Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Do You Prefer Style or Function?

Posted by on May. 8, 2012 at 1:09 PM
  • 19 Replies

Sammi Sweetheart's 'Sexy' Fitness Line Sounds Too Hot for the Gym

Posted by Maressa Brown

sammi sweetheart mtv jersey SHoreWhile working on my fitness, the only interpretation I have of "looking hot" involves pouring sweat, having a complete case of "red face," and needing to put my window A/C unit on the "high" setting. Looking like a Swimsuit Illustrated cover model is pretty much my last priority -- incinerating calories and boosting metabolism is. I would bet pretty much most women feel similarly. But not the gals down on the Jersey Shore -- bless their fake-baked hearts. They want to look "sexy" while working out. Or at least Sammi Giancola aka Sammi Sweetheart does. She's coming out with her very own line of workout clothes called Sexy Sweetheart.

She describes the line as including the basics: "Sports bras, yoga pants, and jackets." Sounds promising, but at the same time ... the name of the brand should give any woman who is serious about fitness pause.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not refusing to acknowledge the built-in vanity that comes with exercising. It reminds me of what Jillian Michaels says while making me do this incredibly difficult "crab" move in one of her Body Revolution workouts. She says something along the lines of, "Sure, I want to see you live to 100, see your granddaughter graduate college, but I also want you to feel comfortable having sex with the lights on!" Hell yeah. Of course we work out in order to look sexy. But while working out? While we're actually sweating our tuchuses off at the gym, taking a spinning class, holding downward dog? Hell no.

All we really care about is being comfortable! I don't need rhinestones and flowers and hearts on my sports bra, a brand name plastered onto material clinging to (and drawing attention to) my behind, or a low-cut workout bra. Most of us just want the garments we throw on to work out to fit well.

Sure, it doesn't hurt to try to look "cute." No one wants to look like a total slob, especially if you're exercising in public. Plus, I realize some people actually go to the gym to focus on things other than their workouts (like the cute guy at the juice bar or the ripped Pilates instructor?). But ultimately, what we want in workout wear is form over function. Hopefully, Sammi's applied that concept to her new line. Will be interesting to see how it turns out!

Do you try to look sexy while working out or is that the last thing on your mind?

by on May. 8, 2012 at 1:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Haha...well, there is NO way at this point that I look "sexy" in anything...or doing anything-it will be AWHILE before that happens for me! 

I WILL say though- that one thing I love about belly dance is that the clothes you get to wear are pretty awesome and even a big girl can look cool ;)

I have no problem with rhinestones - I like sparkly things ;)

mcginnisc
by Claire on May. 8, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Running and rhinestones don't go well together.. LOL 

I am in it to be fit- not look good while doing it. 

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

MamaKarrot
by on May. 8, 2012 at 1:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I wear my oldest snarkiest clothes to the gym and leave soaked in sweat and tears.  I am NOT there to look sexy, I'm there to get my butt moving and get it done, lol.

cowboysgirl3227
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Sexy is the last thing on my mind at this point LOL especially while working out.  I am doing this to make myself feel better physically and mentally.  For me sexy comes from being fit and feeling good, I don't need to sparkle to be sexy ;)

Hunnybadgerkins
by on May. 8, 2012 at 2:33 PM
1 mom liked this

i need both the better i look, the better i feel, the better i preform

ZakTuffMavsMom
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2012 at 2:39 PM

While I would like to think I am looking sexy while I am running on the treadmill grunting and heaving, I know I'm not even close to cute. As long as the style part of the clothes don't get in the way of the function part, I say go for it, but I haven't found anything that worked like that for me.

Stefanie83
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2012 at 3:24 PM

I try to look decent but mostly i care about being comfortable

MommyJDTJ
by on May. 8, 2012 at 4:15 PM
I agree. I did this too when I could afford a gym.

Quoting MamaKarrot:

I wear my oldest snarkiest clothes to the gym and leave soaked in sweat and tears.  I am NOT there to look sexy, I'm there to get my butt moving and get it done, lol.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mes_deux_amours
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2012 at 4:20 PM
Lmao! Uh no
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michellej27
by on May. 8, 2012 at 4:23 PM

This! I think when you feel good and look good, it will make you work harder and be more confident too! 

Quoting Hunnybadgerkins:

i need both the better i look, the better i feel, the better i preform

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)