Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have 11 weeks!!!!

Posted by on May. 6, 2012 at 4:35 PM
  • 12 Replies

Until I leave for Las Vegas for a work convention.  I weigh 245 right now, I would like to weigh 215 by the time I leave.  Since I have 11 weeks until then, I think it can be done.  Any ideas on how I can do this in a healthy way? 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers
by on May. 6, 2012 at 4:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 6, 2012 at 4:39 PM

First of all, losing 45 pounds in 11 weeks isn't very realistic...that's an average loss of 4+ pounds each week...too much to lose so quickly!  I would make a more realistic goal of maybe 25-30 pounds which is a 1.5-2.5 pound loss each week which is still high but doable.  Make sure your diet is filled with fruits, veggies, lean protein, whole grains, and very little processed food!  Drink half your body weight in ounces of water each day.  Do you know your BMR?  We can help with that if you give us your height, weight, age, and # of days you workout each week.  Doing this slowly and steadily will give you lasting results.  

HelloKitty86
by Member on May. 6, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Quoting darbyakeep45:

First of all, losing 45 pounds in 11 weeks isn't very realistic...that's an average loss of 4+ pounds each week...too much to lose so quickly!  I would make a more realistic goal of maybe 25-30 pounds which is a 1.5-2.5 pound loss each week which is still high but doable.  Make sure your diet is filled with fruits, veggies, lean protein, whole grains, and very little processed food!  Drink half your body weight in ounces of water each day.  Do you know your BMR?  We can help with that if you give us your height, weight, age, and # of days you workout each week.  Doing this slowly and steadily will give you lasting results.  

Ok, I am 5' 3"  245lbs 26 years old and I work out 5 days a week for at least an hour a day.

Stefanie83
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2012 at 4:46 PM
30 lbs is a lot for just 11 weeks mama. I'd try for 10 and be thrilled with 20! I went to Vegas for a work conference last year. I started at229 lbs in feb2011 and was about 222 when we went in April. :). Our conference was in Florida this year and I was 159. Good luck to you!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HelloKitty86
by Member on May. 6, 2012 at 4:49 PM

It's roughly 10 pounds a month, I didn't think that was too high.  I had it at losing 45lbs, but I was informed that was unrealistic, so I'm going for 30 :)

Quoting Stefanie83:

30 lbs is a lot for just 11 weeks mama. I'd try for 10 and be thrilled with 20! I went to Vegas for a work conference last year. I started at229 lbs in feb2011 and was about 222 when we went in April. :). Our conference was in Florida this year and I was 159. Good luck to you!

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Stefanie83
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2012 at 4:51 PM
1 mom liked this
It's definitely possible if you exercise a lot. Good luck :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mcginnisc
by Claire on May. 6, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Quoting HelloKitty86:

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Ok, I am 5' 3"  245lbs 26 years old and I work out 5 days a week for at least an hour a day.

Hi! I'm Claire! I will do your BMR for you! 

BMR: 1891 ( this is the least amount of calories per day you should consume)

Maintenance while working out 3-5 days per week: 1891*1.55=2931

To lose 1 lb per week: 2931-500=2431

Your ideal calorie range is 1891-2431 calories per day to lose 1 lb per week. 

I would join a free site such as: www.myfitnesspal.com, www.sparkpeople.com, www.livestrong.com

It will help you immensely to track using a website as it does it all for you. 

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

HelloKitty86
by Member on May. 6, 2012 at 5:02 PM

I would like to lose about 2-3 pounds a week, what should I do?

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting HelloKitty86:

Quoting darbyakeep45:

I would join a free site such as: www.myfitnesspal.com, www.sparkpeople.com, www.livestrong.com

mcginnisc
by Claire on May. 6, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Quoting HelloKitty86:

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting HelloKitty86:

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Honey, unless you are planning on working out 3-4 hours per day, that is not going to happen. A healthy weight loss is about being realistic and only losing 1-2 lbs per week. 

Now, in the beginning it is entirely possible for you to drop 2-3 lbs per week as most of it will be water weight. After a couple of weeks, it will slow down to 1/2-1 lbs per week. 

Here is how the numbers would have to look for you to lose that much in a week: 

1891*1.9 ( this is an athelete number, so this is at leat 3 hours per day 6 days per week): 3592

To lose 3 lbs in a week: 3592-1500=2092 ( still above your BMR)

Don't ever eat under your BMR as this will put you into starvation mode... you could safely subtract another 500 from the top numbers I gave you: 

2931-1000=1931 ( still above your BMR, ensuring a 2 lb loss)...3 lbs is not going to happen unless you seriously ramp up the exercise to a few hours per day. 

Claire

HelloKitty86
by Member on May. 6, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting HelloKitty86:

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting HelloKitty86:

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Honey, unless you are planning on working out 3-4 hours per day, that is not going to happen. A healthy weight loss is about being realistic and only losing 1-2 lbs per week. 

Now, in the beginning it is entirely possible for you to drop 2-3 lbs per week as most of it will be water weight. After a couple of weeks, it will slow down to 1/2-1 lbs per week. 

1891*1.9 ( this is an athelete number, so this is at leat 3 hours per day 6 days per week): 3592

Don't ever eat under your BMR as this will put you into starvation mode... you could safely subtract another 500 from the top numbers I gave you: 

2931-1000=1931 ( still above your BMR, ensuring a 2 lb loss)...3 lbs is not going to happen unless you seriously ramp up the exercise to a few hours per day. 

Ok.  That all makes sense :)  What about inches? Lets say I wanted to go from an 18 to a 14, is that more realistic than weight? Do you lose more inches than pounds? Sorry, this is all kinda new to me.

mcginnisc
by Claire on May. 6, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Quoting HelloKitty86:

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting HelloKitty86:

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting HelloKitty86:

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Ok.  That all makes sense :)  What about inches? Lets say I wanted to go from an 18 to a 14, is that more realistic than weight? Do you lose more inches than pounds? Sorry, this is all kinda new to me.

It just depends on the body..I lost about evenly on pounds and inches..some of the ladies in here have lost tons of inches and little weight. 

Setting small mini goals- say, a 5 lb monthly loss for instance is a very realistic goal for most women in here... losing 1 pants size in 1-2 months is a reasonable expectation for some people as well. 

I think by setting smaller goals such as inches is a great motivator.As long as it is realistic for your body, then go for it! 

A lot of the ladies in here have mini goals with rewards at each one- One of the ladies in here just got a puppy from her DH for hitting a goal, some ladies have bets going with their husbands, others get pedicures after a 10 lb loss. 

Set small goals and have small rewards after you hit it and you will so accomplished! :-) 

Claire

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)