Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Is 1,200 calories ok for now?? Advice please :)

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 7:34 PM
  • 12 Replies

Hi,

I am recovering from gallbladder surgery and have to eat many small meals.  I'm only a week out so not very active at all.  I started tracking calories yesterday and today to make sure all those meals weren't adding up to anything too crazy.  I figured out I'm getting about 1,200 a day.  I know that's really not enough normally, but given that I'm not exercising, do you think it's ok for now?  I'm 5'4" and 139 lbs.  Thank you!

by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 7:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Threes.Company
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 7:36 PM

What's your age?

MomoLS
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 7:36 PM

1200/day for your height and weight sounds a bit low if you want to MAINTAIN weight.  1200/day is what you'd gun for if you wanted to LOSE weight.

To maintain weight, I think you should aim for 1400/day.

But as always, talk to a professional to be sure!

19andmomtobe
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 8:30 PM
For losing weight 1200 should be the minimum. So I think your good. Use the harris Benedict equation if your not sure
wahmx3
by Shelley on Jun. 15, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Depending on your age, it is likely a bit low... I am 5'4" and weigh 145, my bmr is 1383-1643 with exercising 3-5 days a week ( I am 45), just to give you something to compare with.

LindaClement
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 2:01 AM

You are recuperating from surgery... everything is going to be weird for a while.

Trust your hunger.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 16, 2012 at 7:09 AM

How old are you?  We can help with your BMR if you provide that for us:)

mbskii
by Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 7:41 AM

Thanks so much for your replies!  I am 47.  I have been trying to lose weight and usually work out 6 days/wk doing cardio and/or weights and was eating about 1,600 cal. a day.  I did lose about 7 pounds in the months before surgery and would like to lose another 10 or so.  I just want to make sure I don't go too low in calories for now - I've heard  how the body can go into "starvation mode" if not getting enough.  I'm not able to eat a lot at once with my gallbladder gone now, hence the many small meals.  What is the harris Benedict equation?  Thanks again, you're feedback is appreciated! :)  I love the support here!!

mcginnisc
by Claire on Jun. 16, 2012 at 7:47 AM

1200 is a tiny bit too low for you according to your BMR. 

BMR: 1339

If you stay around 1339 you should be okay since you are unable to workout due to recuping from surgery. 

The Harris Benedict Equation is what you would use to calculate your Maintenance calories with workouts added.. 

There are different equations: 

Sedentary: no workouts at all: BMR *1.2

Lightly active: workout 1-3 days per week: BMR*1.375

Moderately active: workout 3-5 days per week: BMR: 1.55

Very active: workout 6 days per week ( I only use this formula for those hitting at least 2 hours per day or more) BMR*1.725

Extremely active: ( physical job+ working out excessively) BMR*1.9 

So, if you were working out 5 days per week : 1339*1.55 would be the formula I would use for you for maintenance and then drop 500 from that number for loss calories. 

Does that make sense? 

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

Stefanie83
by Ruby Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 7:53 AM
That's my opinion too. I'd work slowly toward eating more but right now you are recovering so try not to stress too much if you aren't getting all your calories in

Quoting LindaClement:

You are recuperating from surgery... everything is going to be weird for a while.

Trust your hunger.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mbskii
by Member on Jun. 17, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Yes that makes sense Claire - thanks.  I don't want to end up losing a lot of muscle, so I'll try to add at least another 100 calories in and then work up.  Thanks so much for everyone's help!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN