Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Are you supposed to eat before a morning workout?

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 6:49 PM
  • 22 Replies

Just curious. I am not hungry right away in the morning. And I usually am awake for about 45 min before I start my workout. Should I eat something before I workout and if I do do I have to wait an hour before I work out?

by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 6:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dreamer_8291
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 6:51 PM
Food supposedly gives you energy (I personally don't think it gives me energy). So if you think you're lacking energy during your workout then yes you should eat. And yes you should wait at least a hour to workout after you eat.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aprilsalcro
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 9:06 PM
I do or I get light headed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BeAmour
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 9:09 PM

You are supposed to eat a good carb, as much as you think you'll need to sustain you for the entire work out.

Carbohydrates goes to our cells and makes ATP.

ATP is used from our mitochondria.

The more exercise you do, the  more mitochondria your cells build; the more APT (energy) they have to store the energy.

If you cannot make it through your normal workout, you have run out of ATP.

Mitochondria is where our endurance is built from.

I like to eat an apple and peanut butter if I'm going for a short work out. If I'm going for a long work out; I do a smoothie.

BeAmour
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 9:12 PM

What type of food do you eat?

You may not feel like you're getting the energy; it's not like B vitamins. It's your bodys source of energy. It comes from the cellular level.

Good carbohydrates are what fuels the mitochondria in the cells.

Depending on how active you are, you may not feel like you have energy because if you're not regularly exercising, you aren't building more and more mitochondria. For example (and this is just for reference); for someone who is sedentary; they have 10 mitochondria per cell...10 mitochondria doesn't store that much engery (ATP).

A person who works out 5-6 days a week has 1,000 mitochondria so there is a lot of energy stored inside of the cells to give the body its fuel.

Quoting dreamer_8291:

Food supposedly gives you energy (I personally don't think it gives me energy). So if you think you're lacking energy during your workout then yes you should eat. And yes you should wait at least a hour to workout after you eat.

dreamer_8291
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 9:22 PM
I stick to the Insanity nutrition guide and workout 6 days a week. I was doing Insanity, but now I'm doing Tap Out XT.

Quoting BeAmour:

You may not feel like you're getting the energy; it's not like B vitamins. It's your bodys source of energy. It comes from the cellular level.

Depending on how active you are, you may not feel like you have energy because if you're not regularly exercising, you aren't building more and more mitochondria. For example (and this is just for reference); for someone who is sedentary; they have 10 mitochondria per cell...10 mitochondria doesn't store that much engery (ATP).

A person who works out 5-6 days a week has 1,000 mitochondria so there is a lot of energy stored inside of the cells to give the body its fuel.

Quoting dreamer_8291:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BeAmour
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 9:24 PM

I have no idea what that guide looks like. Any carbohydrate will do but it's the good complex carbohydrates that don't turn into triglycerides and stick inside of your liver. They do their job and are gone later.

Quoting dreamer_8291:

I stick to the Insanity nutrition guide and workout 6 days a week. I was doing Insanity, but now I'm doing Tap Out XT.

Quoting BeAmour:

Quoting dreamer_8291:

Firemanswife723
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Thanks for asking this, I was curious about it too!! =)

dreamer_8291
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 9:30 PM
You can probably Google it if you really want to know. It's just a lot to try to explain. Lol

Quoting BeAmour:

I have no idea what that guide looks like. Any carbohydrate will do but it's the good complex carbohydrates that don't turn into triglycerides and stick inside of your liver. They do their job and are gone later.

Quoting dreamer_8291:

Quoting BeAmour:

Quoting dreamer_8291:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaJessx3
by Gold Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 9:30 PM
I always eat at least something small like a piece of toast with a little peanut butter. You want to fuel with good carbs before working out. But you dont have to eat a lot. If you just eat something small then you shouldn't have to wait. I don't.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
justinnaimee
by Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 9:31 PM
I usually have a protein bar or shake then have real food after my workout.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)