Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Running Safety Tips & Pet Peeves

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 7:53 PM
  • 13 Replies

RunningStreakDays#11&12...Running Safety Tips & Pet Peeves

Day 11

Man, it's been SO hot lately!  Yesterday I got in 35 minutes of strength/core training and ran 4.4 miles.  I can honestly deal with the heat, but it's the humidity and air quality that really stinks!  It makes it so hard to breathe while running!  My body was definitely feeling tired yesterday...it was nice to have a relaxing day and to actually take a nap too!

Day 12

This morning I did 50 minutes of strength/core training & ran about 2.5 miles outside before deciding I was officially DONE with the heat and humidity!  I then headed to the gym and ran another 2.5 miles on the treadmill.  So, that's 5 miles for today.  Those that know me well know that I loathe treadmills, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do!  Those last 2.5 miles were a piece of cake compared to the first 2.5 miles!  My plan now is to get up early before Brady wakes up to run outside, otherwise I will be running on the treadmill at the gym!

Now, for some safety tips and pet peeves of mine!

Safety Tips  

1. When running outside, ALWAYS carry water with you if it's over 75 degrees outside...hydration is more important than anything when running in the heat!

2. Always carry your cell phone with you while running outside...you never know what can happen and when you might need it.  I use my phone as my source of music (I have an iPhone), so I always have it with me:)  

3. Regardless of the time of day you run or where you run, ALWAYS make eye contact with those you pass, whether they are running, biking, walking, or standing at a bus stop.  Making eye contact with them shows them you are paying attention to your surroundings and that you are aware they are there....you never know what people might do, and you never want to come across to strangers like you aren't paying attention or that you are vulnerable.  

4. Make sure you know where you're going and how long you plan to be out running.  Let someone else know these things as well...that way someone is watching and waiting for you to return.

5. Make sure you run off the street, on the sidewalk, and away from traffic, but against the traffic so that others can see you at all times.

6. Watch out for cracks or bumps in the sidewalk, branches, debris, etc. so that you don't trip and fall.

7. Make sure you're visible to others, especially those driving in cars.  Wear white or brightly colored clothing.

8. Never run alone at night or early in the morning when it's still dark...it's just not a good idea!

9. Don't make assumptions about drivers.  Remember that many drivers aren't paying attention as they're listening to their radio, on their cell phones, etc.  Don't assume they will let you go because you have the right of way.  Be sure to make eye contact with drivers before crossing so they know you are there.

10. Always trust your instincts...if something seems odd or fishy to you, run in the opposite direction like it's part of your normal routine, and head home or somewhere safe.

Pet Peeves

Smokers.  I can't stand to run by people who are smoking...makes me gag!  I honestly wish smoking was illegal for MANY reasons!

Perfume.  When I run at a park, and run by ladies who are covered in perfume, I also want to vomit!  Seriously...who wears perfume to the park to walk?  

Horns..I get annoyed with people who drive by you running and honk their horn...seriously, who does that?  

Litter.  Or rather the horrible people who think it's okay to throw trash out of their car window...or even worse, those who throw their cigarettes out the window onto the street!

Irresponsible Pet Owners.  No one likes to step in crap!  That's gross!  Pick up after your dog and for goodness sake, put your dog on a leash!  I will begin carrying pepper spray with me soon, and I won't hesitate to spray your precious little Fido if he starts running at me!  

Inconsiderate Drivers.  You know who you are.  Chances are, you've even made eye contact with me before speeding up to beat me to the crosswalk.  Have some courtesy for runners!

People who park their cars across the sidewalk.  People, if you can't fit all your cars in your driveway, then park on the street!  The sidewalk is called a sidewalk because people are supposed to be able to walk on it!  They can't walk on it if your car is there!

People who don't return a smile or wave.  Again, you probably know who you are.  It's simply rude!  If someone speaks to you (in whatever way), return the greeting!  Were you raised by wolves?  Would it kill you to raise a hand to wave or turn your lips to a smile?  Is your life that bad?

There...those are my safety tips and pet peeves!

by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 7:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nlonnon
by Tasha on Jul. 2, 2012 at 7:56 PM
Love them! And agree with the majoirty of them!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Threes.Company
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Quote:

3. Regardless of the time of day you run or where you run, ALWAYS make eye contact with those you pass, whether they are running, biking, walking, or standing at a bus stop. Making eye contact with them shows them you are paying attention to your surroundings and that you are aware they are there....you never know what people might do, and you never want to come across to strangers like you aren't paying attention or that you are vulnerable.

I totally agree here, Darby.  I not only make eye contact, I also give a strong/confident greeting as well (sometimes with a wave).  I want them to know that I not only see them, but I am not fearful of them.  I am an aggressive person and if they wanted to choose someone to attack, I would not be a good choice!!! :)

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 2, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Quoting Threes.Company:

Quote:

3. Regardless of the time of day you run or where you run, ALWAYS make eye contact with those you pass, whether they are running, biking, walking, or standing at a bus stop. Making eye contact with them shows them you are paying attention to your surroundings and that you are aware they are there....you never know what people might do, and you never want to come across to strangers like you aren't paying attention or that you are vulnerable.

I totally agree here, Darby.  I not only make eye contact, I also give a strong/confident greeting as well (sometimes with a wave).  I want them to know that I not only see them, but I am not fearful of them.  I am an aggressive person and if they wanted to choose someone to attack, I would not be a good choice!!! :)

I typically smile, wave, or say "hi" to almost everyone I pass while running!  I want them to know I'm on top of my game!  

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 2, 2012 at 8:02 PM

There's one you don't agree with?  Did I offend you?  Sorry if I did as I truly didn't mean to:)

Quoting nlonnon:

TBSNBubblegum
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 8:16 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with everything. I always try to smile at someone or say hi when the family goes on nature hikes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nlonnon
by Tasha on Jul. 2, 2012 at 8:16 PM
Darby you are silly. No you didn't offend me AT ALL!! The only I don't agree with is the running in the dark, as long as a runner has on the right reflective gear and even some carry flashlights I think it is ok, while maybe not the best idea.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

There's one you don't agree with?  Did I offend you?  Sorry if I did as I truly didn't mean to:)

Quoting nlonnon:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 2, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Oh good!  I'm glad to hear that:)

Quoting nlonnon:

Darby you are silly. No you didn't offend me AT ALL!! The only I don't agree with is the running in the dark, as long as a runner has on the right reflective gear and even some carry flashlights I think it is ok, while maybe not the best idea.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Quoting nlonnon:

BeAmour
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Yes, yes and YES again!!!

BeAmour
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2012 at 8:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I get nervous running in the dark down my street because there are A LOT of bushes...I'm paranoid though, LOL.

Quoting nlonnon:

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Quoting nlonnon:

swesolek6
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Quoting nlonnon:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)