Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Anyone here have long hair?

Posted by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 6:07 PM
  • 35 Replies

I am at a point where I need to lose weight. I weighed myself the other day and I am 185 lbs. I can't believe I have let myself get this way and it needs to change because I am unhappy with the way clothes fit me and unhappy how much energy it takes just to do small things.

One of my biggest discouragements, believe it or not, in weight loss is my hair. I have very long hair and nothing I do will keep it up out of my face while I work out without falling out 10 times in 10 minutes or hurting my head.

What do you do to keep your hair out of your face while you work out? Can I see examples?

by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 6:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BelindaDuvessa
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Unfortunately, I no longer have long hair.  But for cardio, I'd recommend a type of bun.  It should keep it up and out of your face.  You're going for functionality here, not beauty.  For weights, if you're using a machine where you might need to lay back against something, a pony is fine.

You say putting your hair back hurts.....do you usually wear it down?

roxysmommy
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 6:18 PM

I use 2-3 hair ties, flip my heat upside-down and do a messy bun on top of my head. The extra hair ties keeps it up really well.

StudentofLife
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 6:20 PM

It's really long, past my butt so a bun does not work for me.

I would like to do things including yoga and stuff that requires me to keep it out of my face in any position.

It doesn't hurt to put it up, it hurts to put it up in a manor that would keep it there while jumping around.

Quoting BelindaDuvessa:

Unfortunately, I no longer have long hair.  But for cardio, I'd recommend a type of bun.  It should keep it up and out of your face.  You're going for functionality here, not beauty.  For weights, if you're using a machine where you might need to lay back against something, a pony is fine.

You say putting your hair back hurts.....do you usually wear it down?

StudentofLife
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 6:21 PM

I will have to try the extra hair ties. I have a million laying around. Thank you!

Quoting roxysmommy:

I use 2-3 hair ties, flip my heat upside-down and do a messy bun on top of my head. The extra hair ties keeps it up really well.

roxysmommy
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Have your tried maybe doing two buns?

StudentofLife
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 6:22 PM

My hair isn't that thick so it's not a matter of not being able to, it's just super long so I would have to wrap it over 10 times and it just falls out.

Quoting roxysmommy:

Have your tried maybe doing two buns?

MamaJessx3
by Gold Member on Aug. 1, 2012 at 6:23 PM
I put it up in a pony tail and then do the whole pull it halfway thru thing so it only hangs down half as much. Still sits on my neck and I hate it but I'm growing it out to donate it. I'm almost there, like another inch. I needed it to be long because when I donate it I don't want to have super short hair...at least shoulder length after the cut
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lesgerm
by Leslie on Aug. 1, 2012 at 6:24 PM
I just do a ponytail. Maybe try one or two braids?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ddemarco
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 6:25 PM

A lot of people braid it first and then put it up.  Braiding shortens the length a little bit.

StudentofLife
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 6:25 PM

I do this around the house sometimes but my hair is past my but so pulling it through like that still leaves me with an average person's pony tail.

Quoting MamaJessx3:

I put it up in a pony tail and then do the whole pull it halfway thru thing so it only hangs down half as much. Still sits on my neck and I hate it but I'm growing it out to donate it. I'm almost there, like another inch. I needed it to be long because when I donate it I don't want to have super short hair...at least shoulder length after the cut

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)