Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

What is hummus and where can I get it?

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 1:14 PM
  • 13 Replies
What do you do with it? And is it delish?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 1:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
A.J.s_mommy
by Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 1:16 PM
Dip carrots in it. It's not the best thing I've eaten, but I like it now and then. I bought mine at kroger.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jendawn1
by Ruby Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 1:16 PM
Its a dip .its cooked chickpeas and seasons. And u can buy it at the grocery store or make it at home.

I have a recipe that is amazing for it

1 can chickpeas
1/3 cup peanut butter or Tahini
5-6 tsp lemon
1 tbsp ligh soya sauce
2 cloves of garlic
1/2 c. Water
Boil chick peas for five mins
Then add everything into blender except the water add in slowly
Blend til smooth

I even make it for my pizza sauce!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyLehr
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 1:17 PM
If you have a trader joes near you get it there! It's the best hummus I've had, the company dh works for makes it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof3inTN
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 1:19 PM

I prefer to make hummus (it's super easy if you have a food processor). It's a dip. You can dip veggies in or we like to dip flatbread (or pita) in it as a snack.

Sunshine257
by Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 1:20 PM

I absolutely love hummus. It is  good on cracker spreads. Or dip cut up red peppers in it. It is tahini chickpeas garlic and lemon.The tahini in the humus actually acts as an natural antidepressant.

SaraNicole1019
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 1:21 PM
I found this recipe just now on pinterest and it's hummus on whole wheat bread with Avacado and a roasted tomato. I'll definitely try and do that! It's good for you, right?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mcr17
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 1:23 PM

its good with pita bread or triscuits, you can also put in on sandwiches.

its made from chick peas

romalove
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Quoting SaraNicole1019:

I found this recipe just now on pinterest and it's hummus on whole wheat bread with Avacado and a roasted tomato. I'll definitely try and do that! It's good for you, right?

It's good for you, but you have to be careful about that.

Meaning, you have to be aware of what it consists of and of portion control and what your entire diet is like.

Tahini is high in fat and it's a component of hummus, which gives it some fat (it's a healthy fat, but it still has calories as a fat).  If you also have avocado, which is also a healthy fat but a fat, you could add up to a bunch of calories without paying much attention.

KittyGram
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Making your own would probably be the best tasting one.  I'm fortunate enough to live near a Mediterranean restaurant, so every now and then I'll go in and get me some hummus made that day.  Otherwise, a great brand to buy at the grocery store is Sabra.  Theirs is very good! 

It's pretty thick, but it's a great "dip" for almost any veggie.  And with pitas, and I'm sure with a lot of crackers (someone else mentioned triscuits, I think?).

cafay
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 1:27 PM

I like it better with white cannellini beans. I dont like chick peas. But google it. There are a ton of recipes for it and it tastes better than any of the store stuff I've bought.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)