Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Muscle does not weigh more than fat.

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 4:11 PM
  • 14 Replies
3 moms liked this

One pound of muscle equals one pound of fat, no more, no less.  

However, one pound of muscle is significantly smaller than one pound of fat.  = perhaps inches lost not but pounds lost.  This is why it's good to take measurements and not rely on only the scale.

Here is a visual:

by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 4:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ballerina.2006
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 4:14 PM
2 moms liked this
Thank you! That phrase drives me batty! Muscle takes up less space thus more muscle can take the place of less fat. The orange/grapefruit pictures are my favorite visuals!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Idntreallycare
by Silver Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 4:28 PM
1 mom liked this

THANK YOU! I keep seeing people post this as a way to cheer people up who are losing inches but not pounds. A pound = a pound... whether you gain 5 pounds of fat, 5 pounds of muscle, or stuff 5 pounds of cast iron in your mouth. 

Inches are often more telling than pounds, but man it's faster to just jump on the scale

reneawesley
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 5:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks for posting this.
snowpeasmom
by Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 5:45 PM
If you have the same volume of make as you do fat. Then the volume would weight more. So 3 cups of muscles does weight more than three cups of muscles so the statement can be correct. Its just missing the words volume.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
snowpeasmom
by Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 5:49 PM
If you loose 3 pounds of fat but gain 5 pounds of muscles you would loose inches and be healthier, but gain weight. The volume of space within you is now smaller because the day is gone and replaced with smaller denser muscles. So, the statement gain is true, in a way. See comment above.

Quoting Idntreallycare:

THANK YOU! I keep seeing people post this as a way to cheer people up who are losing inches but not pounds. A pound = a pound... whether you gain 5 pounds of fat, 5 pounds of muscle, or stuff 5 pounds of cast iron in your mouth. 

Inches are often more telling than pounds, but man it's faster to just jump on the scale

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jendawn1
by Ruby Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 6:51 PM
Like like like!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kmary
by Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 7:04 PM

To be fair, when people say this it's usually just an easier way to say that muscle is more dense, etc.  I don't think people actually think that 1 lb of one thing is heavier than 1 lb of another.  It's like when people say "muscle burns fat."  Even though that statement is false.  Muscle doesn't burn fat.  You burn fat and you build muscle and they're two different mechanisms happening in your body, sometimes simultaneously.  And having more muscle does cause you to burn more calories overall, which can help burn fat.  But I know what they actually mean.  It's just a simple saying to quickly get their point across.  No biggie.

Charleereno
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 7:17 PM
Thanks for clarifying. I like the visuals.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 7, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Love this!  Thanks for sharing!

CamMa
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 11:59 PM
1 mom liked this
I have a lot of grapefruits in me then. I hate grapefruit!

Thank you!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)