Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

My fun Ortho appointment..

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 2:11 PM
  • 10 Replies

So, I had my recheck for my MRI this morning at 8:45am.. I walk into the office and it smells smoky. I thought I was losing my mind, but everyone smelled it. Soon enough, they evacuated the entire building and the Fire Department showed up to inspect the building. There were 3 trucks as well as the Fire Chief truck with firefighters in full gear with ladders going into the building. So, everyone was outside in the heat ( live in Atlanta burbs) waiting. One of our family friends works there and he was sitting outside with me and my girls. He knew I was going to the allergist for my shots when I left there, so he told me to leave and he would text me when they were back in the building. 

I went down the street to the Allergist ( with 2 kids in tow). I got my injections and had to wait 30 minutes afterwards as always. It is now after 10 am. He texts me and says come back asap. Back to the Ortho I head with my girls... 

Here comes the really fun part.. I get back there and my Ortho says that nothing showed up on the MRI at all... I had a ton of swelling, pain and fluid on my knee. So, he sprays my knee to numb it, then, he injects it with a med to numb it further. After that fun, he begins to drain my knee... Holy moly did that hurt!!!!!! I also got an injection of a steroid. He told me that I'm going to want to stay still the rest of today ( yeah, right) and all day tomorrow..We went to Walmart for me to hobble around and get a few things, now I'm chillin' on the couch until Lilly has Karate at 4. She has to go since she has Testing today and tomorrow. 

The pain sucks...bad. My muscle keeps jumping as it is coming out of the numbing meds so that feels funky, but since it is wearing off the pain is getting pretty intolerable. The GOOD news is that he told me that I can start running again this weekend. He wants me to take it easy for a few days to let the fluid relax, and for the steroid to work properly. He thinks it is an Arthritic flare up since I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and wants to see me in a month. 

I'm so glad that my running days are not over and that he has given me the green light for my half marathons!!!!!!!!!! Whoo hoo!!!!! The crappy part is I have taken almost 3 weeks off from training, so my next run will be 7-8 miles in length! Eeek...as my first run in weeks, that is going to be rough, but I'll do it. 

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 2:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Stefanie83
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 2:13 PM

yuck Claire!!!  I hope it feels better soon!  But that's good that you can start training soon.

EiuGirl316
by Leah on Jul. 23, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Glad you have the green light to get back to running. That whole procedure sounds so stinking painful though!

Owaoma
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 3:41 PM
Sorry Mama, thank God it didn't go beyond that. Get well soon.
Lesgerm
by Leslie on Jul. 23, 2012 at 3:57 PM
Awww that sucks. But yay for being able to run again!! Feel better Claire :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jendawn1
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 5:12 PM
Glad they figured it out. Sorry for the pain momma.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emtgirl885
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 5:54 PM
Hope it heals up soon!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 23, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Hugs Claire!  That really sucks...I can't deal with pain...I'm a weenie!  Glad you can run again though! 

Threes.Company
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 7:06 PM

How funny... that is the SAME thing that happened to my ankle last fall!  It swelled up, filled with fluid and was painful.  They tried to drain mine, but the fluid split into several pockets instead of one big pocket, so he couldn't actually get it to drain (after digging in my ankle with a huge needle for a while).  I ended up getting a cortizone injection, which brought the swelling down and helped my body slowly get rid of the fluid on its own.  It did come back a little bit, 3 months later, but it's gone again and has been gone for months now... thank God!  I don't have RA (though they sent me to a rheumatologist just to be sure), but for some unexplained reason, my ankle did something similar!

So glad to hear you can run again!!! WOO HOO!!!!! 

...and that is so random about the fire trucks and such!!! How random! :)

wahmx3
by Shelley on Jul. 24, 2012 at 12:03 PM

So both good and bad... focus on running again to help with the pain. Mind over matter.... you are a tough cookie.

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jul. 24, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Sounds crazy and hectic!  But I'm glad you've got the green light for running this weekend!  Looking forward to an update on that!!  I hope your knee feels better today than yesterday!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)