Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

How to get rid of the fat girl brain??

Posted by on May. 29, 2012 at 9:01 AM
  • 21 Replies
Ok ladies! I need your help.
As many of you know I am down 70lbs, lower than before I got pregnant with my third baby. I tried on a medium yoga pant and dress last week and they fit! I feel healthy and amazing..but yet I still have fat girl mentality?!
Yes I still have more I want and need to lose, I am 5ft 3in and 165lbs. Down from 235. Im Proud of myself and have new goals set for myself as well. Everyone I know has said I look normal..as in I do not look like a fat gal, I look like a normal woman walking around. My Mil saw me yeaserday and said I look amazing, and that I looked like I always have when I wasnt heavy.
So tell me ladies? How do I get rid of this fat girl brain?? How do I stop beating myself up and start seeing what they see??
What got you over that hump?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 29, 2012 at 9:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jace1028
by Bronze Member on May. 29, 2012 at 9:13 AM
I am still dodging cameras. But one caught me and I saw the pic and thought, "Ooooh wow..."

I'll probably always see myself as big, even when I reach goal. Its been this way for so long...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hunnybadgerkins
by on May. 29, 2012 at 9:16 AM

I need a lobotomy. Its not leaving me :(

anetrnlov
by on May. 29, 2012 at 9:23 AM

It's hard and for some it never goes away.  It is something you are going to have to work at everyday with every situation and constantly remind yourself of how far you've come.

Good luck!

km1970
by on May. 29, 2012 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this

I understand what you are saying. I made a post awhile back that I am still buying large shirts or looking at larger pants....I hated trying on clothes, nothing fit right, and I hated seeing the size I was at. However, I am down 4 pant sizes and I am in a small/medium shirt, yet I still default to larger sizes....the other night dh and I went shopping. I was looking at capris, I automatically grabbed a 12 and dh said, those are way too big for you. I took an 8...still do not have a heart to try things on in the store. Brought them home thinking, I won't fit into them, they are almost too loose, I needed a 6. DH said, I need to take an afternoon and go out and try things on. I know I need to, but it's hard to get past that fat girl feeling.

BluDog
by on May. 29, 2012 at 10:36 AM
Quoting km1970:

I understand what you are saying. I made a post awhile back that I am still buying large shirts or looking at larger pants....I hated trying on clothes, nothing fit right, and I hated seeing the size I was at. However, I am down 4 pant sizes and I am in a small/medium shirt, yet I still default to larger sizes....the other night dh and I went shopping. I was looking at capris, I automatically grabbed a 12 and dh said, those are way too big for you. I took an 8...still do not have a heart to try things on in the store. Brought them home thinking, I won't fit into them, they are almost too loose, I needed a 6. DH said, I need to take an afternoon and go out and try things on. I know I need to, but it's hard to get past that fat girl feeling.

Honestly, I'm really looking forward to having this problem.
Ngm82
by on May. 29, 2012 at 12:41 PM
Well be glad that u have reached this stage. It is so difficult to lose weight.. With months of hardwork and displine you have achieved something that you really longed for. Many of us here are longing to see that day in our lives. I say you enjoy this moment and enjoy your body.. U may go shopping with a friend/ sister so that she can help you choose size/ styles well.
Good luck.
Threes.Company
by on May. 29, 2012 at 12:46 PM

I am 5'9" and I weigh 140... and I STILL have that mentality!  I haven't quite figured out how to rid myself of that yet...  I was at 165 just a few months ago, and I wore a size 9/10 at that point.  I am down to a 4, so you would think I would feel thin again, but I still feel like the 165-lb person I was in February!  I think it will just take some time for it to click with me... and I think the other part of it is that I am not "done" with my loss yet (5 lbs to go!), so because I am still in weight loss mode, I still feel like that bigger girl.  I think once my goal weight is achieved, I will hopefully accept myself for the smaller person I am and no longer feel like a big girl!!

Congratulations on your loss!  That is so phenomenal!  70 lbs is a lot!!!  You should be so proud of yourself!! :)

Michelle, mom to Henry, Lucy and Charlie

musicpisces
by Suzanne on May. 29, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Congratulations on the 70 lbs!  That's awesome!

I totally struggle with this, too.  It sucks!!

I think when we were that woman for so long, it sticks with us for life.  It definitely affects who we are, and how we interact with others.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

nicole2884
by on May. 29, 2012 at 10:37 PM

when you figure it out let me know because i dont have a answer for that, i still see my fat thighs even tho they are 10 times better

Healthywahm
by on May. 29, 2012 at 11:40 PM

You have to work on getting it down into your subconscious.  The first 30 minutes after you wake up and the last 30 minutes before you fall asleep are the best time to access it.  Look at pictures of your smaller self, say positive affirmations like "I am so happy and grateful now that I am trim and fit".  Visualize yourself shopping for clothes and having them fit, looking at the tag size and being very happy.  It's the emotions that really help it sink down in!  The same thing works for you while you are losing weight too.  :)

I know it sounds weird, but it works!

Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN