Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm scared

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 2:50 AM
  • 13 Replies
Im scared im becomming too obsessed with loseing weight. I have well over 100 lbs to lose, and I am just so desperate to lose the weight. I weigh myself multiple times a day and depending what the results of that weigh in is if it's not what I want it to be/ think it should be I won't allow myself to eat for the rest of the day. Im barely eating anything, and idk how to fix this. For example today I had a bagel with cream cheese for breakfast, a salad ( boiled egg, tomato, lettuce, mozzarella cheese and raisins with ranch, a cucumber and another bagel with cream cheese. Oh and a banana. I'm so lost. I don't want to end up with an eating disorder. But I don't want to be so fat that I can't even look at myself In the mirror either. Advice please!!!!!!!!
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 2:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nlonnon
by Tasha on Aug. 4, 2012 at 6:59 AM
4 moms liked this
Hug momma. My first bit of advise would be to put the scale away. Also remember to take this one meal and snack at a time. Track your calories and make some gradual changes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 4, 2012 at 7:48 AM
2 moms liked this

Hugs mama!  I agree with Tasha...put that stupid scale away!  I have to do that at times, and there's nothing wrong with that!  Focus on one day at a time and go from there...don't think about the future too much...it gets frustrating!  You can do this!  I know you can:)

Also, try thinking about small goals...getting in your healthy calories each day, doing some sort of exercise, drinking enough water, etc.  Focus on other goals than just weight loss!

mcginnisc
by Claire on Aug. 4, 2012 at 7:51 AM
2 moms liked this

Oh honey...

Step away from the scale. There is no reason at all to weigh multiple times in a day. Your weight is going to fluctuate daily due to water weight, clothing, etc..all it will do is serve to make you crazy. Only weigh once per week if you are getting upset by the numbers. 

You HAVE to eat. Period. You barely put down 1000 calories! Do you track your calories at all? If not, please let me do your BMR. I will need your age, height, weight and the number of days per week you workout. I would recommend that you track using a website such as: www.myfitnesspal.com, www.sparkpeople.com or www.livestrong.com

Your body needs fuel to function properly. Eating so little is going to cause your body to begin to break down rapidly....especially if you are working out at all. 

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

toniar
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 7:52 AM

I totally agree with putting that scale away!! At most only weigh yourself once a week. Also you can join myfitnesspal.com to help track your calories and how much you should be eating in order to lose weight. If you aren't eating enough your body will hold on to all of the fat it can thinking it's starving. Eating 5-6 smaller meals a day keeps your metabolism running high. :) You can do this!!!

jendawn1
by Ruby Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 9:32 AM
All these ladies are right.
Put that scale away. Maybe set a workout goal to work towards instead.
Getting your bmr done will help you so much! Also water start drinking half your body weight in oz of water a day. Good luck and we are here for you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
itsm3
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 9:52 AM
1 mom liked this

woman, i haven't had a scale in my house for YEARS for that very reason.  liberate yourself from that blasted scale!!!!

go by inches lost, not the scale.  when i get my period, i look and feel (and am) at least 2-3lbs heavier.  so  many things can throw off the scale.

i agree with everything the pp's say... start a change and change your lifestyle.  focus on getting HEALTHY and the weight WILL drop off... it's all about perspective :)

visit me at my blog:  vodka and soda | www.lifeinprogress.ca

i'm charting my progress of the 30-day shred  |  journey to a healther me

mizhoward
by Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 9:57 AM

I only weigh once a month at Curves.  They also take our measurements too.  At first I was disappointed because I gained weight, but she explained that the fat was going to tone up and then I would see a difference and I did.  So put the scale away as everyone else has said.

reneawesley
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 10:12 AM
I agree with these ladies. Put the scale away.
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Aug. 4, 2012 at 11:27 AM

That's definitely obsessive, mama. It might be time to put the scale away for awhile, honestly.  If you can't weigh yourself once a day or less, that's a problem.  You cannot let the scale determine your whole day.  You need to be eating enough to allow your body to function properly.

I know how it feels to have over 100 lbs to lose.  I was 269 lbs in Feb 2010.  It scared the hell out of me.  My blood pressure was climbing, I had no energy, and I was worried about being able to keep up with my growing son.  I got serious about it, and by eating clean and exercising, I've lost 109 lbs so far, and I'm still going.  I seriously eat over 2000 calories a day even now, and I'm still losing.  You really do need to eat enough calories, mama!  You'll have more energy, stay healthy, and feel better overall!

Allow Claire to calculate your calories out for you, and start eating more (bagels and cream cheese are crap, BTW- switch to whole grain, lean proteins, healthy fats, and fruits and veggies).  Do you work out at all?

Do you have any support around you?  It can be helpful to have a friend to go walking with or to at least talk to; just don't RELY on them to keep you motivated.  Motivation must come from within.

You can do this!  It's all about being healthy and feeling good, right?  That scale isn't helping you right now, so put it away, and focus on how clothes are fitting.  Take some pics of yourself in a swimsuit now, put them where you can see them, and then get moving (and eating!), mama!  Good luck!!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

eema.gray
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 1:33 PM

I'm "supposed" to weigh in once a week.  Most weeks, I forget.  :-)  Measurements do a better job of calculating how effective your weight loss plan is.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)