Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

quick 5k/running question

Posted by on May. 30, 2012 at 8:14 AM
  • 4 Replies

Are ipods (or earbuds, more specificaly) banned at all running events? I've seen several signup sheets that say you can't use them. I'm just curious if that's a standard thing? 

Jenn

by on May. 30, 2012 at 8:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
mcginnisc
by Claire on May. 30, 2012 at 8:15 AM

It is standard for many races....however, you'll find that even with them banned, people still use them. The reason they ban them is so participants can hear emergency vehicles and announcements from race officials during the race if necessary.... 

My last half marathon bannned them and everyone used them-including me. 

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

joeykttn
by on May. 30, 2012 at 8:25 AM

ok, thanks. I am totally dependant on them right now..lol Not sure if I could run very long without them yet :/

Threes.Company
by on May. 30, 2012 at 8:46 AM

For the most part, yes.  I've never seen one where it is allowed.  This rule applied even at the Avon Walk when I did that.  They do it for safety reasons -- a lot of races are out on roads and while streets are supposed to be closed off and such, they just want to make sure your ears are available so you can listen for vehicles (or cyclists) and such along the way.  They don't want to be liable for people getting harmed, so they can reduce their liability/risk by making that rule.  I am sure insurance rules are involved.  I've seen people do it anyway, but I never have.  My next race is a tri, anyway, and I wouldn't swim with music so I'll do without.

Michelle, mom to Henry, Lucy and Charlie

Threes.Company
by on May. 30, 2012 at 8:47 AM

This is partly why I want to sign up for the July half-marathon instead of the September one I am thinking of.  The July one is a Rock 'n Roll half, and they play live music at several locations along the race to keep you entertained!!

Quoting joeykttn:

ok, thanks. I am totally dependant on them right now..lol Not sure if I could run very long without them yet :/

Michelle, mom to Henry, Lucy and Charlie

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN