Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Not losing weight

Posted by on May. 15, 2012 at 1:13 PM
  • 7 Replies

OK I don't normally post my business on FB, CM or wherever, nor do I ask for a lot of help. It has to be bad for me to ask for help.

I was recently diagnosed with PCOS, a VERY mild case (IE I'm starting to have irregular periods, and I have cysts on my ovaries that don't cause me any pain, and I'm having a VERY hard time losing weight). I did Weight Watchers for a LONG time, and lost gained lost gained ect. But for now I'm doing MFP, which I love! I track everything DAILY, and I'm 5 days out of the week under my calories, sometimes (maybe on the weekends) I'm over a little, but the average for the week is under. I'm either staying the same, or gaining. I have my MFP set to 1350 calories a day (I'm 5'4" 176 lbs) (that's what MFP gave me as a calorie goal).

I'm currently "grounded" from my Dr to only do very low impact workouts (I tore my ACL years ago and I never had it looked at, because we didn't have ins at the time) I went and had an MRI done a month ago and it turns out my body absorbed my ACL, so while awaiting surgery I'm basically allowed to walk, swim, bike and a few other workouts (no running, no zumba ect). So I'm not super limited since the things I'm allowed to do are still good workouts (IMO). I'd love to run though (I like to run, but I'm also not trying to mess anything else up, because if I do I don't know if ins would still pay for my surgery if I did something I wasn't supposed to do).

I'm seriously wanting to say screw it and just stop counting calories ect, because I feel like I'm not going anywhere. Could I have seriously hit a plateau after a year of WW and counting calories? I'm just so frustrated. So if you guys have some words of wisdom I'd be forever thankful!

Thanks for reading :)

Julie

Wife to Kevin, mom to 2 wonderful boys, SAHM

by on May. 15, 2012 at 1:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
JeremysMom
by on May. 15, 2012 at 1:19 PM

I am not sure what MFP is but 1350 calories a day and being under seems a little low to me, especially on the days you work out. You may not be getting enough calories, but then I could be wrong. Have you measured yourself? I have been working out for a month and only lost one pound but I have lost several inches. Muscle is more denser than fat. Also, I would add some weights to your work out if you can. Building muscle helps burn fat faster.

charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2012 at 1:23 PM

I've heard MFP sets the calories too low for people-  and you have to eat back the work out calories.  I don't use it for my tracking personally- I do it myself.

mcginnisc
by Claire on May. 15, 2012 at 1:29 PM

If you give me your age, I will do your BMR for you and check it against MFP. They have a default of 1200 for most people and it seems to be too low for most people. Now, the way MFP is set up is for you to eat all of those exercise calories back and hit 0 in your budget of calories. This sets you up to have a 500 calorie daily deficit and a 1 lb weekly loss. 

Now, when I do your BMR, I will add exercise into it already, so I need to know how many days per week you plan on doing your light exercise. 

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

mom_of2_n_twins
by on May. 15, 2012 at 1:31 PM

with MFP you have to have a remaining balance of "0" calories at the end of the day with or without exercise....so if you are eating 1350 and you burn 500 during exercise and you don't eat back the 500 your body is only absorbing 850 calories....this means your body is in starvation mode. Anything under 1200 isn't good for any person regardless of who they are b/c your body can't function properly and that includes body organs and blood flow. So for 1350 and you burn 500 you need to eat the 1350 plus the 500 giving you a balance of 0 at the end of the day and your "net" calories being equal to 1350....

understand? lol. Its a bit confusing.

musicpisces
by Suzanne on May. 15, 2012 at 1:38 PM

You're eating too few calories.  I'm 5'4" and 178, and my BMR is 1586.  Your BMR is the MINIMUM number of calories you should be eating.  Unless you're 187 years old (in which case, you look AMAZING!  LOL), your BMR is closer to mine.  That doesn't even include calories burned while working out, just calories burned by breathing, your heart beating, etc, not including walking around, digestion, talking, or other normal daily activities.  My first suggestion would be to increase your calories intake.  Eating too few calories will actually slow your metabolism, and it will make your body shift from burning fat to holding onto fat and burning lean tissue, including muscles and organs, which can lead to permanent damage.

Are you strength training at all?  When I damaged my knee in March (I fell during a trail run and messed up my joint), I had to stop running or doing any high impact exercise, and even swimming and biking hurt, and at first I could barely walk.  It's slowed my weight loss, but now that I am in the gym and doing more weight training, my body composition has really changed.  I've lost about 3 lbs since my injury (mind you I didn't really work out for a good 3 weeks after the injury), but I've also lost at least 1 pant size and I've gained lots of muscle definition.  It will help my running when I'm able to get back to it.  I'm able to do some cardio now, including the bike (I haven't tried swimming again yet).

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

babygirl5151999
by on May. 15, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Thanks everyone!!! I eat back my workout calories, I use fitbit to calculate my calories burned during a workout.

I'm 34 (I'll be 35 in less than a month EEEKK LOL). I try to workout 4-5x a week, that's average, some weeks it may only be 3-4 depending on how my knee feels and what the day has in store.

I'm also doing a modified 30 day shred (meaning when she jogs or does butt kicks I walk, when she does squats and weights at the same time, I only do the weights, my PT and my Ortho know I'm doing this and said it's fine, obviously I know I won't get the same results as doing it the way Jillian does, but for me I'm doing what I can do, I figure I'm moving not sitting on the couch LOL)

babygirl5151999
by on May. 15, 2012 at 1:48 PM

I always net at least 1200 calories a day, so I don't know if I'm not eating too much or too little LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN