Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

can i get there by treadmill alone?

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 6:46 PM
  • 10 Replies
Here's my dilema...I hate working out always have. I need to drop 75 lbs to be at a feel good weight. I bought a treadmill over the winter and I am finally using it! I'm doing a brisk walk 3-4 x a week using 5lb hand weights for an hour.
Question is can I reach my goal by counting calories and walking on my treadmill?
Sugestions are welcome please no bashing! Thanx
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 6:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Threes.Company
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 6:49 PM
2 moms liked this

Not just by walking, no.

You'd have to keep switching up what you are doing.  Sometimes power-walking, sometimes jogging, sometimes doing interval training.

Your body adjusts as you continue to work out.  You'll get to a point where walking alone will be too easy.  Unless you keep switching things up to keep your body guessing and to keep pushing yourself, you will likely plateau.

You can START there.  But expect to switch things up, too.  I'd recommend 2-1-1 intervals.  2 minutes moderate walking, 1 min fast power-walk, 1 min jog (or fast run if you can handle it), and repeat for an hour.

BelindaDuvessa
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 6:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd also add in some general, all over weight training.  You'll need to mix this up as well, but no point in losing the weight if you aren't toned to show it off as well.  Also, it'll up your metabolism to help you burn fat, be less tired, and just generally feel better.  All positive things.

Also, look into the Couch to 5k program.  I've heard alot of good about it, and it switches up enough to not be "boring" to your body.

You won't find much bashing here.  This is a good group.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 12, 2012 at 7:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Completely agree here!  Good luck mama...you can do this!

Quoting Threes.Company:

Not just by walking, no.

You'd have to keep switching up what you are doing.  Sometimes power-walking, sometimes jogging, sometimes doing interval training.

Your body adjusts as you continue to work out.  You'll get to a point where walking alone will be too easy.  Unless you keep switching things up to keep your body guessing and to keep pushing yourself, you will likely plateau.

You can START there.  But expect to switch things up, too.  I'd recommend 2-1-1 intervals.  2 minutes moderate walking, 1 min fast power-walk, 1 min jog (or fast run if you can handle it), and repeat for an hour.

MJNMADDYSMOMMY
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 10:09 PM
Thanx this sounds like something I can do, ill probably start with the jog & work up to a run.lol

Quoting Threes.Company:

Not just by walking, no.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LuvMyBoy08
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 10:11 PM
1 mom liked this
YES YOU CAN!! I lost 65lbs in 5 months just walking 4 miles a day at a fast paced walk
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MJNMADDYSMOMMY
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 10:11 PM
Thanx! Will do I can handle some weight training I do want to tone up. I've seen people talk about couch to 5k now I'm definatly checking it out.

Quoting BelindaDuvessa:

I'd also add in some general, all over weight training.  You'll need to mix this up as well, but no point in losing the weight if you aren't toned to show it off as well.  Also, it'll up your metabolism to help you burn fat, be less tired, and just generally feel better.  All positive things.

Also, look into the Couch to 5k program.  I've heard alot of good about it, and it switches up enough to not be "boring" to your body.

You won't find much bashing here.  This is a good group.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
swesolek6
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 10:13 PM
eating your bmr every day? that's awesome!

Quoting LuvMyBoy08:

YES YOU CAN!! I lost 65lbs in 5 months just walking 4 miles a day at a fast paced walk
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MJNMADDYSMOMMY
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 10:15 PM
Wow! That's awsome congrats! Now that I own one I finally feel like the treadmills not that scary! lol

Quoting LuvMyBoy08:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Yuriko_chan
by Member on Jul. 12, 2012 at 10:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I knew someone in college who power walked only and lost 52 lbs.

LuvMyBoy08
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 10:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Jus remember to change it up so your body doesn't get used to one routine.

Quoting MJNMADDYSMOMMY:

Wow! That's awsome congrats! Now that I own one I finally feel like the treadmills not that scary! lol

Quoting LuvMyBoy08:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)