Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Result of Being Sweet and NOT Nagging

Posted by   + Show Post

I've been trying to transition my family to a "caveman" diet (no sugar, no grain/legumes/pulses, no dairy) since last spring.  My husband has been stubbornly resisting.  He loves his bread, his pasta, his sweet tea, his cheese (cheese is my downfall also).  But I've been calmly limiting bread to the occassional loaf, serving pasta only once or twice a month, etc, being patient and considerate and listening to his desires and accomdating them as best I can without completely ruining the transition process.

Lo and behold, last night, husband told me he would like the whole family to g caveman for a year.  He's so enthusiastic that he's actually said himself that he thinks we'll probably never go back to anything else.

Turns out, a decade ago, he got an earful from a doctor who told him his cholesterol levels were so high, he should be dead.  I knew that part of the story but not what came after; the doctor told him he should look into the paleo diet as a way to bring his cholesterol levels down.  Since he didn't know what that was, it went in one ear and out the other.  Last night, I bought two "paleo" cookbooks.  Husband leafed through, got excited about all the yummy food he would actually like to eat, and decided to jump on board.

Lesson learned:  Nagging doesn't accomplish anything.  Calmly, gently, and sweetly proceeding with one's plan does work.  :-)

"I am only one, but I am still one; I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do." ~~ Edward Everett Hale 1822-1909
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 10:49 AM
Replies (11-16):
eema.gray
by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Mine is the same way.  ;-)  Every aisle holds temptations for the 3 year old inhabiting the back of his brain.

Quoting MamaKarrot:

LOL see we have the opposite problem, DH doesn't mind shopping but he's been banished by me.  I swear that man morphs into a 6 year old at the grocery store, "LOOK! Chocolate frosted flakes! OMG LOOK!" And then the cart is full of spam and vienna sausages.  He has to work weekends a lot and gets days off during the week and he always tries to shoot for payday off so he can come shopping.  Finally I was like look, no.  Two kids is enough, haha.

Quoting EiuGirl316:

Ahh, this sounds familiar. When and if I hear whining, I tell him to come shopping with me. That gets him quiet really quick since he HATES shopping. :-P

Quoting MamaKarrot:

that's awesome. :)  I nag my husband, but when it comes down to it, he works and I'm home cooking and shopping - so he eats what I bring home and make, easy enough LOL.

"I am only one, but I am still one; I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do." ~~ Edward Everett Hale 1822-1909
JasonsMom2007
by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 4:03 PM
Funny how that's basically the same diet I've been warned I'm losing too much weight on in this group. We are at 3 weeks and have seen great improvement.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eema.gray
by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 6:30 PM

:-O

How much have you lost?

We're transitioning to full paleo over the course of August (husband needs time to fully comprehend what he's getting into) but I've been really strict on dairy and grain consumption for myself and kids.  My son has had this light excema-like non itchy rash on his legs since he was 3 months old (he'll be 5 in December) and today I noticed it is completely gone.  I've tried all sorts of diet modifications to get rid of that rash and nothing has worked until now.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Funny how that's basically the same diet I've been warned I'm losing too much weight on in this group. We are at 3 weeks and have seen great improvement.

LindaClement
by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Well learned!!

My parents went vegetarian ... ooh, years ago now, because my mom always kinda wanted to be, and my dad was finally willing to try it (to see if it helped his health or weight).

It's made a tremendous difference in their lives.

JasonsMom2007
by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 11:54 PM

22 lbs :)

Quoting eema.gray:

:-O

How much have you lost?

We're transitioning to full paleo over the course of August (husband needs time to fully comprehend what he's getting into) but I've been really strict on dairy and grain consumption for myself and kids.  My son has had this light excema-like non itchy rash on his legs since he was 3 months old (he'll be 5 in December) and today I noticed it is completely gone.  I've tried all sorts of diet modifications to get rid of that rash and nothing has worked until now.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
EiuGirl316
by Leah on Aug. 15, 2012 at 9:43 AM

That's actually sort of adorable! I can see what you mean though. I notice when SO comes that we always end up spending WAY more because he throws in stuff for work, LOL. 

Quoting MamaKarrot:

LOL see we have the opposite problem, DH doesn't mind shopping but he's been banished by me.  I swear that man morphs into a 6 year old at the grocery store, "LOOK! Chocolate frosted flakes! OMG LOOK!" And then the cart is full of spam and vienna sausages.  He has to work weekends a lot and gets days off during the week and he always tries to shoot for payday off so he can come shopping.  Finally I was like look, no.  Two kids is enough, haha.

Quoting EiuGirl316:

Ahh, this sounds familiar. When and if I hear whining, I tell him to come shopping with me. That gets him quiet really quick since he HATES shopping. :-P

Quoting MamaKarrot:

that's awesome. :)  I nag my husband, but when it comes down to it, he works and I'm home cooking and shopping - so he eats what I bring home and make, easy enough LOL.

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)