Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

edit*I'm not allowed to work out anymore, gaining weight.... FML(yes, I said it)

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 2:02 PM
  • 20 Replies

I found out a few weeks ago that I have a rather large tumor in my head. Even before we found out about the tumor, my neurologist said to stop doing Insanity. Which basically rules everything else out. 

Let me list my symptoms and maybe you guys can help me avoid making them worse but still be able to work out until surgery. 

Dizziness, intermittent vision loss, headaches(when not on Mobic), very poor balance(fall when doing heel to toe unless somehow helps me balance). I think those are the main ones. Some days my symptoms are worse. 

I don't really want to go walking anywhere by myself, just in case. Maybe it will be best to not work out for now, but I've already gained back nearly 10lbs that I recently lost. And I know I'm eating a little more junk food than usual, I'm a emotional/bored/stress eater. So... bad time for me right now.

I just hate not being able to do anything right now. I can't even begin to express how much i bothers me, frustrates me and pisses me off. I hate it. And, I know I have more important things to worry about but... this just sucks.

EDIT:

Too many replies to quote all so I'll try replying to everything here.

As far as getting rid of junk food, I'm living with other people while my DH is deployed. I don't have very much control over what food is in the house. I wouldn't say I'm addicted to food but it is extremely hard for me to resist junk food. I will think about it all day long until I give in. 

My in-laws have a treadmill but I'm about to be moving out of state to live with my family. My mom has an elliptical. Which I've used before and would be harder on my balance. I'm not sure I can afford to buy a recumbent bike. I will check craiglist when I get out there and see if I can find a cheap one. 

I think my family will be more respctful to my eating habits as two of them are trying to ose weight as well. I bet my mom would go on walks with me around the neighborhood, too. 

I have a really bad sweet tooth, what are some good healthy snacks that will help keep that at bay?

And thank you for the prayers. :)

Starting weight: 217

by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 2:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Stefanie83
by Ruby Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 5:12 PM

You really can just focus on eating.  I recommend counting calories, but you could also just make sure most of your choices are healthy.  Are you able to walk on a treadmill either at home or at a gym where you wouldn't be alone?

JuliFox
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 5:15 PM

This.  And get rid of all the junk food in your house.  If you mush nosh, nosh on stuff that is good for you.  Carrots have a nice satisfying crunch, and celery with peanut butter in it not only has a nice crunch but provides protein too.  Sip on ice water through the day.  I make myself drink at least 8 ounces before I eat each meal, and it helps me feel fuller so I don't overeat.

Quoting Stefanie83:

You really can just focus on eating.  I recommend counting calories, but you could also just make sure most of your choices are healthy.  Are you able to walk on a treadmill either at home or at a gym where you wouldn't be alone?

nlonnon
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 5:27 PM
First, I hope and pry your surgery goes well. Second, focus on diet. Weight loss is more diet than exercise. You can make changes there that will be easy and manageable.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenn8604
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 5:30 PM
no its not diet. diets are those stupid things that dont work. EATING HEALTHIER is what it is. Smaller portions and more of the good stuff=less weight gained and more loss.

Quoting nlonnon:

First, I hope and pry your surgery goes well. Second, focus on diet. Weight loss is more diet than exercise. You can make changes there that will be easy and manageable.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
monkeybelle83
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Cut out all the junk food. Give up any sugary beverages. Water water water.

You can look into chair exercises just to keep yourself moving a bit

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jul. 30, 2012 at 5:43 PM
Quoting Jenn8604:

Diet= food intake. She's not talking about some fad diet. Diet is an overall term for food intake.
OP- I agree, you should focus on what you're eating as much as possible. I lost my initial weight without making changes to my fitness routine, because that was really the biggest thing that needed to change. Take this time to work on your emotional eating habit, how to keep junk food out of the house, etc.
For exercise, what about a recumbent stationary bike? It might make the balancing easier, and it's still a good workout, if you have access to one. Can you do strength moves like crunches, planks, or push ups? There are various moves that can be done on the floor, which can eliminate (at least partially) the balance issue. It might not help the headaches, though. I'd say to experiment and see if anything you try doesn't aggravate your symptoms. I hope everything goes well moving forward with treatment! Good luck!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

KCayea
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 6:35 PM

i have a stantionary bike. its the kind with the set with a back. i cant remember what they call them, but you sit back on it and your legs are infront. its hard to lose balance and fall off it

monkeybelle83
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 7:01 PM

recumbent bike :-)

Quoting KCayea:

i have a stantionary bike. its the kind with the set with a back. i cant remember what they call them, but you sit back on it and your legs are infront. its hard to lose balance and fall off it

Owaoma
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 7:14 PM
1 mom liked this
God is your strength, your health is more important now. I prey God to be with you, guild and protect you b4 and after your surgery in Jesus name. Amen, don't worry, you will be just fine. Then after surg, you can then talk about diet. Good luck in everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry thing, be strong dear.
mcginnisc
by Claire on Jul. 30, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Quoting Jenn8604:

no its not diet. diets are those stupid things that dont work. EATING HEALTHIER is what it is. Smaller portions and more of the good stuff=less weight gained and more loss.

Quoting nlonnon:

Stick around and you'll soon figure out that we tell people to focus on their diet...as in, eating cleanly and drinking water. We NEVER tell people to actually "diet"...that is a serious 4 letter word in this group. We don't believe in them. We believe in a good healthy diet that focuses on a proper balance of macronutrients and micronutrients. 

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN