Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

The battle of emotional eating

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 10:42 AM
  • 10 Replies
1 mom liked this

Does anyone have any tips for overcoming emotional eating?  I do fairly well in eating good stuff, until I get stressed, even a little.  Then, before I realize it, I have a bowl of cheetos in front of me, or am finishing off 3 peanut butter covered graham crackers.  :/    What do you do to work through "that moment" to keep from going into auto-pilot and grabbing comfort junk food?

by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 10:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Stefanie83
by Ruby Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 12:10 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ngm82
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 12:25 PM
3 moms liked this
Well to start with, make healthy food available to u at all times,. It could be fruit/nuts/ crackers/ salad anything.
When u are stressed instead of eating first have two glasses of water.
I used to be the same then my nutritionst suggested me to do jumping jacks! Trust me it worked... Basically it keeps ur mind off things and gives u rush of energy.

If emotional eating happens to u frequently u may want to maintain a diary to see what causes u stress and what kind of food u reach out for ( as in carbs, sugar, protien). This will help you to find a solution for ur problem and u'l know what kind of food u crave for. Then getting healthier substitutes will become easy.

Last but not the least, as Sheldon Cooper would say it, have a hot beverage ;)
ysmgator
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 12:39 PM
If it only happens at home, you should stop buying the comfort food that you normally reach for and change to a healthy alternative. At least until you get better control of it.
19andmomtobe
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 12:46 PM
1 mom liked this

i try to make the healthy choices really easy and accessible. so i go ahead and portion, wash, and cut my fruit and veggies up so that i can just grab and go. that way i dont have the excuse that the pringles can was just an easier snack to get. i emotional eat too. just gotta take it day by day. usually if i stay busy i dont have a problem. its when im being lazy or im just bored that it becomes an issue. my best advice is to get motivated and find a small project to keep yourself busy. so even when something does stress you out.. you dont have the time to go eat that entire bag of cheetos! good luck !

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 1, 2012 at 4:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Emotional eating is hard to overcome, but I'm confident you can do it!  What works for a lot of people is to make a list of things you can do to direct those emotions elsewhere besides food...put that list around your home, especially in your kitchen, and that way when you go to eat food when you're stressed and such, you will be reminded of other options!  Good luck mama!

Also wanted to share with you about another group here on CM called Moms with Eating Problems/Disorders...it's a great group of moms that share in this personal thing!

nlonnon
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 6:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Sometimes I cave. Sometimes water will work. Sometimes just a healthy alternative and sometimes a good workout.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
randomosityblog
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 6:31 PM

When/if I overcome it I will let you know. <3

Dereksmom1018
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 7:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I had an eating disorder as a teen and through most of my 20's. A large part was binge eating from dieting. I would be starving and literally "stuff my face" because of the intense hunger. I agree with the post of always having healthy snacks on hand. For me overcoming emotional eating is paying attention to my blood sugar issues......I am likely to overeat when my sugar is low, then feel guilty about it.  I eat high protien, low fat meals. This helps my mood stay stable....very low chance of binge eating. If I am feeling like I still need something, I have a cup of coffee. It helps soothe me. I hope this makes sense to you.

TBSNBubblegum
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 8:03 PM
1 mom liked this
I tend to eat out of boredom. Been trying to find stuff to do lately but the heat is making it hard to do anything outside.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
zen-o-matic
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Thank you all!  I will write down these ideas and hang it on my fridge!  After reflecting on your ideas, I think my problem is that I just don't like fruits and veggies and looove carbs.  Perhaps I will keep applesauce front and center in my fridge as well as use the other tips.  I've tried to keep the junk out of the house and ended up with a hubby and teens complaining and whining that there was 'nothing to snack on', then they'd go to the gas station and bring home junk.  I tried the 'you could have something healthy' route.... but... well, you can probably guess how that worked. lol  Thank you all.  I feel positive about doing this now!!!  :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN