Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Just For Fun: Gym Pet Peeves

Posted by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 9:20 AM
  • 24 Replies

8 Really Annoying Things People Do at the Gym

Posted by Kiri Blakeley

Summer is here and that means working on your summertime tan (with the proper SPF, of course). It also means working on that bikini bod. And that means hitting the gym. And that means dealing with some annoying people who do not understand basic gym etiquette! Look, we're all in this thing together. We're all huffing, puffing, and trying like hell to whittle away those last few pounds or quarter of an inch. This is the time for us to band together and support each other. It's not the time to act like a selfish ass. But some people just can't seem to help themselves. Herewith, 8 Really Annoying Things some peeps insist on doing at the gym!

Water fountain tailgater. So you're at the water fountain, either drinking or filling up your empty water bottle, and there's the person behind you cooling their heels and doing it NOT very subtly. Gimme a break here, I cannot control how fast the water comes out of the tap!

Creepy dude on machine in front of you. This is the guy who deliberately gets on a machine in front of you as you're doing your thing on the elliptical or treadmill, and he spends the entire time looking back at you, obviously checking you out. So rude! Dude, I'm trapped!

Hot dude on the machine in front of you. This is the guy who gets on the machine in front of you and you are totally enjoying checking him out but he never ONCE looks back at you like the creepy dude does. Hello, I'm right behind you!

Cellphone droppers. It seems wherever you go in the gym now, there's a cellphone. It's on your machine. It's on your bench. It's on your mat. Once I dropped a kettle ball only to have it roll right over someone's iPhone. People, WHY do you need cellphones at the gym?

Speaking of cellphones ... The ones who get on their cellphone on the elliptical and spend the whole time talking right next to you. Ugh. Thanks, I wanted to know every single thing going on in your life.

The machine chatter. These are the people who get on a machine and then don't use it. Nope, they just sit there chatting with someone else, sometimes their trainer! Waste of money, much? And not only are you taking up a machine, but you are NOT gonna lose any weight that way, buddy. Get movin'.

The splatterer. This is the person who sweats, coughs, or huffs all over a machine for an hour and then casually walks away from it without cleaning it. Gross!

The stuff draper. This is the person who drapes their jacket, their purse, their duffel bag, their towel, whatever it is, over the machine next to them. And then the draper actually looks irritated when you ask him to move it.

What gym habits annoy you?

by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 9:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mehamil1
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 9:24 AM

I hate it when some guys watch sports games and then scream and shout in joy and/or sorrow. So fucking annoying. 

JeremysMom
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 9:29 AM
My only complaint about the gym I go to is the location of the water fountain on the fitness floor. It is located too close to an eliptical machine so you can only use it if someone is not on that machine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Vertical15
by Vanessa on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:01 AM

My gym has one of those people that wears headphones and then SINGS at the TOP OF HER LUNGS!  I swear!  I started to not mind going a little later just to not end up near her.

Vertical15
by Vanessa on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Cellphone droppers. It seems wherever you go in the gym now, there's a cellphone. It's on your machine. It's on your bench. It's on your mat. Once I dropped a kettle ball only to have it roll right over someone's iPhone. People, WHY do you need cellphones at the gym?

Speaking of cellphones ... The ones who get on their cellphone on the elliptical and spend the whole time talking right next to you. Ugh. Thanks, I wanted to know every single thing going on in your life.I don't get this either but my gym actually states no phone calls on the machines. 

My gym has rules against phone calls while on the machines.  Its a safety hazzard people!

Reina13
by Reina on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Ohh, I cannot stand the 'grunters'. You know, those weight lifters who want to make sure you notice how much weight they are lifting and make all those very unnecessary moans and grunts with each rep. ugh

ZakTuffMavsMom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 12:48 PM

The splatterers are disgusting! I had a guy next to me one time coughing and hacking the whole time he was on the elliptical. I totally understand every once and a while, because it happens to me too when I am on the treadmill and I am running hard, but the whole time??

I HATE the people who come in COVERED in cologne/perfume or body sprays. I had to leave one time when this girl got on the treadmill next to me because I could not run and breathe. I didn't get to finish my workout and I was pissed.

jamms02
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 1:52 PM
I hate when I go into a class and get in a spot, then someone comes in after & sets up camp rt in front of me when there is a ton of rm everywhere else. Ever hear of personal space...get out of mine, please!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GloBug62
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 6:16 PM

People who stare, really annoy me. I go to a military base gym and sometimes people just sit there and stare at you like you have a third arm growing out of your forehead or act like you aren't supposed to be there. It's annoying and uncomfortable.

KCisPaulsMom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 9:32 AM

I workout at home now, but when I used to go to the gym... I used to hate it when people didn't wear enough clothes to cover their bodies or their clothing was too tight. I don't  mean just skimpy clothing... I mean clothing that left NOTHING to the imagination.

momof5kiki
by Cindy on Jun. 12, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Quoting GloBug62:

People who stare, really annoy me. I go to a military base gym and sometimes people just sit there and stare at you like you have a third arm growing out of your forehead or act like you aren't supposed to be there. It's annoying and uncomfortable.

I do not go to the gym on post for that reason.  We are moving in 4 weeks and my new neighborhood has a gym.  When we went to check out the location no one was using it.  I am sooo excited. 

Cindy
Army wife, Full time college student, Soccer Mom of 6
My running blog
Follow me and learn all about my couch 2 5 K Journey
Wana B Runner

Facebook

Want to know more about me?  Follow my blog
Married to the Military

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)