Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Im nervous to take a class at the gym......

Posted by on May. 9, 2012 at 9:08 AM
  • 9 Replies

So here on base they offer all kinds of free classes at the gym from yoga to step to spin you name it. Ive been wanting to try Zumba and I have a friend that wants me to go with her BUT Im scared to. Ive never done Zumba before and Im soooo overweight and out of shape. Im not sure I can do a whole class w/o dying lol or without looking like a complete moron. I also have a messed up hip that tends to limit what I can do. My friend thinks I should just DO IT but Im just afraid of looking like a dancing water buffalo.

by on May. 9, 2012 at 9:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
sparklebug86
by on May. 9, 2012 at 9:10 AM

no, just do it! Everyone feels the same way you do....trust me!  You will be so glad that you did!

SugarMama99200
by on May. 9, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Im trying to talk mysef into going to the 9am class on friday. ACK! There is also a 5K walk on Sat that Im thinking of doing. Motivation where are you?!?!?!

charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2012 at 9:24 AM

I was terrified the first time I went- and 2 months later-I'm going 3-4 times a week.  The first one will be tough- don't  work *too hard-  keep it at a level that works for you.  I still don't do all the jumping and whatnot- but I don't feel like I am totally dying anymore either-  it will take time ;)

Also- learning the moves will take a few classes.  Just try to keep moving.  If your class is anything like the ones I go to- the majority of people look confused at least part of the time ;)

doulala
by Member on May. 9, 2012 at 10:15 AM
Ironic, isn't it? That our weight KEEPS us from exercising? I feel that way~ like I need to lose weight before I can go. !!! I would say go try a low-impact class at an off-peak time so it's not too crowded and promise yourself to stay for 10 minutes. Stay in the back maybe. If you enjoyed it go again, maybe longer, or try a different class. I am not there yet myself, but also don't have a free gym so I don't "have to worry." I just don't go. :-(
cherinmichael
by on May. 9, 2012 at 10:18 AM
Do it! I did zumba for the first time yesterday and it was a lot of fun. Nobody will be looking at you! You won't regret it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaKarrot
by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Everyone is nervous.  They all think everyone is looking at them and no one is, hehe.  And honestly, when I see new people at the gym trying hard I wish I could go over there and pat them on the back and tell them they can do it and no one is judging them.  But, it's inappropriate.  I still wish I could, lol.  So I can tell you at least.  

For your first time, stay in the back. That way you don't feel so self-consious and you can get a feel for the routine of the class.  I have tried scary scary classes (like, Bikram Yoga, and it wasn't pretty the first time) and I just hover to the back until I'm more comfortable with it. :)

SugarMama99200
by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Thanks so much ladies. You have all really eased me mind some. I may just get the courage to go. I will keep you posted if I end up going ;)

randomosityblog
by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Don't be nervous! I just started them a month ago and I AM ADDICTED. :) I go to one almost every day now. JUST DO IT.

griefstrickin
by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:48 PM
After I have the baby I am going to try Curves for women, they have all their windows covered so nobody can see from outside. No men allowed too ha lol!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)