Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Quinoa?

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 5:27 PM
  • 13 Replies
1 mom liked this

What are the benefits of Quinoa and what are some of the best ways to incorporate it into your diet?

I have seen a few people mention it in their posts and since I am trying to move towards a "cleaner" way of eating I thought this may be a great addition to my new way of eating. 

Thanks! 

by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 5:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
km1970
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 5:34 PM
1 mom liked this

It's has a higher protein content than other grains. It is a low cholesterol complex carbohydrate and is fiber rich as well. Plus it is gluten free:) It's also a good plant derived source of calcium.

Quiona can be used in place of rice for many dishes. You can mix it with veggies for a side dish or through in some chicken, veggies and seasoning for a whole meal.

I like it as an alternative to oatmeal...I will take some warm quiona, put in blackberries and blueberries and a tsp of honey with almond milk...it is so good:)

You can make salads with it or mix it into salads...it's very versatile.

ballerina.2006
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2012 at 5:57 PM
I use it in place of rice. I prefer it with my fish dishes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
al09
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 6:24 PM

I use it in place of rice as well. Very good for you.

MamaKarrot
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 9:44 PM

I make it as a side dish with whatever, lol.  I toast it on a pan dry and then boil it with some veggies (whatever I have)  It's really good just on its own (it has a good taste to it) and is a really good source of lean protein.

MrsOssiander
by Member on Jun. 27, 2012 at 5:38 AM

I'm actually buying some today :)  Tried it at the build your own salad bar we have at the stores and yum.  I have a huge issue with eating the not so good for you grains and not enough protiens so I'm going to add this a few times a day!

nlonnon
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 6:17 AM
I like it but I have trouble making it for some reason.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sdbrowneyez
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 6:47 AM
I tried making it once I mixed it with veggies and onions but there was NO flavor. I'd love to try it again but would like some specifics. When you use it in place of rice do you season it or just eat it as is? I made it in the rice cooker... I followed a recipe I found online but I didn't turn out well at all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ngm82
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 7:06 AM
I tried it once, the recipe didnt come out too well. Need to try it again. Supposed to be very healthy!
Ngm82
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 7:08 AM
Quoting MamaKarrot:

I make it as a side dish with whatever, lol.  I toast it on a pan dry and then boil it with some veggies (whatever I have)  It's really good just on its own (it has a good taste to it) and is a really good source of lean protein.

What sort of seasoning u used? I tried it once, didnt come out well.. I thought it would taste like cous-cous with veggies but did not.
Thnks!
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 27, 2012 at 7:24 AM

I actually just tried it for the first time yesterday...LOVE it!  I used it in place of rice/pasta...it's very tasty and filling!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN