Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

I just don't understand...beyond speechless...OT!

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 4:51 PM
  • 23 Replies

On the way out of the mall today, a woman asked me if Brady was sick with leukemia since he had a bald head, pale skin, & was riding in a wagon (yes, she pointed out each of those things to me). I informed her that he did not have leukemia, and she immediately apologized stating that she didn't know if she should have asked in the first place as sometimes people are weary of others making comments (no joke woman!), but that she didn't want to to NOT ask if he DID indeed have leukemia. Seriously? If he did have leukemia, she didn't need to ask anyways as it's none of her business! I did tell her that he has Cystic Fibrosis (I didn't even bother to mention the Autism, Aarskog Syndrome, Brain Damage, or Gastroperesis) and she proceeds to tell me that her friend has 2 children with CF and they have a very hard life.  She informed me that I have a tough road ahead of me, and she wished me good luck.  Again, seriously?  Don't you think I know how hard my child's life will be?  He's MY child by the way!  I was beyond speechless after this....all I could do was cry once we got in the car...I just don't understand people...if you see someone you think might be sick, why ask the mother if her child is sick? Why is it your place to ask and why is it your business?

My mom taught me that if you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all.  Was I the only one raised like that?  

by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 4:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
StephB060811
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 4:56 PM

some people just need to have their mouths super glued shut. Im sorry you had to deal with that.

km1970
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 5:01 PM

wow...I am sorry you had to deal with that. Hugs, momma.

jendawn1
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 5:06 PM
Hugs momma.
I think some ppl think they are "being helpful".
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lauracb10
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 5:09 PM
1 mom liked this

This is a perfect example of having a filter and not using it... obviously since she thought twice about saying something and did anyway... the idiocy of people never ceases to amaze me....

I am sorry you had this happen to you... *hugs*

Idntreallycare
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 5:13 PM

I would only ask if a child was sick if they were playing near mine and like coughing/sneezing.... what did she hope to accomplish? If you said yes, would she have snapped her fingers and fixed it or something? Ugh

I'm sorry you have to deal with ignorance like that

Jenn8604
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 5:15 PM
hugs!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EiuGirl316
by Leah on Jul. 23, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Wow, that's awful. :-( I'm sorry you had to deal with an ignorant person like that. 

gsprofval
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Obviously she was not the brightest light in the mall.

Hugs.

Jace1028
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 5:50 PM
Ugh. What a tactless nitwit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TBSNBubblegum
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 6:01 PM
1 mom liked this
One of many stupid people that don't know how to keep their mouth shut.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN