco, dressings, etc), very limited salad dressing, nothing from a can unless I'm desperate. I use sodium free chicken bullion cubes in my soups. If I has to use canned goods (like tomatoes for soup, pasta, etc), I use salt free, or fresh. I found a whole line of seasonings that are salt free (Called Perfect Pinch, and comes in lots of flavors. My fav is a basic garlic/herb blend). If I want chips or nuts, I choose lightly salted, and eat a small portion. I avoid cheese for now, 98% of the time, unless its in a meal like lasagna, and then I just limit my portion, and watch what i do the rest of the day. Mostly I eat lots of veggies, fruits, spincach, lean meats, whole grains, oatmeal, and as little processed as I can, with a few treats scattered through the week.

Yesterday, I had a multi-grain bagel from Dunkin Donguts. 500mg by itself, not even counting the cream cheese which I chose to not have :(.....and I miss pizza...lol It's all about balance I guess.

joeykttn
by on May. 7, 2012 at 11:58 AM

depending on the brand, ranch has 220-350ish mg per 2 Tbls serving, so if ou're only using a tsp, you should be fine. I have no idea about tofu, sorry!

I haven't found a salt free pasta sauce, only canned tomatoes. I use regular jars of sauce for everyone else in the house, and fresh tomatos usually for me. If i need canned tomatos for soup, I try to get salt free.

Mostly, I've found the more I avoid processed anything, the easier it is to stay on the low side of my comfort range

Jenn

mes_deux_amours
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2012 at 11:59 AM
Yeah this.

Quoting nlonnon:

I honestly don't track it because I know I am generally over. However if I feel bloated I will keep closer tabs on it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
etsmom
by on May. 7, 2012 at 12:01 PM

lemon juice, rice vinegar, lots of sodium free seasonings. They all help. Foods like store bought salad dressings are killer in the sodium department, especially italian dressing. Canned soups, canned beans, well most things that are savory in a can have higher amounts of salt.  I switched over to using celtic sea salt and although there isn't any difference in the amount of salt, I found that the extra minerals in the sea salt helped me reduce the frequency of salty cravings. I don't know if it is psychological or if I am minerally deficiant, but I will take it.

Quoting saltyalley1227:

Speak Softly and Sweetly; Later You May Have To Eat Your Own Words
rockinmomto2
by on May. 7, 2012 at 12:02 PM

I try to keep mine at 1500 or under. Anything thats prepackaged has tons of sodium. Most of what I make is homemade from fresh ingredients and thus has very low sodium.

haydsmom2007
by on May. 7, 2012 at 12:08 PM

ughhh I am horrible about sodium. Ideally i would like to be under 2000 mg of sodium a day, but that pretty much NEVER happens.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN