Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

New to the group and running question!

Posted by on May. 21, 2012 at 11:49 PM
  • 6 Replies

Hi Everyone!

I am new here.  I just had a baby 5 weeks ago and want to lose weight and get back in shape.  My goal is to train and run a 5K but I am worried about breastfeeding and running. I have heard it can cause problems with breast milk, well working out in general can but I am not finding much information about this.  Does anyone have help or information for me!  Thanks!!!!!

What is your favorite way to get in shape? How did you start right after you had your baby? (I am planning on starting slow with walking)/

by on May. 21, 2012 at 11:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
musicpisces
by Suzanne on May. 22, 2012 at 12:05 AM
Welcome!! Congratulations on your baby and on your decision to breastfeed!!
You can totally run and breastfeed!! Many mamas do it! My first suggestion- a good bra. Check out Moving Comfort. The Juno and the Fiona are super supportive, and the way the straps adjust in the front make it possible to nurse in them!! Bonus!!
Have you looked at the C25K program yet? It stand for Couch to 5K, and it's a great program for those looking to start running.
You also ought to check out the Running Moms group on here. Lots of mamas at all stages of the game.
Do you have good shoes yet? When you're ready, go to a good running store (Fleet Feet is one of the best) and have them measure you, watch your gait, look at your feet and shoes, etc. wear some old sneakers, so they can look at the wear patterns. Good shoes can make or break your runs. A stroller can also help, if you plan to take your little one.
Good luck!!! There are lots of us in here who run, and we're always happy to help! You can do it!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

C-K-Csmom
by on May. 22, 2012 at 12:46 AM
I just finished week 3 day 3 of c25k. So far I haven't noticed any decrease in my milk supply. I am only running 3-4 times a week though. I try to make sure I am eating enough to keep up my milk supply.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 22, 2012 at 6:05 AM

Welcome to the group mama!  Glad you're here:)  I'm a long distance runner and I LOVE it!  I agree with everything Suzanne said...good sports bra, good shoes, and make sure you're eating enough food!  Good luck!

mcginnisc
by Claire on May. 22, 2012 at 7:48 AM

Suz beat me to it! She said everything that I was going to say. 

Welcome to the group! 

I'm also a long distance runner like Suz and Darby, so your best bets are to invest in good sports bras, get fitted for shoes and eat enough. 

Have fun!

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

dancedivamel
by on May. 22, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Wow! You ladies are amazing!!!!! Thanks for the encouragement.  Suzanne I have heard of the C25K and was considering using it.  I like that it starts slow.  That's what I need right now. I would like to run with my LO but I have read that they have to be 6 months to go in a jogging stroller.  Do you have any suggestions on the best way to run with my LO?  I have a regular stroller which will be good for a while but I am hoping he won't yet be 6 months when I am ready for the 5K.  

Hunnybadgerkins
by on May. 22, 2012 at 7:19 PM

lol they all beat me to it!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)