Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Feedback Welcome! Hudson_Heights' Journal

Posted by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 11:41 AM
  • 9 Replies

I'm on day 3 of trying to get my body back under control and would really love some input!

I only have about 15 lbs to lose which I know doesn't sound like much, but I'm a very small person (short, small frame) so it's a pretty significant change.  Worst of all though is that none of my clothes fit.  I mean truly cannot zip/button etc.  It's awful.

This is what I've been doing so far.  Let me know if you have any additional suggestions or if you notice something wrong!

~ I've cut out coffee - This is mostly because my reflux is really bad right now but also because I have several teaspoons of sugar in each cup and I'm trying to eliminate sugar and stay away from artificial sweeteners.

~ I'm trying to eliminate sugar - Some of this is easy.  I'm having zero sweets and no "obvious" sugar at all.  I'm also being very mindful of "hidden" sugars but haven't been able to eliminate them entirely.  For example I had a little bit of salad dressing yesterday that had about 1 gram of sugar and I ate some Tums that had 3 grams.  I don't know that I'm going to be able to eliminate sugar entirely but I'm definitely limiting.

~ Eating "good" carbs - I'm eating lots of whole grains etc... but staying away from things like white flour and potatoes etc.

~ Cutting out alcohol (temporarily LOL)

~ Not letting myself get too hungry - I can't say that I'm doing 6 small meals, but I AM having healthy snack between meals so I don't get over-hungry which is when I usually over-indulge in the "bad" stuff

~ Lots of lean protein - I'm not officially doing a high protein/low carb diet, but I am trying to be sure to get plenty of lean protein

~ Exercising daily - I haven't exercised regularly since before my 2 1/2 year old was born :-(  I'm about to log-off and do my 3rd day of exercise in a row!  So far I'm doing about 10 minutes of warm-ups, 20 minutes of cardio, and some abs - daily.  And every other day I'm including some light weights

~ Upping my water intake - I've cut out diet soda completely and am drinking lots of water

I don't have a scale so I don't plan to go by weight (although I know from my last dr.'s visit that I'm 15 lbs heavier than I'd like to be).  I'm going mostly by how my clothes feel (as I mentioned above, nothing fits anymore).  But I also did some measurements last night so I can have something solid to look at for encouragement.

Here's what a typical day has looked like so far in terms of food:

Breakfast - 2 eggs

Snack - plain greek yogurt and an apple

Lunch - salad with leafy greens, grilled chicken and low-fat cheese

Snack - whole wheat crackers with Laughing Cow cheese spread

Dinner - Grilled chicken with guacamole, grilled carrots and peppers, brown rice w/ lentils

NO DESSERT!

Thoughts?  Advice?

by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 11:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
momofcg
by Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 11:51 AM
Sounds good. I track my food u can use sparkpeople or something like it. I find that helpful
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hudson_Heights
by Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Thanks!!!

asaffell
by Silver Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Your plan sounds perfect! But don't train your abs daily - it's a muscle group like all others, so give them some time to recover. Maybe do arms one day, abs the next, then legs so everything has a chance to heal and grow stronger.

Hudson_Heights
by Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Quoting asaffell:

Your plan sounds perfect! But don't train your abs daily - it's a muscle group like all others, so give them some time to recover. Maybe do arms one day, abs the next, then legs so everything has a chance to heal and grow stronger.

Ooh, thanks for that advice!  I never thought about it that way. 

Hudson_Heights
by Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 2:13 PM

I should add that there are some things I have NOT eliminated entirely - like some fats.  I'm using olive oil, and full fat salad dressing, for example - just not a lot of it.  I'm hoping that other lifestyle changes - like eliminating sugar and alcohol - will make up for it.  And I know our bodies need some fats - and they're "healthier" fats that I'm using so I'm hoping that's not the wrong choice.

Cafe Kristin
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 2:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Great plan! Very realistic and healthy. I am going to follow your plan minus the no coffee. Def cannot do that! But I do usually drink it black so no sugar. Thanks! Keep us updated! :)

Hudson_Heights
by Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 10:19 PM

I just realized my waist is 6 inches bigger than when I got married and 3 inches bigger than before my son was born.  No wonder my pants don't fit :-(

mistressmambo
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 10:45 PM

sounds like you're doing good.. I agree about not doing abs every day

good luck

Hudson_Heights
by Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 12:38 PM

I already lost an inch in my waist!!!!!!!!!  I can't believe it!  I did NOT plan to measure so soon (it's only been 6 days) but it actually LOOOKED smaller so I couldn't resist.  I didn't want to measure early because I didnt' want to get discouraged. Instead, I'm pumped to keep going!!!!! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)