Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

**SQUEAL!!!**-update

Posted by on May. 17, 2012 at 7:04 AM
  • 15 Replies
1 mom liked this

If ya'll remember about me posting wanting to start C25K...well I did.

I did it one day and I tested my endurance. I could only do 2.56 minutes before I had to stop.

I had a goal to run 5 minutes straight by the end of May.

Second day, I did it for a few minutes and decided to test myself, again. 7.44 minutes :-). Not only did I reach my monthly goal, I SURPASSED IT!

That same day I also rode my bike for 9.81 miles.

WELL!

This morning I got up extra early (not by choice, keep in mind-lol) and decided to go for a run since I'm in school from 1025am-515pm, I don't have much time with getting DS ready for school, getting him there, etc...

I felt like Forest Gump!!

I DOUBLED my run time this morning :-)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18.41.6 minutes of straight running!

Now, let me tell you the reason why this is a triumph.

I have exercised enduced asthma. I'm trying to control it through breathing. I alway was able to run for a good hour on a treadmil but on the ground, no matter how in shape I was, I could NEVER run ground.

THIS is why it's such a triumph for me!!!

UPDATE:

Not only did I run this morning, I just finished riding my son to school on my bike. To and from is 4.81 miles with a VERY steep hill that I didn't stop either way of!!!!

My new goal is for me to run 30 minutes.

And for those who say they have the same issue. The only thing I can think of is Cadence.....sing to high beat music, make it pump you up. Singing under my breath helps me control my breathing. Think of why the military does cadence while they run.....that's why. It helps them breathe.

For those wanting to know what I've done....I just started the C25K one day, decided to push myself to see how far I could go and I'm certainly NOT running like someone is about to get me. I do a light jog at my "comfort pace". Find your comfort pace. It may seem slow to you, but who cares, you're doing it and no one else. Once you get the control on ground, and can do it for a long period of time, work on your time and increase your pace.

That's all I can think of.

by on May. 17, 2012 at 7:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BelindaDuvessa
by on May. 17, 2012 at 7:11 AM

way to go

That is a huge NSV as far as I'm concerned!  I'm doing a walk/job 5k.   Congratulations on that, though.  That's huge, considering you're asthmatic.

BeAmour
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2012 at 7:21 AM
NSV??

I run a slow pace but I'm not working on running within a certain time, just distance and increasing my distance.

You know what helps? The music I listen to! I "sing" under my breath to good beat music.

Quoting BelindaDuvessa:

way to go

That is a huge NSV as far as I'm concerned!  I'm doing a walk/job 5k.   Congratulations on that, though.  That's huge, considering you're asthmatic.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BelindaDuvessa
by on May. 17, 2012 at 7:22 AM
1 mom liked this

NSV = Non Scale Victory.  It's usually used to describe anything you do, exercise, food, or measurement wise, in your weight loss journey that has nothing to do with the scale.

MFountaine
by on May. 17, 2012 at 7:25 AM
You go girl! You will be my inspiration, I have asthma too and have those same problems.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mcginnisc
by Claire on May. 17, 2012 at 7:26 AM

As a runner myself, all I can say is this: WAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

That is awesome!!

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

twnkedee
by Tia on May. 17, 2012 at 7:29 AM

Way to go!!

mama2gg
by on May. 17, 2012 at 7:49 AM
Awesome ! I'm the same I can run on a mill still can't get on the sidewalk without losing breath great job mama
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hunnybadgerkins
by on May. 17, 2012 at 7:57 AM

that is AWESOME :)

ZakTuffMavsMom
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2012 at 8:24 AM

I hate running on the road! I Love running on the treadmill LOL I know exactly how you feel about your accomplishment. Awesome!

BeAmour
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2012 at 8:48 AM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)