Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

BMR+Activity vs. MFP+Eating Burned Calories

Ok, so this has been really confusing for me.  Some people do the whole BMR + your activity level (exercise included) to determine a range for how many calories you should eat per day.  Others use the MFP suggestion (based on BMR plus non-exercise daily activity) and eat back burned exercise calories. 

I have been doing the MFP + eating burned calories method, mainly because I wear a heart rate monitor, so I actually know for sure what I am burning (rather than relying on some random MFP estimation to tell me).  Anyway, out of curiousity, I had Claire do my BMR for me to see what that would come out to...

Here is what she gave me:

"BMR: 1455,  Maintenance while working out 6 days per week ( I know you workout hard so I will use the 6 day formula for you): 1455*1.725=2509.  To lose 1 lb per week: 2509-500=2009 .  Your ideal calorie range is 1455-2009 calories per day to lose 1 lb per week."

Ok, so follow me now...  MFP tells me to eat 1440 per day (before exercise) to lose 1 lb per week.  Then I eat back burned calories which ends up being 650-900 calories per day in exercise.  Occasionally I go into the 1000s, but not regularly.  These are just averages.  Then I always have at least one day of rest.  So, I estimated my calories for a week, using my typical calories burned.  Here is what I got...  The 1440 represents what MFP tells me to eat, the other number in the parentheses is my burned calories for a typical day.

(1440 rest day) + (1440+650) + (1440+650) + (1440+800) + (1440+800) + (1440+800) + (1440+900) = 14,680 in one week with MFP + eating burned calories

Now, if I stick to Claire's suggested BMR range and eat on the higher end (2000 calories, let's day) every single day, my calorie count would be...

2009 x 7 = 14,063 in one week with BMR+Activity estimation

Now, a 617 calorie difference might sound high, but when you spread it out over a week, that's only a variation of less than 100 calories per day (about 88).  Not a big deal.  They essentially work out to be the same.

So why did I waste my time doing this?  LOL!  Well, I have found that on rest days (1440 days), I am always hungry.  My body is used to eating 2300 or 2400 calories.  So 1440 feels like starvation!  Then on bigger workout days, I am overly full and not wanting to make it all the way to 2400. 

So... I think I am going to switch my method here and lower my calories to 2010 per day, even on big workout days, and STILL eat 2010 calories even on rest days.  It's not about what you eat just in ONE day... it's the big picture.  So as long as my calories are evening out over the week, it should not matter than I eat 2010 on my rest day when I am lowering my other days.  I am really interested to see how this goes.  I am crossing my fingers and hoping it will mean that I am more even with what I eat so my body gets used to ONE calorie intake level rather than jumping back and forth all the time...

We'll see how it goes! :)

Michelle, mom to Henry, Lucy and Charlie

by on May. 24, 2012 at 4:40 PM
Replies (11-15):
Threes.Company
by on May. 24, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Quoting km1970:

Quoting Threes.Company:

Quoting km1970:

I have found for me if I stay in the 1500-1800 range every day...I am losing. So far it's working and got me off of a plateau...on workout days I tend to eat closer to 1800 and on rest days closer to the 1500...average weekly is about 1700.

I have mine manually set to 1520..I log my exercise calories from my hrm..but I still stay in the range. I don't even worry about net.

I would like to lose another 5 lbs still, and it's been slow-going now that I am getting so close.  I am hoping that making this shift will help me push through this little plateau and get to where I want to be!  I am glad to hear it's been successful for you!  I hope I can get those final pounds gone so I can switch to maintenance!

I was stuck in the mid 150's...after having my bmr calculated I just started at my bmr and went up 100 calories until I found a range that worked. I was at 1200-1300 a day. Since mid March I have gone from 155-144...

That's excellent!!  Congrats!!  I am at 142 right now, and I'd love to be between 135-138.  I really hope this works...  and I am definitely looking forward to not hating rest days!!  I hate that feeling of hunger.

Stefanie83
by Ruby Member on May. 24, 2012 at 8:23 PM
Lol. I was thinking the same thing.

Quoting MamaKarrot:

Quoting Stefanie83:

Sounds good to me too. I mostly care about my *weekly* deficit instead of my daily deficit.  and I net a lot more calories on rest days than on exercise days but i do eat a little more on exercise days usually.  lol.  ;)

This whole post screams Stefanie to me.  This is something you'd sit and do for fun, lol.  I say that endearingly.  I love how nerdy you are.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Threes.Company
by on May. 24, 2012 at 8:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, I AM a math teacher...  so I just could not resist sitting down to figure it out! :)  I am definitely a dork like that!  Will you be my dorky friend, Stefanie??  ;)

Quoting Stefanie83:

Quoting MamaKarrot:

Quoting Stefanie83:

Sounds good to me too. I mostly care about my *weekly* deficit instead of my daily deficit.  and I net a lot more calories on rest days than on exercise days but i do eat a little more on exercise days usually.  lol.  ;)

This whole post screams Stefanie to me.  This is something you'd sit and do for fun, lol.  I say that endearingly.  I love how nerdy you are.

Stefanie83
by Ruby Member on May. 24, 2012 at 9:16 PM
Lol of course!!! I know I've posted before my average calories for months and my deficit etc etc. fun stuff!!! ;)

Quoting Threes.Company:

Well, I AM a math teacher...  so I just could not resist sitting down to figure it out! :)  I am definitely a dork like that!  Will you be my dorky friend, Stefanie??  ;)

Quoting Stefanie83:

Quoting MamaKarrot:

Quoting Stefanie83:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 25, 2012 at 7:02 AM

Yep, I completely agree with you...thanks for explaining it that way...I'm eating in my BMR range...higher end as well:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)