Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

I dunno why but I am so confused about bmr-counting calories!

Posted by on May. 8, 2012 at 6:43 PM
  • 25 Replies

Ive been working out for almost a month 4-5 days a week and have seen ZERO results...

okay so I went to the dr today and I guess I am 5'3" not 5'2...lol

I am 28 and I am working out 4-5 days a week doing mainly the elliptical for now anywhere between 45-60 min.

I am using a bodymedia fit and know exactly how many calories I am burning a day. This week I started logging EVERY single thing I eat because apparently I might be eating a little too much someday and not enough the other days??

I weigh 200lbs. My average total calorie burn a day is 2500 give or take a few hundred calories (I took a weeks worth of how many calories I am burning each day and then divided it by 7 and got 2500 some days it's a little more and some days (the weekends) it's a little less.)

So if I'm burning that many cals a day, how many calories should I be consuming? I have my MFP set to 1900 calories but I don't know if that is too much or not enough?? Yesterday I realized I came in about 200 cals under that...so I dunno if maybe I am just not eating enough to see weight loss?

I am so confused and frustrated because I am working my butt off and seeing no changes...please help!

by on May. 8, 2012 at 6:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
swesolek6
by on May. 8, 2012 at 6:44 PM
bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ashmom614
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2012 at 6:50 PM

thanks for the bump :)

Quoting swesolek6:

bump!

charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Have you had it figured out by someone here?

I know I was stuck for almost a month at 224.5-until today WOO- but I raised my calories by 1-200 a day the last week or so -just to see if it would work and it seems maybe that was the issue...we'll see how next week looks.

I know it can be SUPER frustrating to work out and eat what you think is right and see nothing happen for weeks.  Hang in there and maybe try to never eat under the bmr and see how it goes. I know it's not and exact thing-so you may have to play with it a little (according to something I was reading yesterday or the day before)

mama2gg
by on May. 8, 2012 at 6:55 PM
Your Daily Calorie Requirements Are: 2614 Calories Per Day

2614-500=2114 total cals needed
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ashmom614
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2012 at 6:58 PM

thanks :) It was your post that got me thinking...maybe I am not eating enough. Sometimes you think you can just starve yourself and you'll lose weight. Nope not me lol. Thanks for the help. I hope your weight loss success continues!! :)

Quoting charlotsomtimes:

Have you had it figured out by someone here?

I know I was stuck for almost a month at 224.5-until today WOO- but I raised my calories by 1-200 a day the last week or so -just to see if it would work and it seems maybe that was the issue...we'll wee how next week looks.

I know it can be SUPER frustrating to work out and eat what you think is right and see nothing happen for weeks.  Hang in there and maybe try to never eat under the bmr and see how it goes. I know it's not and exact thing-so you may have to play with it a little (according to something I was reading yesterday or the day before)

darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 8, 2012 at 7:00 PM

You may need to eat more food mama!  Try increasing your calories by 100-200 each day and see where it goes from there:)  Good luck!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 8, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Where did you get that number from?  Her BMR is 1689, which is the least amount she should eat each day.  But, since she's wearing a device that calculates her daily burn, she needs to eat about 500 less than what she's burning to lose 1 pound per week.  Just not sure where you got the 2614 number from?

Quoting mama2gg:

nicole341
by on May. 8, 2012 at 7:08 PM
well I have the same app. Every morning I go walking for an hr and 30mins. My app says my daily calorie intake should be 1,200 because I'm 5'8 and weigh 128 lbs. I burn about 700 calories on my walk. I try and eat back what I burn. But for every lb is 3000 calories. So at the end of the week you should be burning at least that much calories to burn off a lb. Like for me I'd have to run 7miles a day for 5days a week to burn about 3500 calories a week. I hope this helped!! I'd say try walking a few miles a day because I tried working out at the gym and never had real results till I started walking and it helped me slim down from 187lbs after bby. I lost it all in one summer. So give it a try!:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama2gg
by on May. 8, 2012 at 7:10 PM
http://www.muscleandstrength.com/tools/bmr-and-daily-calorie-calculator.html

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Where did you get that number from?  Her BMR is 1689, which is the least amount she should eat each day.  But, since she's wearing a device that calculates her daily burn, she needs to eat about 500 less than what she's burning to lose 1 pound per week.  Just not sure where you got the 2614 number from?

Quoting mama2gg:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ashmom614
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2012 at 7:15 PM

okay, so eat 500 less in calories than what I am burning?

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Quoting mama2gg:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN