Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Shakes...?!?!?

Posted by on May. 11, 2012 at 2:00 PM
  • 33 Replies
Anyone know any shake recepies or if you know if I can make somekind of banana shake to subtitute a meal once a day? Any ideas please!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 11, 2012 at 2:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hmcran
by Member on May. 11, 2012 at 2:03 PM
2 moms liked this
Before I did shakeology I would use a cup of almond milk, whey protein, a handful if frozen berries, few scoops of organic yogurt, and a tsp of peanut butter. It was decent but no where near as tasty or healthy as shakeology.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama2gg
by on May. 11, 2012 at 2:35 PM
I use
1 cup frozen no sugar added fruit
.5 plain low fat yogurt
1 cup chocolate almond milk
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by on May. 11, 2012 at 2:37 PM

You should not substitute meals. You should eat meals.... a balance of all three macronutrients, in moderate quantities.

Unless your 'shake' is going to have natural (in its natural state, not refined) protein, fat and complex carbs, it doesn't qualify as a 'meal' even if it has a whole vitamin pill added.

I like Michael Pollan's advice best:

Eat food, not too much; mostly vegetables.

mama2gg
by on May. 11, 2012 at 2:41 PM
I totally disagree shakes made of reap fruit,yogurt and almond milk gives you protein,vits.,pott.,and tons of other good stuff I do smoothies every am , workout 6 days a week and lost 10 lbs last month and 2 lbs this week I follow my BMR eat lean and clean and its TOTALLY healthy a HELL of a lot healthier then a bowl of cereal or a drive thur sandwich

Quoting LindaClement:

You should not substitute meals. You should eat meals.... a balance of all three macronutrients, in moderate quantities.

Unless your 'shake' is going to have natural (in its natural state, not refined) protein, fat and complex carbs, it doesn't qualify as a 'meal' even if it has a whole vitamin pill added.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by on May. 11, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Unless you're making your own almond 'milk' you're eating a LOT of added sugar, refined emulsifiers and salt.

Losing 10 pounds in a month is not an argument in favour of the 'healthfulness' of a shake instead of a meal. It's an argument about losing weight too fast to sustain for any duration.

Yes, real fruit, plain yogurt and almonds are a hell of a lot healthier than a bowl of breakfast candy or a drive-through sandwich. Why are either of those 'not-real foods' in the competition? Eating ice is healthier than eating Fruit Loops. So?

A bowl of oatmeal takes 4 minutes to make in the microwave, less if you soak the oats overnight. You can add raisins or dates or chopped apricots, grated apple, cinnamon and molasses or plain milk, and still have a much healthier breakfast than anything with commercially-refined almond 'milk' added. You can turn it on before walking into the shower, and have breakfast ready by the time you walk out.

A homemade whole grain carrot muffin or 2 with an ounce of cheese, half a grapefruit and a banana is a meal. 

Leftovers from last night's dinner is a meal.

A shake is not a meal. Highly calorie-restrictive diets are not healthy, and losing weight quickly is rarely about losing fat, but muscle and water and bone, which is why it is not possible to get to 800 pounds without dieting first.

Quoting mama2gg:

I totally disagree shakes made of reap fruit,yogurt and almond milk gives you protein,vits.,pott.,and tons of other good stuff I do smoothies every am , workout 6 days a week and lost 10 lbs last month and 2 lbs this week I follow my BMR eat lean and clean and its TOTALLY healthy a HELL of a lot healthier then a bowl of cereal or a drive thur sandwich

Quoting LindaClement:

sparklebug86
by on May. 11, 2012 at 2:52 PM

You can use any vanilla flavored whey or soy protein and add that to coconut or soymilk (or water) and add in a banana or banana milk flavoring (if you can find it) The great thing about this basic recipe is you can make a different shake everyday by changing to berries, adding some chocolate milk powder or peanut butter etc etc

yo_ho
by on May. 11, 2012 at 2:54 PM
I do 8 oz almond milk, 4 oz Greek yogurt, frozen banana, I tbsp peanut butter and bunch of spinach crammed on top.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sparklebug86
by on May. 11, 2012 at 2:57 PM

yea Im not agreeing with this either. While a shake made from just whey and milk is not nutrious in itself, adding fruits and vegetables does make it a meal and replacing one meal a day with a nutrious shake does help you lose weight AND add fruits to your daily count. Its also alot easier than making a full meal and reheating a meal from the night before unless its a well balanced meal, does not make that meal any better than a fruit filled protein shake where she would get vitamins, calcium and protein. In fact, most foods we eat contain more sugar than we are aware (including your dinners) so if sugar is a concern for her, she can make the shake with water or skim milk.

Quoting LindaClement:

Unless you're making your own almond 'milk' you're eating a LOT of added sugar, refined emulsifiers and salt.

Losing 10 pounds in a month is not an argument in favour of the 'healthfulness' of a shake instead of a meal. It's an argument about losing weight too fast to sustain for any duration.

Yes, real fruit, plain yogurt and almonds are a hell of a lot healthier than a bowl of breakfast candy or a drive-through sandwich. Why are either of those 'not-real foods' in the competition? Eating ice is healthier than eating Fruit Loops. So?

A bowl of oatmeal takes 4 minutes to make in the microwave, less if you soak the oats overnight. You can add raisins or dates or chopped apricots, grated apple, cinnamon and molasses or plain milk, and still have a much healthier breakfast than anything with commercially-refined almond 'milk' added. You can turn it on before walking into the shower, and have breakfast ready by the time you walk out.

A homemade whole grain carrot muffin or 2 with an ounce of cheese, half a grapefruit and a banana is a meal. 

Leftovers from last night's dinner is a meal.

A shake is not a meal. Highly calorie-restrictive diets are not healthy, and losing weight quickly is rarely about losing fat, but muscle and water and bone, which is why it is not possible to get to 800 pounds without dieting first.

Quoting mama2gg:

Quoting LindaClement:

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers
sparklebug86
by on May. 11, 2012 at 2:58 PM

you mix spinach into that shake? How does that taste? Between the greek yogurt and the spinach im grossed out but, im also intrigued! I just cant do greek yogurt it, the taste skeeves me out but, I would love to be able to get more veggies into my shakes!

Quoting yo_ho:

I do 8 oz almond milk, 4 oz Greek yogurt, frozen banana, I tbsp peanut butter and bunch of spinach crammed on top.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers
militarygirl83
by on May. 11, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Im also a Shakeology drinker.  Before that I would make shakes with water, protein powder, fruits and veggies and flax seed.  They were pretty good and somewhat filling.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)