Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

What do you do when you're sick?

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 10:18 PM
  • 13 Replies
Do you continue your diets and excersise when you are sick?

I normally don't eat a lot of carbs but we've made 3 pans of rolls (36count) in the last 24/48 hours. They are one of the only things soft enough for my sore throat. We eat fairly clean so everything must be prepped. Dh is being great and helping. I excersised yesterday but today I'm much sicker :(

Please share food ideas from when you are sick and if you excersise or not. I'm just curious if I'm being a baby lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 10:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tanya_marieh
by Tanya on Jul. 15, 2012 at 11:06 PM

I always make chicken soup and put in some hot sauce and it seems to help.  I also do not work out at all while sick, just because you need rest to fight the infection and you don't want to tax your body to much.

Jazzy2010
by Member on Jul. 15, 2012 at 11:11 PM
I agree you need to rest.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jul. 15, 2012 at 11:16 PM
Diet I try to stick with. I do make soup that's insanely high in sodium when I'm sick (though I may not anymore, because then it upsets my stomach!), and if it's a stomach thing, I eat saltines and applesauce or whatever will stay down. But I still try to watch my calories, and eating lots of nutritious foods while sick will ensure you have what you need on board to fight infection. For exercise, as a general rule, if it's just a head thing, you're generally safe (take a hanky for your nose- I always carry one), but if it's below the neck (lungs/chest, stomach), then you need to rest. Do what you feel safe doing. But I generally feel better after doing some cardio, even gentle work. Hope you feel better soon!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

ballerina.2006
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2012 at 11:23 PM

I generally follow this :) I've been so exhausted today that I've just slept and thankfully dh let me and my kids went out on a "date" with my siblings.

I totally forgot I have applesauce. I'll have to eat some of that. I've carb loaded these last 2 days and I definitely am regretting it.

Quoting musicpisces:

Diet I try to stick with. I do make soup that's insanely high in sodium when I'm sick (though I may not anymore, because then it upsets my stomach!), and if it's a stomach thing, I eat saltines and applesauce or whatever will stay down. But I still try to watch my calories, and eating lots of nutritious foods while sick will ensure you have what you need on board to fight infection. For exercise, as a general rule, if it's just a head thing, you're generally safe (take a hanky for your nose- I always carry one), but if it's below the neck (lungs/chest, stomach), then you need to rest. Do what you feel safe doing. But I generally feel better after doing some cardio, even gentle work. Hope you feel better soon!

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jul. 15, 2012 at 11:37 PM
Sleep is definitely important, especially while sick! I'm glad your DH and siblings allowed you a quiet house for that!!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

aprilsalcro
by Silver Member on Jul. 15, 2012 at 11:58 PM
I continue my daily routine
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KaylaMillar
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 12:38 AM
I rest
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ngm82
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 7:57 AM
A bowl of hot soup always help. Try to increase ur inake of vitamin c when u have a cold. I am down with a flu too.. My trainer has asked me to take 3days off from workouts.. Feeling guilty missing exercise!
Hope u feel better soon..
eema.gray
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 8:44 AM

Garlic soup!

Threes.Company
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 9:28 AM

When I am sick, I eat the "maintaining" level of calories (if I am hungry for it).  I do not try to cut calories for weight loss (intentionally) while sick.  My body needs fuel to heal and fight off infections/viruses.

I try not to work out when I am sick either.  My body needs rest as much as it needs fuel.  Taking what little energy I have and spending it on workouts is only going to further exhaust me and slow my recovery time.  It's not worth it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)