Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I joined a gym!!! Now what!?!? Not sure where to begin...

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 12:32 AM
  • 12 Replies

My DF and I joined a local fitness center in our town. For us and our 2 DD's (5 and 1) it is $40 per month. This includes all the equipment, all the Body classes (body pump, Zumba, Body combat, Pilates and yoga, etc.), Water aerobics classes (plus swimming lessons for the girls and just general swimming when no class is in session), racquetball, and childcare. We are really excited and DF has already been a few times. I am going tomorrow and I'm SO NERVOUS. I have NEVER been to a gym before. I do not know what equipment to use. I don't know how to workout in general actually. The woman showed me how to use the machines but I don't know what machines to use to get results. What if I overdue it? What if I don't enough? SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME lol I am workout challenged :( Oh and before anyone suggests... I am not getting a personal trainer. $55 per hour is insane lol...

by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 12:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JeremysMom
by Amy on Jun. 12, 2012 at 12:48 AM
1 mom liked this
Does your gym have any programs to get you started? Mine did and it was basically a free 1/2 hour of personal training. I would look into it to see if your gym does that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littleacorn
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 2:21 AM
I mostly just do the classes at my gym.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
firefightergirl
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 2:36 AM
I start my workouts with some cardio. I love the treadmill so I run 1.5-2 miles...prior to 5 wks ago I never ran. I hated it. I did have a knee injury set back 3 wks ago so make sure you stretch. Then I decide if I'm doing arms or legs. If its arms I go do free weighs, you can find examples on YouTube. Then after that I go use the machines. Most have pics and instructions. I do 3 sets of 10-15 on everything I do. They say that the weight should be hard enough to feel the workout and by the last few reps you really have to push through it. Typically by then your nice and sweaty. Sometimes I will go walk or jog some more. Most of the time I will go to the Ab machines and do back extentions and the captains chair which is good for abs. I like to work my back and chest same day as arms. The next time I go I do a little more cardio and then use all the leg machines and really focus on the ab machines.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 12, 2012 at 6:32 AM

I don't go to a gym, so I'm no help but I know lots of other ladies in the group do...good luck mama!

jamms02
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 7:43 AM
For strength training, I love bodypump. Im not very likely to go on the floor and just lift weights. The 'peer pressure' of a class is very helpful. I wont quit if im in a class. ;-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3xangel
by Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 8:21 AM
I always start my gym workout on the treadmill for AT LEAST 30 mins. Then I use the machines & free weights to workout whatever section I'm doing for the day ( I do cardio everyday & alternate arms, legs, & abs).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gperfetto
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 9:31 AM

ugh! I know what you mean! I hate being new to the gym!! My last gym was an all womans gym, so it wasnt so bad! What I usually do is go to the classes. That way you can meet other people in the class and then maybe make a buddy that can show you what they do on the days they arnt doing a class. Just think, everyone is there for the same reason, your no different other then being new! So dont be nervous!! the Zumba is always fun!! I would ask the front desk too, if there is a circuit set up with their machines. usually it will last about 30 min or so on lets say, 10 different machines. Good luck!! and joining the groups/classes is an added plus because studies show you lose more weight when you are group trainning! Hope this somewhat helps!! Good Luck!!

andrea96
by Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Both gyms I have joined in the last 5 years had free personal training sessions to get me started. If that's not available, here's what I do.

M, W, F - 5 minute warmup (usually on the elliptical), strength (mostly on machines, but I'm starting to branch out), and 20 minutes of cardio. On the strength, I try to hit all of the major muscles; if I have time, I do 3 sets of 15 reps, but if I'm short of time, I only do 2 sets.

T, Th, and either Sat or Sun, I try to do 50 minutes of cardio. I usually do the elliptical and bike.

I haven't done many classes, but I want to try body pump.

amax2010
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 7:38 PM

wow I would love to find a gym in my area that does all that. I joined 24hr fitness and my insurance pays for it, but I need to pay for child care. Its 20$ a month for my first and 15$ for my second. Since my oldest wont need it next month I dont want to sign up because I have to pay for 2 months

roseywade
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 7:51 PM

I'm still a little nervous at the gym. I have a membership but don't use it. I like doing videos at home.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)